The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-07-2020, 10:39 AM   #51
special-K
Special Order

Re: What's the coolest/most interesting thing you've found in your truck

I could be wrong but I think Mr. Albers, the previous owner of the '72, liked to smoke his Tiparilo cigars and light them with the little wooden matches. I was left with cigar tips in the stake pockets, match sticks anywhere you could imagine, and blue carpet with black polka dots from all the burns.

When I bought the '71 Custom Camper/20 back in '88 I was left with some 12v accessories like lights and a fan. And the original owner had spare lenses, bulbs, and complete lights packed carefully in tin boxes. He had fuses and other odd spare parts for the camper. It even had a "Keep On Campin'" door mat

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 11:22 AM   #52
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Gotta say my C20 has only let me down once when my project truck was in need, that being an inner fender. So everything else very cool, hardware included. A personal favorite was A/C retainers I didn't know I was missing. Most recently I prepped my ash tray housing only to find one of the plastic tracks was chipped. Still works, which is more than I can say for many components in that C20. Love driving it, sometimes the wipers even work

OT, I think the ashtray housing tracks are installed like the dust covers on front of steering wheels, 71ish steering wheel anyway. I forget the process, but they're a melted plastic rivet of sorts.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:10 PM   #53
notsolo

I found 5lbs of mulch.
Attached Images

notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:51 PM   #54
desert-rat

My truck use to belong to Lockheed and i found this realy cool thing on the floor underneath the rubber mat. Also found a .03 stamp.
Attached Images

desert-rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:55 PM   #55
tim71

I found (under seat) 3 credit cards dating back to mid 70's, a California boat registration sticker, some Columbian currency, and a couple charge receipts for gasoline. These items helped me research and learn that I am only owner number 3 of my truck.
I can not figure out why my photos are loading upside down or why I can't flip them.
Attached Images

tim71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 10:07 PM   #56
Boog
laying low

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Yeah, sorry that wasn't true. It was his brother
So some one took a nasty pic of the previous owner and his brother?
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 09:25 AM   #57
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim71 View Post
I found (under seat) 3 credit cards dating back to mid 70's, a California boat registration sticker, some Columbian currency, and a couple charge receipts for gasoline. These items helped me research and learn that I am only owner number 3 of my truck.
I can not figure out why my photos are loading upside down or why I can't flip them.
All that looks pretty shady. Colombian cash, boats, credit cards, sounds like an episode of Miami Vice.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 09:43 AM   #58
67C10Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68bowtie View Post
Without question the most “common” thing I’ve found in these old trucks is boxes of bullets. At least half the trucks have had some caliber. From .22’s to .357’s.
Most of these trucks probably had some caliber of firearm on display in the back glass or possibly in or under the seat for much of their lives.

I posted this photo a week or so ago about the nice discovery in my glove box. It's also nice to see my truck is actually a local. Bought right here in town on 9/28/1967 at the then local Chevy dealer.

One of the first not so nice finds was one of the biggest brown recluse spiders I had ever seen in the first 2-3 days I owned the truck. It got a bug bomb rolled into the floor board after that discovery.
Attached Images

2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 09:45 AM   #59
j_cst_10

Pull tabs and bullets haha. Every truck I've owned

1966 Coronet 440 35k mile survivor
1991 Suburban 2500 454/4L80E 2wd
1985 Monte Carlo SS 383 Sbc, t-56 magnum 6spd and Ford 9"
j_cst_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 12:33 PM   #60
toolboxchev

Lots of work, endless fixing and repairing stuff that lasted for 50 years. And endless journey of learning!
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 11:00 PM   #61
clay68c10

I found the movie ticket stub from my wife and I's first date back in 1997.
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 09:54 PM   #62
CryingJoker

I found the original owners manual in the glovebox and thought that was interesting enough. Then we went to bring it home today and when strapping down the rear end I happened to look up and see this
[IMG][/IMG]
My great grandfather who was the original owner had a piece of diamond plate welded in over the wood floor as he would use the truck to haul everything including yearlings in the bed. I recently discovered he even left the wood floor in and had the steel on top of it. The wood apparently got a hole before then and he used what he had to patch the hole. Will definitely be setting them aside when I take apart the bed.
80 c10: for sale just collecting dust
94 c1500: hauler to and from
55 chevy: hot rod project jus reborn
CryingJoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 10:44 PM   #63
lugnut

Owners manual, protect o plate and the dealer emblem. Turns out the dealer has passed on but his son has a new Chevy dealership now. I'm going to contact him sometime and tell him I have a truck his father sold in 1967.
2004 GMC Envoy 4x4 (wife's)
lugnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:12 PM   #64
CryingJoker

Ok I take back my previous post as I cleaned out the cab of the truck today. After blowing out 10 lbs of pecans a few rats decided to store there. Also finding two rat skeletons and one big live one decided it was time to move. But also amongst the glove box and cab I found a sealed deck of cards with the hole drilled in them after play in lake Tahoe Caesars palace, 2 sets of sealed ac spark plugs for the truck, the radio delete plate that was removed in the 70s, and weirdest of all 2 railroad spikes. I asked my dad who was the last owner and he says "with your great grandfather theres no telling where or why".
[IMG][/IMG]
80 c10: for sale just collecting dust
94 c1500: hauler to and from
55 chevy: hot rod project jus reborn
CryingJoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 11:10 PM   #65
toolboxchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryingJoker View Post
Ok I take back my previous post as I cleaned out the cab of the truck today. After blowing out 10 lbs of pecans a few rats decided to store there. Also finding two rat skeletons and one big live one decided it was time to move. But also amongst the glove box and cab I found a sealed deck of cards with the hole drilled in them after play in lake Tahoe Caesars palace, 2 sets of sealed ac spark plugs for the truck, the radio delete plate that was removed in the 70s, and weirdest of all 2 railroad spikes. I asked my dad who was the last owner and he says "with your great grandfather theres no telling where or why".
[IMG][/IMG]
We use them up in the Pacific NW as weights fishing for Salmon. The river is extremely rocky and you lose one almost every cast.

May find a whole pile of them in my rig.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 02:55 PM   #66
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Not that cool but a little funny, I pulled my busted S duct to see how stuffs routed in my rough truck, and noticed it was a little crowded in the dash above the floor duct, beginning with the clamp. After a minute or so of pulling things out I found some disappointment that was it; was kind of like Christmas. Somehow the original glove box liner is still installed and intact.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 08-09-2021, 04:27 PM   #67
72afr
Beep! Beep!

I posted it in my build thread, but I found some original ARMY documents from its service time as well as an inspection sheet from its Fire Department days.
2019 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon (the wife's baby hauler)
72afr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 04:32 PM   #68
68Gold/white

In 1980 I was looking for a pickup, had to be a Chevrolet (captain Obvious!!!!). Just wanted a pickup. It's so convenient to own one!!!

I worked for a company that manufactured oil site tanks. My job every day was to go to the DOT office and get overload/size permits. I was talking to the gut in charge, there, about looking for a Chevy pickup. He said, Hey, my buddy has one. He told where it was. I knocked on the door to make sure everything was good, the folks at the home did not own the pickup, but knew I was coming.

It was full of construction scraps. I found out I had to take them, as part of the deal....no problem.

It was /is a dull Gold color, white trim. Man, I'm think'n is this ugly!!!

I knew exactly how to open the hood. I pried it open, first thing I noticed was the rusty chrome big block valve covers with the remnants of the Tonawanda decal on the pass side. It had AC, P/S, P/B, and a TH400, all original!!! I thought I had won the lottery!!!
Got in touch with the owner to make sure it ran and drove, he said he' guarantee THAT!!!!

Even being in my early 20's at that time, I wanted to make sure NO ONE else knew about this pickup, that could come buy it out from under me, in the one days time until I paid for it. Got the deal done!!!

It's NOT in much better shape, now, BUT I have ALL the pieces, and am gaining momentum towards its build!!!

Last edited by 68Gold/white; 08-09-2021 at 04:42 PM.
68Gold/white is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 11:05 PM   #69
BRL

Found this little Craftsman 3/8" ratchet in the passenger front fender pocket of a used car lot '73 truck when I was searching for any trash that might cause rust.

Guessing maybe somebody set it on the battery, closed the hood, and made a sharp left turn.

It even says USA made.

How neat!

BRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 11:06 PM   #70
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Gold/white View Post
In 1980 I was looking for a pickup, had to be a Chevrolet (captain Obvious!!!!). Just wanted a pickup. It's so convenient to own one!!!

I worked for a company that manufactured oil site tanks. My job every day was to go to the DOT office and get overload/size permits. I was talking to the gut in charge, there, about looking for a Chevy pickup. He said, Hey, my buddy has one. He told where it was. I knocked on the door to make sure everything was good, the folks at the home did not own the pickup, but knew I was coming.

It was full of construction scraps. I found out I had to take them, as part of the deal....no problem.

It was /is a dull Gold color, white trim. Man, I'm think'n is this ugly!!!

I knew exactly how to open the hood. I pried it open, first thing I noticed was the rusty chrome big block valve covers with the remnants of the Tonawanda decal on the pass side. It had AC, P/S, P/B, and a TH400, all original!!! I thought I had won the lottery!!!
Got in touch with the owner to make sure it ran and drove, he said he' guarantee THAT!!!!

Even being in my early 20's at that time, I wanted to make sure NO ONE else knew about this pickup, that could come buy it out from under me, in the one days time until I paid for it. Got the deal done!!!

It's NOT in much better shape, now, BUT I have ALL the pieces, and am gaining momentum towards its build!!!
Nice score. My C10 came as a surprise because I didn't know what I was looking at. All I saw was a great looking Maaco all white nothing sacred paint job, and I was prepared to buy it without even knowing anything about a BBC.

Many years passed having others do other than maintenance & simple. I realized when I tore it down it was mostly intact before my purchase, though the former owner was all things RV, front to back. Doesn't bode well for "sport truck". Bed was mostly ruined & saddle tanks. 28 years later I discovered it was t-boned Made for a long day. I likely ended up with it because it was wrecked & painted, it was one owner less the dealer between us.

The car lot is still there, only it fell under many names over the last 32 years. It's in the center of main street, the truck was parked on the corner, my old paper route boundary. It's still a car lot because the lot is too small for anything else. When I was a kid I ran a car wash/gas on the next smallest lot on main, just up the street. My favorite job All that's left of it are two self-serve gas pumps & a trash can.
Old 08-09-2021, 11:44 PM   #71
jocko

Not necessarily found "in" the truck - more like "on" the truck. But my 72 had this cool old (not "that" old) Colorado start parks pass that I liked for some reason!
Attached Images

jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 11:53 AM   #72
mkmc69

Found what appears to be a bullet hole in the floor under the passengers side of the seat. Probably part of the reason the seat had been recovered when I bought it.
mkmc69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 03:01 PM   #73
LEEVON

I've had my truck 26 years, maybe it's time to take it apart and see what I left in there a couple decades ago haha! I did find a wrench in the front fender once, that was mine and long lost.
Old 08-10-2021, 03:30 PM   #74
Killer Bee

last year my son and I were driving to the agco dealer in higginsville for harvester parts..

just shy of the exit, the longhorn started overheating but I made it to the exit, barely but boy was it hot..

popped the hood and found the fan belt shredded..

within 2 minutes, 3 people stopped to help, not kidding, but the last man insisted so we took him up on his assistance..

he drove us into town and not only to get a belt, but made sure we stopped at the tractor dealer before they closed

turns out he was the manager of the casey's at that exit and insisted I take his number in case I had any further trouble, super nice and generous man..

so after getting home I decided I needed to throw a couple of things under the seat for such emergencies..

wait for it.....

first thing I found under the seat was an alternator belt - thanks Russ
Old 08-10-2021, 03:53 PM   #75
Davidf

Talking Re: What's the coolest/most interesting thing you've found in your truck

"What's the coolest/most interesting thing you've found in your truck"

I am having a hard time answering this question...keep flip flopping between me or my wife. Better go with my wife, she is the coolest thing I have ever found in my truck

Edit: Bah, just realized my response is not original...oh well, still true.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote