The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-18-2013, 07:28 PM   #1626
hotrod1
56 - autocross

Re: Make it handle

Rob:

Can you address torque or HP when it comes to autox? Many are building engines to produce big torque. Is this good or does this cause lack of rear end control? That being said, 2 1/2 exhaust or 3" exhaust (to enhance torque or HP)?
hotrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:31 AM   #1627
jayman68
Fun Stuff

^^^ Along those same lines, in the May issue of Street Trucks they have an article following the install of a new cam and intake in Hell Boy. To start the dyno readings are 506 HP and 412 ft-lb torque, then after it is 457 HP and 445 ft-lb torque. Is that what you were looking for or is that a typo? I understand that torque is what you need to get moving, and it has more effect than HP in autocross. They gave no explaination as to why the drop and some might see that as the wrong way to go.

68 C10(project)
88 Honda Accord(DD)
93 Chevy Astro EXT 2wd
jayman68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:30 PM   #1628
Mike Bradbury

Hey Rob is there a web site that lists the rules for Auto cross? I.E. tires, engine size, weight, roll bars, all wheel drive vs 2 wheel? I know there are different classes but where are the cut offs for the different classes?
There seems to be a lot of guys here including myself that are looking to auto cross our trucks and it would be helpful to know the parameters

Project: Barn Raising http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=414961

Project: 30 Be Low https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=830583
Mike Bradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:17 PM   #1629
hotrod1
56 - autocross

Oh, forgot. Rear end gear combo? I know there are a lot of factors, but what is a good overall for a autox pickup? 3:50, 3:73, 4:11? If there are too many factors, how would one determine it? What are the goals that need to be accomplished?
hotrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:07 AM   #1630
hart11b

I've got one for you:

I've got a new to me, fairly stock 1972 K20. It has a steering issue. When I get up to moderate speeds (40+MPH) the steering seems to react incrementally. What I mean...I make a small correction when driving, but either the steering is slow to react and I make too big a correction (it catches up) or something else.

I can't really narrow it down, but it takes a lot of attention to drive this truck and moderate speeds. I really need to fix this, but I don't know if modern mechanics will be up to the task. Of note, the "Stabilizer shock?" seems very old/original if that helps.
hart11b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:01 AM   #1631
Custom 68

hart11b, have you checked all the steering connections. From the inner and outer tie rod ends to the pitman arm? It really sounds like something is loose or worn out. Check the ball joints while you are in there. There are lots of connections for the steering.
You also need to remember in stock form the steering boxes are "slower" than a new truck. you have to turn it more to get the same response. Without knowing your history it may just take some getting used to the differences.
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:46 PM   #1632
1FUN64

Mike,

scca.com. Go to "downloads" near top, scroll down to solo rules, click on "go to solo cars and rules page" then "2013 SCCA SOLO Rules". Not sure why it's called "SOLO". There are also links to local events and clubs, no need to be a member to play. My first event in my 64 short wide was a couple years ago and I had the guys at the event help me with classification. I run in the Custom Prepared class, which does not take many modifications to end up there. I recommend running at these events, it is a blast to drive these trucks and it's not something they see every day. Good Luck. PM me if you have any additional questions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DlAdfwDQa8
1FUN64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:05 PM   #1633
C0UCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FUN64 View Post
I am debating leaving my inner fender wells out.

1) To show offf the new suspension.

2) Weight savings.

Would the weight savings be offset by the stiffness the inner panels provide to the front of the truck? I do not have the frame boxed or reinforced (yet) maybe next winter.
Interested in this as well as I just removed mine on my 67.
C0UCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:03 PM   #1634
jimmydean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bradbury View Post
Hey Rob is there a web site that lists the rules for Auto cross? I.E. tires, engine size, weight, roll bars, all wheel drive vs 2 wheel? I know there are different classes but where are the cut offs for the different classes?
There seems to be a lot of guys here including myself that are looking to auto cross our trucks and it would be helpful to know the parameters
Just be like Frizzle Fry and run with the Porches.

Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #1635
cory d

i just grabbed 1 ton coils, some belltech nitro drop shocks and a 7/8" rear bar from a tahoe. if i dont like the shock, o well. they were used and dirt cheap
cory d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:44 AM   #1636
Mike Bradbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FUN64 View Post
Mike,

scca.com. Go to "downloads" near top, scroll down to solo rules, click on "go to solo cars and rules page" then "2013 SCCA SOLO Rules". Not sure why it's called "SOLO". There are also links to local events and clubs, no need to be a member to play. My first event in my 64 short wide was a couple years ago and I had the guys at the event help me with classification. I run in the Custom Prepared class, which does not take many modifications to end up there. I recommend running at these events, it is a blast to drive these trucks and it's not something they see every day. Good Luck. PM me if you have any additional questions.
Thanks that helps, I am sure I will have Q's

Project: Barn Raising http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=414961

Project: 30 Be Low https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=830583
Mike Bradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:54 AM   #1637
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

1 ton coils supposed to be a good budget upgrade?

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:03 PM   #1638
bdiamond

Okay, I've read the whole thread a couple times. Now my question...On an 82 Blazer with a stock crossmember, lower arm moved 3/4", 1 coil cut 6102 springs, 1.25" swaybar,engine lowered slightly and poly bushings what front shocks/mounts would you recommend? Its gonna be a weekend cruiser nice day driver occasional autocrosser kinda truck. I don't mind spending money on quality but don't have an unlimited budget...
bdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:39 PM   #1639
bdiamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdiamond View Post
Okay, I've read the whole thread a couple times. Now my question...On an 82 Blazer with a stock crossmember, lower arm moved 3/4", 1 coil cut 6102 springs, 1.25" swaybar,engine lowered slightly and poly bushings what front shocks/mounts would you recommend? Its gonna be a weekend cruiser nice day driver occasional autocrosser kinda truck. I don't mind spending money on quality but don't have an unlimited budget...
I have 3" spindles on it too...
bdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:10 PM   #1640
robnolimit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydean View Post
Just be like Frizzle Fry and run with the Porches.

ORPCA Autocross #1 05/18/07 - '69 Suburban Video#1 - YouTube
Most autocross clubs have there own rules. Tire spec is the big difference. We run mostly American Street Car Series, GoodGuys, and SCCA. Now, we don't have an ulimited tire budget (I know, right?) So, we run a 200 treadwear tire on almost everything. This is good for GoodGuys and ASCS, but we give up some at SCCA events. You can check their web sites for the rules, most are pretty simply safety stuff.
2011 Truckin' Throwdown Champion
GoodGuys 2010 National Champion

Proud to put our products up against all others!
robnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:13 PM   #1641
robnolimit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdiamond View Post
I really like the Bilstien shocks for this type of build. No tuning, no guessing, just drive. Not 'cheap' at appx 145 per shock, but lifetime warranty and it's a done deal.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #1642
robnolimit

Race report Chris 'Smitty' Smith, of Smitty's customs won the Pro class at the GoodGuys show in Springfield Mass last weekend. Chris' bad ass C10 runs No Limit suspension with RideTech shocks and Shockwaves out back, Yes, it's on air. After the win in Colorado from the HellBoy C10 a few weeks ago, that makes two pro class wins for C10's this year. More are coming!!
Nashville are you close? July 5,6,7 is the ASCS "Run to music City". They are trying to boost Truck participation. The Guys from "Trucks" TV will be there running their new Ranger project and doing some filming. Go check it out.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:35 PM   #1643
AutoX_a_Truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bradbury View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnolimit View Post
Most autocross clubs have there own rules. Tire spec is the big difference. We run mostly American Street Car Series, GoodGuys, and SCCA. Now, we don't have an ulimited tire budget (I know, right?) So, we run a 200 treadwear tire on almost everything. This is good for GoodGuys and ASCS, but we give up some at SCCA events. You can check their web sites for the rules, most are pretty simply safety stuff.
One thing I can recommend from experience is to thoroughly research your tire options, particularly if you plan to run events with the 200 treadwear cutoff. Try to find a tire and size that has a huge following and/or OEM application so it will be in production for the near future. Pick your tire setup first and then shop for wheels that will fit them. I made the mistake of going with wide 17" wheels so I have very few options and have to pay huge premiums for limited production tires that aren't necessarily that great. Custom tires are basically unobtainable whereas custom wheels are readily obtainable and many are affordable too. If I could start over I should have went with 18" wheels even though for aesthetics I prefer the smaller diameter wheels.

Quote:
Race report Chris 'Smitty' Smith, of Smitty's customs won the Pro class at the GoodGuys show in Springfield Mass last weekend. Chris' bad ass C10 runs No Limit suspension with RideTech shocks and Shockwaves out back, Yes, it's on air. After the win in Colorado from the HellBoy C10 a few weeks ago, that makes two pro class wins for C10's this year. More are coming!!
Nashville are you close? July 5,6,7 is the ASCS "Run to music City". They are trying to boost Truck participation. The Guys from "Trucks" TV will be there running their new Ranger project and doing some filming. Go check it out.
Congrats Rob. Will you make it to Des Moines this year? I will be there, but I won't be driving my truck this year.

There's nothing like building up an old automobile from scratch and wiping out one of these Detroit machines... That'll give you a set of emotions that will stay with you... Know what I mean? Those satisfactions are permanent...
AutoX_a_Truck? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #1644
jimmydean

Quote:
Race report Chris 'Smitty' Smith, of Smitty's customs won the Pro class at the GoodGuys show in Springfield Mass last weekend. Chris' bad ass C10 runs No Limit suspension with RideTech shocks and Shockwaves out back, Yes, it's on air. After the win in Colorado from the HellBoy C10 a few weeks ago, that makes two pro class wins for C10's this year. More are coming!!.
Bad ass!!! 2 C10's, that's awesome.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #1645
robnolimit

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoX_a_Truck? View Post
One thing I can recommend from experience is to thoroughly research your tire options, particularly if you plan to run events with the 200 treadwear cutoff. Try to find a tire and size that has a huge following and/or OEM application so it will be in production for the near future. Pick your tire setup first and then shop for wheels that will fit them. I made the mistake of going with wide 17" wheels so I have very few options and have to pay huge premiums for limited production tires that aren't necessarily that great. Custom tires are basically unobtainable whereas custom wheels are readily obtainable and many are affordable too. If I could start over I should have went with 18" wheels even though for aesthetics I prefer the smaller diameter wheels.

Congrats Rob. Will you make it to Des Moines this year? I will be there, but I won't be driving my truck this year.
Yes we'll be there. Good point about the tires. I made the same mistake on the Silver Bullit. - bring your driving shoes.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:48 PM   #1646
robnolimit

Lately we have been experimenting with "Tread Width". Meaning, the total width, outside-to-outside of the tire track. This is a bit different than "Track width" which would be center of the tire tread-to-center of the tire tread.
For our testing we are using the HellBoy, which runs a 315/30/18 on all four corners. So the difference between the front and rear tread width is the same as the track width difference.
At the moment, the front total width is 73" and the rear is 71". So the front is 2" wider than the rear.
The truck has a slight push on corner entry, and can sometimes be loose on the corner exit.
So, here is the question. (we can adjust the width very easily) We can set up in 5 tread width stances. they are:
A. Front 2" wider
B. Front 1" wider
C. Even front/rr
D. Rear 1" wider
E. Rear 2" wider
To be fair, this testing will take a few weeks, We need to compile multiple lap times under somewhat similar conditions. So here is the question, What do you think will happen, and why?

Old 06-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #1647
Custom 68

That is interesting Rob, I remember years ago we built a purpose built car in college, we competed in Formula SAE. Anyway we decided to build this to the minimum lengths required for the A-mod class so we could race it in Autocross in this class. We built the "tread width" wider in the front than the rear. Our thinking was on the slower autocross courses we could turn-in very tight to the cones on the front and the rear would be just on that edge instead of being wider. We did very well with that car that year in competition. But that was a light race car with a great power to weight ratio and front to rear ratio. Plus good drivers.
My initial thought would be on your truck you will get less push the wider this tread width is. On the extreme if you are very narrow instead of turning it would most likely be like a pivot being more likely to push thru the corner, again that would be an extreme like a trike?
that's my thought...
will you be changing this width with spacers?
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:05 AM   #1648
68Stepbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoX_a_Truck? View Post
That's the issue I have. I have 17's, that look good, but don't perform well. Also, the tire choices are very limited, and almost non-existent in a "performance" tire. I eventually plan to switch to 18's to be able to have more options.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:42 AM   #1649
midnight340

Custom 68 I agree with you... Keep the front wider. Before I read your response I went through the thinking and it's clear to me I'd rather autocross a Morgan 3 wheel than a mc trike. Whether this checks out in the real world with small differences. Remains to be seen.
Posted via Mobile Device
midnight340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:49 AM   #1650
midnight340

Also, much progress on my F-1 over the last number of weeks. The trailing arm set up is done (coil-overs, fat panhard, added rear crossmember, and some angled tubing bracing to stabilize the rear frame section...). Have yet to install the Firm Feel steering box/fast ratio pitman/ 1-1/4" sway bar.

I will post some photos soon.
Posted via Mobile Device
midnight340 is offline   Reply With Quote