The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-28-2020, 01:49 PM   #1
jayoldschool

The little things make a difference

Haven't done much to my 65 for awhile. I worked it like a dog in August as I moved out of my big house/garage. Moving into the new place at the end of November, so I brought it into the shop today to fix up a few little things.

Did grounds on the rear tail light that hasn't worked correctly forever. It's fine now, perfect tail light, signal and brake. Then, added grounds. Two cab to frame. Cab to bed. Bed to cab. Bed to frame.

Swapped out the 12 year old battery to a much newer Delco 24 that was here at the shop. Hopefully, I won't have to break out the booster pack like I used to when it has sat for a few weeks.

Took apart the headlights, replaced the driver's side adjusters. One had broken, light was pointing at the ground. Couldn't find adjusters that fit at the parts place, so I cut the tabs off a couple to make them work in the little square holes.

Finally, added shifter linkage bushings at the trans. What a difference!

Need the truck tomorrow to make a delivery, around 70 miles after work. Should be fun.
jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 02:56 PM   #2
The Rocknrod

Re: The little things make a difference

Well that's cool. BTW the Truck Shop in Orange, CA carries the adjusters.
http://www.truckandcarshop.com/6072.html
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 03:13 PM   #3
cwcarpenter98

They really do make a huge difference.

Next time I go home and have all my wiring components at hand, I'm also going to add a bunch of grounds to the truck. I don't want to catch on fire cruising down the interstate because I didn't have good grounds!

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 03:19 PM   #4
roll_the_dice

I agree the little things make our trucks much better. As soon as I get my truck back, I will be adding a few grounds as well. I have the engine well grounded, but need to ground the cab and bed better.
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 05:19 PM   #5
jayoldschool

One of the other things that I got to enjoy today was working defrost on both sides! I replaced the missing driver's side duct during the summer, and it was sure nice to have warm air blowing on my side of the windshield as it was cold (about 30F) and misty this morning on my way to work. Routing that driver's side duct was a pain, but well worth it. BTW, my CDN parts source was OOS, so I bought the correct size tubing off Amazon. Worked perfectly.
jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:33 PM   #6
AcampoDave

Yep, a bunch of little problems can soon become a big one. I see it my career with swimming pools all the time too. A broken "this" and a malfunctioning "that" combined with a neglected "something else" and pretty soon it's..."Hey, check it out, I got my own personal swamp right here in the backyard!"
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 08:05 PM   #7
Railroadman

And the satisfaction of getting all that stuff done is a real boost to morale. I find that if i keep a running list of stuff each vehicle needs, it's a help, especially when I have limited time to work on something. Let's see, what can I tackle in an hour?

It sure beats thinking of an item, then forgetting what it was before you get to it. When the flashing lights come on in the rear view, it's too late to remember to change the burned out tail light!

Unfortunately for each thing I cross off the list, there's usually 4 more to add on!
Railroadman is offline   Reply With Quote