The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-09-2011, 12:13 AM   #1
Pop's C-10

Re: Got my Leroy's! (TTII's)

A 2/4 drop would level it out...but i like tha rake with tha TTII
Pop's C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:50 PM   #2
bluex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop's C-10 View Post
A 2/4 drop would level it out...but i like tha rake with tha TTII
Ya, it has a 2.5/4 drop now. Since it was a Big 10/Heavy Half to start with, it was higher than average I guess?

I have noticed that the rear spings are contacting the bed support at the shackle end. That could be holding it up some as well. Hopefully the new springs will remedy that as well.
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:59 PM   #3
Pyrotechnic

I would recommend rather than swapping springs, just take some leafs out of the ones you have. Mine is a heavy half and it came with 8 leaf springs that had a ridiculous overload spring. I took out the overload plus another one on in the middle of the pack somewhere and it made a big difference. It rides much smoother and it lowered the rear pretty much level with the front. I can still haul a load in the back too no problem.

Keep in mind, a longer leaf spring will actually ride much smoother than a shorter one. If you take some leafs out of your long springs, you can actually end up with the same spring rate but a smoother ride than the short springs.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:32 PM   #4
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic View Post
I would recommend rather than swapping springs, just take some leafs out of the ones you have. Mine is a heavy half and it came with 8 leaf springs that had a ridiculous overload spring. I took out the overload plus another one on in the middle of the pack somewhere and it made a big difference. It rides much smoother and it lowered the rear pretty much level with the front. I can still haul a load in the back too no problem.

Keep in mind, a longer leaf spring will actually ride much smoother than a shorter one. If you take some leafs out of your long springs, you can actually end up with the same spring rate but a smoother ride than the short springs.
Nah. I would recommend a flip kit and 3" spindles with a drop spring for the front to get it where it should be. Keep the HD springs, and go lower.

Whichever way you go, it looks good, Paul.

Last edited by Jonboy; 05-09-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:19 PM   #5
bluex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
Nah. I would recommend a flip kit and 3" spindles with a drop spring for the front to get it where it should be. Keep the HD springs, and go lower.

Whichever way you go, it looks good, Paul.

I may go that route, but I would love to get the trailing arm kit so I'm on the fence about spending any real money on the rear suspension. The springs I have I got with a rolling chassis which I stripped for my K5 project so they are freebies in a sense. The front is kinda the same, if I do the trailing arm kit I will throw bags in it all around instead of springs...

I'm also not swapping spindles since I have a 2.5" drop Western Chassis ones, but I could take out about 1/4-1/2 a coil to get that other .5". But again, why do that if eventually I'll be on bags anyways????
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:41 PM   #6
Pop's C-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluex View Post
Ya, it has a 2.5/4 drop now. Since it was a Big 10/Heavy Half to start with, it was higher than average I guess?

I have noticed that the rear spings are contacting the bed support at the shackle end. That could be holding it up some as well. Hopefully the new springs will remedy that as well.
Mine is doing tha same thing..i'm move tha shackle back to tha other holes & see where that gets me..
Pop's C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote