The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-11-2015, 12:52 PM   #1
Saphiro

Price point for a drivable project

I'm seriously considering selling my C-20 and getting into a suburban. I like the idea of being able to take the whole family with me, and I suspect that the suburban will hold it's value together better than my '69 C-20.
I've found two trucks from the same seller that I think may be worth pursuing, but I want to get some perspective from folks who are borderline experts on these trucks.

The first truck is a 1972 GMC suburban with a 350 and a 4-speed, 2wd. It looks to be low-rust, but is missing the middle seat. The seller is asking $3500.

The second truck is a 1972 Chevy Suburban with a 350 motor and 350 tranny, 4X4. It's rusty, but everything appears to function (mechanically). The kicker is that it has no title (though I see that as a problem that can be overcome by using one of those title companies in Maine or Georgia). $1000.

I don't have a ton of space, otherwise I'd consider buying them both. Unless I can sell one of them quickly to aid in the overall cost.

Any thoughts as to the prices?
These are both on Craigslist, so someone could conceivably see this post and buy them out from under me. I understand that risk

Thank you!
Old 11-11-2015, 03:13 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Price point for a drivable project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphiro View Post
I'm seriously considering selling my C-20 and getting into a suburban. I like the idea of being able to take the whole family with me, and I suspect that the suburban will hold it's value together better than my '69 C-20.
I've found two trucks from the same seller that I think may be worth pursuing, but I want to get some perspective from folks who are borderline experts on these trucks.

The first truck is a 1972 GMC suburban with a 350 and a 4-speed, 2wd. It looks to be low-rust, but is missing the middle seat. The seller is asking $3500.

The second truck is a 1972 Chevy Suburban with a 350 motor and 350 tranny, 4X4. It's rusty, but everything appears to function (mechanically). The kicker is that it has no title (though I see that as a problem that can be overcome by using one of those title companies in Maine or Georgia). $1000.

I don't have a ton of space, otherwise I'd consider buying them both. Unless I can sell one of them quickly to aid in the overall cost.

Any thoughts as to the prices?
These are both on Craigslist, so someone could conceivably see this post and buy them out from under me. I understand that risk

Thank you!

Have you looked at either one of them in person? If not (and even if you have) you need to take a piece of cardboard to lay on and a good strong light and check both of them out really good underneath, also check the core support under the battery, above the windshield, underneath the visors, and around the heater box under the hood for rust. The seat wouldn't be a major problem, it would be a 3/4 length seat if the truck has the rear seat installed.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 06:22 PM   #3
vectorit
What?

Structure, I pay close attention to rot at the windshield frame, firewall, roof, rear hatch or doors. Most other places can be fixed easily with out getting too difficult.

My main thing I look at after the truck passes my rust check.. Is I check to see how complete it is. You want the most complete truck you can find, since being as complete as possible will help you in the restoration. Being that you won't waste time searching for missing parts, and spending a lot of money on said parts through out the project.

Personally, I favor the 4x4 Suburbans since they are not as common.

If you can get both, then pick your project and then use the other for parts you need. Silly things like clips can hold you up for a long time... Believe me, I know. I am still looking for 67/68 trim clips, because no one makes them like the originals anymore.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 07:07 PM   #4
Saphiro

Thank you for the responses. I haven't seen the trucks in person, they are about 250 miles to the north of me right now. So, a visit to check them out would mean I need to be prepared to buy them.
What do you think of the pricing? Would I be in a tight spot with these, or are they a relatively good buy? Obviously they aren't a steal or they'd be sold already.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:44 PM   #5
vectorit
What?

I think I found the GMC CL add, and it looks like a solid and relatively complete Suburban. The price to me is good, and probably get it cheaper with a little haggle time.

Couldn't find the 4x4, so maybe it's gone.

Also, found a seller parting out a burb and has the middle seat for 150.00 in your area.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:53 PM   #6
vectorit
What?

I found the other '72 burb.

The 2wd GMC is the better one of the two.
More complete, and not road salt eaten up.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:13 AM   #7
Saphiro

Ok, thank you for the thoughts. I may try to work out a trade with the seller on my C-20.
I know that the 4x4 is more desirable, but I'd prefer the 2wd with the 4-speed as a driver. Plus the body is MUCH better.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:29 AM   #8
dubds10
Stalker Nate

Burbs aren't worth a ton so you want to buy as cheap as possible. Or if you have extra $ look at one already done & really solid for a few G's more. Look outside of your area as well.

Instagram - TheDonutDiner
FaceBook - @UscreamIscream
dubds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 03:03 PM   #9
LuckyScott

Might be different in different states, but in California the two wheel drive Suburbans are more desirable. Trick it out, lower it, or just drive it as is.
LuckyScott is offline   Reply With Quote