The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-14-2020, 09:55 AM   #1
dz1087

Looking to Buy a Camper Trailer

I'm looking to get a camper trailer and will be pulling it with the Cheyenne. I'd like to get some opinions from the board on my plan and what I'm missing and/or need before executing.

Truck specifics:
71 C10 SWB
Rebuilt 350
Rebuilt TH350C
Rebuilt 3.42 Limited Slip 12 Bolt
Front Power Discs
Rear Factory Leafs
Receiver Hitch is rated at 1,000/10,000

The trailers we are looking at would be at max about 4,000, and maybe 4,500 fully loaded with all of our glamping gear. The trailers at the upper end of this range, from about 3,500 and up all have electric brakes. Tongue weights run up to about 400. Length would be 17 feet or under.

Is this advisable? Would I need to run a weight distro hitch? Would the SWB be overcome under braking?
dz1087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 10:07 AM   #2
Redneck Rydes

Re: Looking to Buy a Camper Trailer

Trailer brakes would be a great idea,Weight distributing may not be required,I have towed a lot of trailers,and trailer brakes are a must,travelling down hills,emergency situations,and just driving with the idiots around you,
Redneck Rydes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 10:14 AM   #3
hotsam

I think your truck will handle what you described with no problems at all !! Trailer brakes are a must though. Your truck would stop it all but situations arise when trailer brakes are a life saver. Not to mention keeping your trucks brakes in better shape longer..
1955 2 door 210 post
hotsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 10:24 AM   #4
dz1087

One thing I'm worried about is trailer sway. Where the trailer begins swaying out of control and jack-knifing with the tow rig. I'm guessing it would be more prevalent with the SWB vs. a LWB.

What causes that, and how do I avoid it?
Old 10-14-2020, 10:46 AM   #5
sick472

A few trailers that I have had trouble with them swaying back and forth (trying to get out of control) were ones with short tongues AND being pulled by a short wheel base vehicle (like a Jeep pulling a small home made short truck bed trailer). Good Shocks on both the rig and trailer make a big difference too! I also tend to run the air pressure in the tires on the higher side to avoid tire bounce that can get rhythmic.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 10:49 AM   #6
dagnabbitt

Something with a torsion bar hitch might eliminate trailer sway. YOu have power discs on the front so I think you are fine.

But: what do you think your swb weighs? I think less than 4000 lbs, probably. If you are pulling something heavier than the truck then electric trailer brakes are a must.
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 11:14 AM   #7
FirstOwner69

Trailer sway is generally the result of too little tongue weight. An absolute minimum tongue weight is 10% of the loaded trailer weight. 15% would be better. A weight distributing hitch may also help overall control.
Old 10-14-2020, 01:31 PM   #8
bry593

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
Trailer sway is generally the result of too little tongue weight. An absolute minimum tongue weight is 10% of the loaded trailer weight. 15% would be better. A weight distributing hitch may also help overall control.
^ Spot on ^

An excellent brake controller is the Austrailian RedArc. Can be manual, proportional or fixed at whatever setting you like. It also fits nicely in the spot directly under the wiper switch. I believe the early trucks had accessories in this position, maybe a choke or something like that. Whatever the case, it was a perfect location that looks completely natural in the dash bezel of my '71 C20.
Old 10-14-2020, 11:54 PM   #9
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

I have an equalized load trailer hitch for the 26' travel trailer that I have. I haven't put the stabilizer on it yet, but the one time I got in a bad cross wind in the Antelope Valley (California), it got pretty hairy. I just held the steering straight and let the wind whistle. That trailer is 26' with dual wheels, so really pretty stable. I didn't want to get into micro-managing the sway, but I'll be having the anti-sway kit welded on when I take the trailer in for some warranty work. I'm also looking at installing a rear stabilizer bar. I've been around this truck for 40 years, and the only time I've experienced pucker factor is after I had the Firestone Trans-Force tires installed awhile back. Even with 10 psi more in the rear tires, I get a lot of oversteer- enough that the wife even commented on my driving (like that's anything new!). That was without the trailer, btw.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 10:36 AM   #10
72c20customcamper

I've been towing campers for 40 years. Anything over 3500 will have brakes. I use the Reese dual cam sway control its acts as a sway/ weight distributing hitch . The friction type in my opinion dont work well. If you get some sway it's best to keep your foot on the gas and manually hit the trailer brakes . The drag will usually straighten the rig out but even the most experienced operator can run into trouble watched a freinds rig roll on its side coming back from South Carolina. No one got hurt but the tow vehicle and rig were totalled.

Also keep an eye on the weight you put in the rig most people just throw stuff in and go not realizing that they are overloaded.
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 01:39 PM   #11
dz1087

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
I've been towing campers for 40 years. Anything over 3500 will have brakes. I use the Reese dual cam sway control its acts as a sway/ weight distributing hitch . The friction type in my opinion dont work well. If you get some sway it's best to keep your foot on the gas and manually hit the trailer brakes . The drag will usually straighten the rig out but even the most experienced operator can run into trouble watched a freinds rig roll on its side coming back from South Carolina. No one got hurt but the tow vehicle and rig were totalled.

Also keep an eye on the weight you put in the rig most people just throw stuff in and go not realizing that they are overloaded.
Good points to think about. I appreciate it.
Old 10-15-2020, 03:29 PM   #12
Bimus

My fresh water tank is in the front of the trailer and the waste water tanks are in the back of the trailer so a weight distributing hitch is a must have
Bimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 04:40 PM   #13
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1087 View Post
I'm looking to get a camper trailer and will be pulling it with the Cheyenne. I'd like to get some opinions from the board on my plan and what I'm missing and/or need before executing.

Truck specifics:
71 C10 SWB
Rebuilt 350
Rebuilt TH350C
Rebuilt 3.42 Limited Slip 12 Bolt
Front Power Discs
Rear Factory Leafs
Receiver Hitch is rated at 1,000/10,000

The trailers we are looking at would be at max about 4,000, and maybe 4,500 fully loaded with all of our glamping gear. The trailers at the upper end of this range, from about 3,500 and up all have electric brakes. Tongue weights run up to about 400. Length would be 17 feet or under.

Is this advisable? Would I need to run a weight distro hitch? Would the SWB be overcome under braking?
Might be mentioned, but check your GVWR for your truck, I'm now curious myself. That's the max weight your truck is valued at, including the weight of the truck, persons, gas, cargo and everything else RV/tow. In other terms, everything. Your hitch is solid, just know that truck wasn't meant to tow 10,000. IMO you want to remain minimum 1K pounds lighter than the GVWR.

My guess is 4K or lower is a good place to be. I owned a few Fun Finders my old 4.7 Tundra could pull, the dry weight on those is 3800ish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimus View Post
My fresh water tank is in the front of the trailer and the waste water tanks are in the back of the trailer so a weight distributing hitch is a must have
Agree and stabilizer bar makes a difference too. Just know weight distribution bars will leave A BIG MARK if you're careless and especially ALWAYS slack on their chains on & off - jack that sucker up until that happens. Imagine 800 LBs. behind a pipe striking your foot, for example. I know four guys who have been injured, and I'm one of them. Dumb luck no residuals to whine about, I forgot my shoes and ended up buying one's with a 3/4" thick tongue for the trip. Never felt that kind of pain before, not recommended
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 10-15-2020 at 05:01 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:28 PM   #14
tutone

Just wondering, by you using the g word," glamping", are you looking for a vintage trailer to pull? If so, here are a couple of things to consider. Most, but not all, were single axle rigs and they get heavy in a hurry. Back in the day, camper manufacturers were not worried about selling a camper you could tow with whatever you pulled up in. Most people bought a heavy truck to pull a heavy camper. I pulled my Scotty ,(1100 lbs), all over the place with the 72 and it really never knew it was back there. A mid size say, Shasta Air Flyte will weigh in at 2100 fully loaded or there abouts. When you get much heavier than that, I'm afraid you will have to adjust your driving habits to blend in with traffic. Another thing we do and did, is take the parallel roads to the busy highways where we can to avoid semis and jackrabbit drivers on cell phones. Idiots are on every road, sorry I don't have a cure for that. With that said, proper brakes, hitches, and bags if needed are all good ideas. Happy camping.
PS, we love Navarre, we have stayed at the campground there several times over the last 15 years, even almost bought a 2nd home in a subdivision back behind Wal Mart during the housing crash of '08.
Attached Images

1955 210 2 dr sedan/1998 RCSB Z71

Last edited by tutone; 10-15-2020 at 07:34 PM. Reason: added
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 09:54 AM   #15
dz1087

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutone View Post
Just wondering, by you using the g word," glamping", are you looking for a vintage trailer to pull? If so, here are a couple of things to consider. Most, but not all, were single axle rigs and they get heavy in a hurry. Back in the day, camper manufacturers were not worried about selling a camper you could tow with whatever you pulled up in. Most people bought a heavy truck to pull a heavy camper. I pulled my Scotty ,(1100 lbs), all over the place with the 72 and it really never knew it was back there. A mid size say, Shasta Air Flyte will weigh in at 2100 fully loaded or there abouts. When you get much heavier than that, I'm afraid you will have to adjust your driving habits to blend in with traffic. Another thing we do and did, is take the parallel roads to the busy highways where we can to avoid semis and jackrabbit drivers on cell phones. Idiots are on every road, sorry I don't have a cure for that. With that said, proper brakes, hitches, and bags if needed are all good ideas. Happy camping.
PS, we love Navarre, we have stayed at the campground there several times over the last 15 years, even almost bought a 2nd home in a subdivision back behind Wal Mart during the housing crash of '08.
Interestingly, this was my father-in-law's old truck. They used to tote my wife, her brother, mom, and dad in the single cab towing an old Shasta to go camping all the time. That one weighed in at about 2,500. I even towed that camper a few times in high school when the wife and I were dating, driving this exact same truck. No issues at 2,500 lbs. but what we are looking at weighs in a bit heavier.

Funny though - we rented a house directly behind Walmart from 08 to 09 when we first got the the area. Then bought near Hwy 87 in 09.