The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-08-2019, 11:57 PM   #1
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

Rodstored-72's 1986 DD build

All,
well I am going to try this on my current build. I ALMOST tried to do a thread when I was building my 1972 swb truck, but it never even got this far, So here it goes. I guess this started about 6 mo. ago when the daughter was reaching the age of driving. I started looking into getting a newer truck for me and the daughter would (will/did) take over the car. Well if any of you have looked at the prices for trucks now… well you already know… LOL. So… I decided that I could build a body style truck that I have always liked for half of what a newer truck would cost!... so… here is my goal:
I have purchased a 1986 SWB 2wd Chevy truck (I had a ’79 Silverado in H.S.) I am planning to do a LS conversion and try to “modernize” it some as well. My plan is to keep it simple no heavy engine mods and end goal is to make it my daily driver that also looks nice and will be reliable. This is my plan:
1. 2013/newer 5.3 (4.8) engine and a 4L60E transmission. (6l80 if fits w/o mods)??
2. Dirty dingo or tajas steelworks motor mounts?? (leaning towards DD –here local)
3. Vintage air “sure fit” A.C. system (already purchased thru MCB parts)
4. Radiator thought is a BBC (1978 454 rad.) with correct upper pads?? (late model radi.)??
5. Running the elect. Fans from year of motor or flex a lite??
6. Doing the jeep steering shaft mod?? Supposedly tighter steering?
7. Later model front bucket seats and center console (Denali/Tahoe)?? Will check measurements and style/overall look of them.
8. Replace front end with 1987 stock version
9. Lowering kit 3.5 front & 4 in rear kit suggestions??
10. In general the body will be stock (maybe shave door gutters)??
11. Stock exhaust setup based from engine year and/ or truck year (whatever AZ ADEQ requires)?
Overall I will try to do a general overhaul/update based off of the work and techniques that has been shared by “N2TRUX” builds.
Things that I am not yet real sure on are:
1. Driveshaft – custom???
2. The OBDII connector? Does that typically come with engine wiring? Will I need to “install”separately??
3. AND NUMOURIOUS ITEMS THAT I HAVE NOT THOUGHT OF OR KNOW ABOUT YET!!!!
Pictures are of the day it arrived to its new home and then a few pictures of how it sits a week after purchase. I will try to update often (pictures of course). I will always accept thoughts questions and concerns from the valuable and knowledgeable friends on this site.
Name:  front pass side.jpg
Views: 3661
Size:  46.0 KB

Name:  me-truck.jpg
Views: 3589
Size:  70.5 KB

Name:  interior.jpg
Views: 3370
Size:  110.9 KB

Name:  original engine.jpg
Views: 3369
Size:  49.4 KB