The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2011, 12:10 AM   #26
d.garza9

Re: 72 Blazer - Here we Go

The Alien,
Yes the blazer was over all rust free. It was a great find. I am the third owner of the vehicle and the second owner only had it for three months. Advanced adapters did not have the the entire kit; I had to get each piece separately. Yes I do have the adapter that ties the transfer case and tranny together. I wanted to try to use the stock transfer case adapter and cut it the .625" the instructions suggest. As you mentioned, I will have to remove the the bearing module inside the adapter and replace it with the non- bearing one from AA. I was informed that I will also have to cut the non- bearing coupling by .500" on the transmission side. Does this sound similar to what you did with your truck? I appreciate any suggestions or comments you may have.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile; winning's winning - Dominic Toretto

The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged- Deut. 31:8
d.garza9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:31 PM   #27
Thealien

Yes, I did have to cut my coupler and it is HARD. I wouldn't take the whole .500 off yet though. I would trial fit and measure, measur, measure. You can always cut more off. It is a pain to piece everything together only to have to take it apart again and again LOL. I was working by myself and must of had my engine in and out 8-10 times building and designing my crossmember.

Once you have taken the .625 off the face of the adapter you may have to grind/cut/machine a spot for the VSS. I used theirs so I did not have to machine the front of the adapter and taking the .625 might be enough for the VSS clearance. You will know soon as you bolt the 4-6 bolt adapter on. I am pretty sure the seal is on the next step on the adapter so the .625 might not have to be "machined"? Maybe just a grinder?

I put my VSS on the wrong side of the 4-6 bolt adapter and it is very close to the shifter. It works but would be better on the other side.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have and if I can I will help.
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:40 PM   #28
d.garza9

My buddy some sent me some pics of the truck. Cant wait to go and see it in person. I had the interior sprayed with Rhino Lining before it was painted. It looks like it might need a touch up. Also, it has the dash pad from LMC installed.
Attached Images

It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile; winning's winning - Dominic Toretto

The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged- Deut. 31:8
Old 07-20-2011, 07:09 PM   #29
CTENTA1
Registered 1971 K5

Nice progress! looking really nice. As for the rims I like them Old School. Running some 33's or 35's BGF Muds with some 15x12's MT Classic II's or better yet MT Challengers (No Longer Made)
CTENTA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:48 PM   #30
d.garza9

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.garza9 View Post
My buddy sent me some pics of the truck. Cant wait to go and see it in person. I had the interior sprayed with Rhino Lining before it was painted. It looks like it might need a touch up. Also, it has the dash pad from LMC installed.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 07-21-2011, 09:41 AM   #31
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

[QUOTE= Here are the pics of the 4l60e with the new shaft installed. It's all rebuilt. Also in the pics is the original np205 tranfer case. As I had mentioned I will need to take it to the machine shop to get it cut.[/QUOTE]
Have you thought about talking to the Guys at Advanced Adapters? They may have an adapter for that transfer case to the overdrive tranny. Just a thought.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:54 PM   #32
d.garza9

@ Tom Vogel,

I purchased all of the parts they,AA, suggested. I will call them back today, perhaps I missed something.

I am planning on cleaning the transfer case adapter this afternoon and taking it to the machine shop tomorrow. Let's hope that works out as planned. I have read that people paint or powder coat the transfer case. Please provide information if you guys have done this or seen it done on this web site or any website for that matter. Thanks.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:57 PM   #33
d.garza9

@ CTENTA1,

Thanks for the input. I am leaning towards the 33's for the Blazer. I just can't decide if I should go with 20" wheels or smaller. I know everyone is thinking that 20" wheels will look weird but I think they might work out. Still Undecided!!!

Old 07-22-2011, 09:43 AM   #34
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Quote:
@ CTENTA1,

Thanks for the input. I am leaning towards the 33's for the Blazer. I just can't decide if I should go with 20" wheels or smaller. I know everyone is thinking that 20" wheels will look weird but I think they might work out. Still Undecided!!!
Have you seen this one? I am not usually a fan of huge wheels, but I gotta say... looks pretty sweet to me.
Attached Images

Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:12 AM   #35
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

Quote:
@ CTENTA1,

20's with 33" tires is a little short on the side wall for a 4x4... I would go with 18's and 33's or 20's with 35's .... When I walk throught the parking lot at work I always look at rim/tire size to get an idea...

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:55 PM   #36
d.garza9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmlxix View Post
20's with 33" tires is a little short on the side wall for a 4x4... I would go with 18's and 33's or 20's with 35's .... When I walk throught the parking lot at work I always look at rim/tire size to get an idea...
That was my concern as well. I didn't want the truck to look like it was all wheels and no tires. Thanks for the advice!

Old 07-25-2011, 02:08 PM   #37
d.garza9

I worked on the transfer case for a while on Thursday. Being the novice that I am to this type of thing I was intigued to find out what the "NP" on the transfer case stood for. But now I know it stands for New Process, I think! I am still working on how to remove the internal piece of the TC adapter in order to install the one from AA. It has a small washer that looks like it needs to be removed first. I will have to try and remove it later this week. While I planned to take the adapter to the machine shop on this past Friday, my 51%, AKA the wife, had other plans for my weekend.
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2011, 02:14 PM   #38
d.garza9

Here is what I did this past weekend..................! This should buy me plenty of Blazer Time!
Attached Images

Old 07-28-2011, 02:31 PM   #39
d.garza9

In the process of purchasing a 4" or 6" suspension lift kit for the Blazer. I have heard of brands like Tuff Country and Sky Jacker. What brands have you guys used or recommend? Post pictures with the kits installed if you have any. Thanks.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:37 PM   #40
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

everyone over at coloradok5.com likes tuff country or bds for an off the shelf spring, alcans if you've got the cash.

My name tag says Ryan

KansasTwister On other forums
Walts_restoration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:21 AM   #41
BOHICA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walts_restoration View Post
everyone over at coloradok5.com likes tuff country or bds for an off the shelf spring, alcans if you've got the cash.
I was looking at BDS since I've always heard good things about them from Jeepers, but their basic kit ($600) only uses a block for the rear springs and their full kit is $1200. For that much, I think I'd just as soon get custom-made Deaver springs at $700 an axle (or Alcan, no idea what they cost).
BOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:37 AM   #42
VA72C10
VA72C10

Looking good!!!
Old 07-29-2011, 02:07 PM   #43
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Looking good! On the wheels, I'm a fan of big wheel, smaller tire...I know it's not the norm, but it's my preference. I actually think the Orange blazer wheel's are perfect. I wouldn't really take it wheelin', but I probably wouldn't take any freshly restored blazer wheelin'. The nice thing is, you can't go wrong with rally's either, since these look great with almost any wheel.

BTW, nice job on the fountain!
Old 08-23-2011, 04:22 PM   #44
d.garza9

Finally got the original TC adapter cut. Does anyone know where to get the motor mounts for this 5.3 swap? Performance online has a kit but it's not for 4 wheel drive.
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2011, 04:40 PM   #45
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Awesome build!

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:43 PM   #46
Thealien

Make sure you put that VSS on the opposite side of the shifter or it will be really tight.

I made my own crossmember/motor mounts using some DIY4X4 parts.

Pacific fabrication has a crossmember/motor mount for these trucks in 4X4. I believe firebirdjones recently used one on a stock height blazer with good results.
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:18 PM   #47
d.garza9

@ The Alien,

Just ordered one from Pacific Fabrication. We'll see how it goes. Thanks for the help.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:36 PM   #48
Geolblazer

Quote:
Thanks CTENTA1.

Guys I was thinking about this set up for the wheels and tires. Let me know what you think.
I had these on a toyota Tundra and they only lasted like 20,000 miles!
Geolblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:11 PM   #49
d.garza9

Got the engine cross member set up for the Blazer from Pacific Fabrication today. It appears to be very well made. Let's hope it works as good as it looks.
Attached Images

Old 08-31-2011, 06:14 PM   #50
d.garza9

Got another delivery today!! Doug Thorley headers for the Blazer.
Attached Images