The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-31-2008, 07:39 AM   #76
mylow53

Re: 1950 GMC Project...

i've had a some bad luck with headers recently. i would like to see how your clearences are with your headers. daniel installed the Sanderson cast headers on his 54, and I figured I would have to do the same... i prefer tubed headers thou please show us how yours go in.
mylow53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 03:41 PM   #77
tylordurben

ive read through about everybody's threads on this board that are building or built a similar truck and the same issue about header clearance has come up. i am not doing anything special, just gonna order shorty headers or block huggers and hope they fit.

yesterday i did some more rear suspension painting. got he rear end painted up too and finished all the welds, before i painted of course. also got the rear drums resurfaced and painted. today ill be putting the rear end back on the truck (hopefully for the last time) and ill be pulling out the motor (hopefully for the last time). along with a bunch of things that need to be done.

here are 2 pics of the motor mounts welded to the frame rails (till gotta finish welding the bottoms and rear) and the trans bracket from CPP (also gotta finish some welding on that):

thanks,
Yaril
tylordurben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 04:39 AM   #78
tylordurben

well, today was one of those days that you know you did a ton of work, but there isnt much to show for it. know what i mean? my days goals where a bit unreasonable, maybe for 2 people, but i did manage to:

mount the rear end back on the truck
inspect the ring & pinion (btw i got 2.73 gears, perfect)
change the rear end cover gasket
weld on the front upper shock mounts
pull the motor / trans out
split motor / trans
finish welding the motor / trans brackets
clean the bejesus out of the motor (ready for paint now)
undercoat the cab area
run to the parts store & Lowes to get much needed hardware

well, it doesnt even seem like i did that much but my body feels like i did. well, tomorrow is wont be too productive, got a school project to take care off (its due monday). hopefully ill finish quick so i can get some paint on that motor.

Yaril

Last edited by tylordurben; 06-02-2008 at 04:40 AM.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:08 PM   #79
tylordurben

alright, update time...

what did i get done today? painting, lots and lots of painting.

painted the rotors front and rear as well as all the front end suspension components, spindles, shocks...:

finished painting the chassis:

installed the bags & shocks on the rear and put the bed back on the truck:

then i worked on tearing down the motor a bit more:

painted it with the silver por-15:

then 53+ Buick green:

cleaned up the main pulley and also painted the water pump and pulley to match, i really really like the green it matches the pinstripe that is on the cab at the belt line, now i cant wait to put the new manifold, valve covers and block hugger ceramic coated headers:

did some other things too like paint the new master cylinder and mock it up with the brackets, it works, nice. well, trans left to get rebuilt today also, i think thats it... Thursday i plan to take care of some rust repair so that i can spray the firewall and repair area Saturday / Sunday while i continue plumbing the brake lines and airlines and other chassis related work.

thanks,
Yaril
Old 06-05-2008, 08:15 PM   #80
tylordurben

ok, update for the day...

got the rust repaired. not 100% repaired / restored, but at least the inside panel and outside skin look the part. had to cut and fit the replacement panels until i got them to fit how i wanted to. welded everything on, then skimmed it with some bondo after grinding down my welds. also got the paint for the firewall and repair area. its as close as we could get it.

oh yeah, and transmission is back. waiting on the torque converter so i can put it back together with the motor. think ill just paint the trans black, dunno, was thinking the same green as the motor?

is this old paper insulation or a secret map to some hidden treasure?

shot of the inner panel slid into place and c-clamped...

shot of the joint... new panel and original cab, very minimal bondo required...

thanks for looking,
Yaril
Old 06-08-2008, 02:03 PM   #81
tylordurben

more progress made this weekend. on the motor side, i got the water pump on the motor and the oil pan as well as changed the sparkplugs. still waiting on the torque converter to mate the motor and now black painted trans back together.

today i epoxy primered the firewall and rust repair area as well as shot it with the green single stage PPG paint. it looks great on pics, but not so great in person. its nice, just not as nice as i hoped. i like the color, once the motor is in with all the nick nacks and some pin-stripes on the firewall it will look a lot better. right now it looks too dark, but i think the motor green will compliment it well (similar to the Hirohata Merc body colors). well, gonna keep chucking. want to install the front suspension and hopefully plumb the air for it as well as begin the brakes.

my ghetto paper tape off job (got the paper from the box the repair panels where shipped in)...

shot of the black epoxy primer...

finally the dark green, turns out the green on the truck is actually lighter, from the sun exposure its darkened up, so i wanted to match the existing dark green, its a bit greener in person, i think...

this might be a better shot to compare the new green with the old green...

thanks,
Yaril
Old 06-11-2008, 01:09 PM   #82
tylordurben

well, did a lot of work yesterday... nothing real picture worthy but thought id chime in and let yall know whats going on.

got the complete front and rear suspension on the truck, ran all the air lines and required electrical. also hooked all that up with the valves and fittings and switches. lots of little things i guess. the torque converter got here yesterday also, guess its up to me now to push forward with the progress. other thing i did was sand the firewall! yup i hit it with some 400 on a pad to flatten out the surface a bit more and if it doesnt rain tomorrow morning ill be spraying a couple more coats of the single stage green.

goal is to paint the firewall tomorrow and begin (hopefully finish) the brakes tomorrow too. that will leave the weekend to slip the motor / trans back in for the last time and begin hooking everything up.

thanks,
Yaril
Old 06-17-2008, 08:45 PM   #83
tylordurben

alright, its been a while since i update. school really demanded a lot last week and the rain kept me from progressing as quickly as i hoped. but all in all, i guess im on schedule.

block sanded the firewall, yeah i wasnt satisfied:

bent all the brake hard lines (need to double flare them):

finished plumbing and wiring the suspension air-ride:

motor and trans are also back together and in the truck, also installed the block hugger headers ceramic coated, obviously i am still waiting on the 3 deuce set-up and valve covers, hopefully soon:

im sure i did more, its just been a little here and a little there between the rain the homework.

thanks,
Yaril
Old 06-17-2008, 10:50 PM   #84
GRIMSS

I like the switches.
1968 Camaro
1968 Volksrod "NOBACK"

55-59 one piece window Video
55-59 one piece window template files
Jared
GRIMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:20 AM   #85
Daniel U

Are the three 2's for looks or performance? Just curious as either are good reasons.
Mom's 1954 (TBI 5.7/700R4/14 bolt 4:10) 5 Chevrolet window 3/4 ton long bed Pick up
build thread ->http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=228674
My 1954 (TPI 5.7/700R4/10 bolt 3:73) Chevrolet 5 window 1/2 ton short bed Pick up
build thread->http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...3&goto=newpost
1960 (400/T350/?) Apache 10 short/fleet side-big window
1973 (TPI 5.7/700R4/14 bolt 4:10 w DANA 60 front) Chevrolet Cheyenne 4X4
2013 (Vortec 5.3/6-speed 6L90 automatic) Sierra LT CREW CAB
Doing my part to warm the globe
Daniel U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 04:20 PM   #86
mylow53

ok i think those headers will work are their any clearence issues with the motor mounts? what is the part number? thanks for the photos and the help nice work
Greg
mylow53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 10:26 AM   #87
tylordurben

thanks Grimss, i usually make them from scratch but that takes a long time. i bought these pre made.

its more for the look of things, the truck is meant for just cruising not performance. but they will all be hooked up and set progressively, maybe only the center one will work full duty and the other 2 can kick in after half throttle.

Greg, believe it or not those headers are off e-bay. im sure they are not the best quality header around but for a $150 price tag w/ collectors gaskets and hardware; and the use this truck will get it should be fine. i believe others manufactures make the same style header. they are "shorty block huggers".

there where no chassis or motor mount clearance issues. i will and already see issues with the steering connection. i am keeping the stock column so i think that will help me cause i can cut it back as much as i need to maybe find a straight line to the R/P. ill be tackling that issue soon as i finish flaring the brake-lines and bleeding the brakes.

follow the link to the ones i got:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...D82%26_fvi%3D1

Yaril
Old 06-23-2008, 12:46 AM   #88
Daniel U

Looking like quick progress. I'm envious!
Mom's 1954 (TBI 5.7/700R4/14 bolt 4:10) 5 Chevrolet window 3/4 ton long bed Pick up
build thread ->http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=228674
My 1954 (TPI 5.7/700R4/10 bolt 3:73) Chevrolet 5 window 1/2 ton short bed Pick up
build thread->http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...3&goto=newpost
1960 (400/T350/?) Apache 10 short/fleet side-big window
1973 (TPI 5.7/700R4/14 bolt 4:10 w DANA 60 front) Chevrolet Cheyenne 4X4
2013 (Vortec 5.3/6-speed 6L90 automatic) Sierra LT CREW CAB
Doing my part to warm the globe
Daniel U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:24 PM   #89
69face

looking really good! keep it up!

I'M SO SO CAL!
69face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:01 PM   #90
tylordurben

thanks guys... guess most of you knew it was coming, i have issues with the steering connection. i decided to start a thread to hopefully answer questions most everyone is having...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...28#post2779828

thanks, i look forward to all your responds.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:07 PM   #91
tylordurben

ok, so the GMC has been coming along, but pics of brake lines and double end flares are just not so cool. other little things have been going on with it to, not to mention that i got the wrong radiator (not my fault) so im waiting on that correction and waiting on another link for the steering.

in the mean time i did some work on my bicycle, figured if i cant take the truck July 3rd i gotta take something new. so i welded in the crank case, got the bike down to bare metal (i will paint it in the future), grinded 90% of the welds smooth and transfered most off my Schwinn to make this one ridable. still waiting on the white glitter banana seat and matching grips i ordered. gonna make some "Z" bar style handles later on cause i really like these on my Schwinn and i also have to make some pedals for it. well, enjoy the pics i just put the chain on it a couple minutes ago, had to link 2 chains from wal-mart.

btw its just over 7 feet long.

Yaril
Old 06-29-2008, 10:11 PM   #92
GRIMSS

sweet bike.
1968 Camaro
1968 Volksrod "NOBACK"

55-59 one piece window Video
55-59 one piece window template files
Jared
GRIMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:16 PM   #93
youngrodder

I want one...... that bike is sick. It would look cool all flat black.
You ever feel like building one to sell, let me know.

You sure are talented.

Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylordurben View Post
ok, so the GMC has been coming along, but pics of brake lines and double end flares are just not so cool. other little things have been going on with it to, not to mention that i got the wrong radiator (not my fault) so im waiting on that correction and waiting on another link for the steering.

in the mean time i did some work on my bicycle, figured if i cant take the truck July 3rd i gotta take something new. so i welded in the crank case, got the bike down to bare metal (i will paint it in the future), grinded 90% of the welds smooth and transfered most off my Schwinn to make this one ridable. still waiting on the white glitter banana seat and matching grips i ordered. gonna make some "Z" bar style handles later on cause i really like these on my Schwinn and i also have to make some pedals for it. well, enjoy the pics i just put the chain on it a couple minutes ago, had to link 2 chains from wal-mart.

btw its just over 7 feet long.

Yaril
youngrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:47 PM   #94
slimneverdies

Off topic but what did your client do with the old navy truck? Im looking for some parts
slimneverdies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:26 PM   #95
tylordurben

did you get my PM slim?

as for the old navy truck he is doing that one as a bone stock truck, using all the goods from this one to build the other one. im not involved with that project though.

thank you youngrodder, maybe we can work something out if your really interested.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:28 PM   #96
slimneverdies

No. never got your pm
slimneverdies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:57 PM   #97
tylordurben

i was wondering why you never called...

ill try and send you another pm right now...
Old 07-03-2008, 02:54 PM   #98
tylordurben

well, i hope you got the last pm i sent you, if not just pm me your number and ill call you.

nothing much on the truck. but i did get the bike up to ridable...

ok, today i made my pedals...

basically took black plastic ones and used the internals. got a piece of pipe and welded it to the cups for the bearings. for the pedals them selfs i used a chain i had laying around. cut the links i needed and welded them... similar to what Indian Larry (RIP) did on his chain bike or old lowrider steering wheels...

the banana seat has not gotten here yet, and i could not wait any longer to try and ride this thing. so i rigged the seat off my Schwinn just to be able to sit and pedal, the seating position is not to desirable right now, the banana seat should take care of that. it will be a little higher seating and further back almost over the rear tire. it rides smoother than i expected, you just gotta watch out for reflectors and dips in the road. i scrapped the bottom of the frame a bunch of times already.

Yaril
Old 07-03-2008, 07:10 PM   #99
BOHICA

I dislike lowrider bikes, but you did a good job on that and the pedals are awesome.
BOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:51 PM   #100
tylordurben

well thank you Bohica. im glad you like it. i on the other hand like lowrider bikes but never liked the size. they always seem to small, so i built something out of 2 26" bikes.

ill be updating the truck soon, just waiting for parts. in the mean time 1 more bike pic...

i took it to a 4th July show (in the bed of my buds 59 El Camino). everyone was checking out the bike more than the cars! i think it may have to do with my girl riding it.

well, this is the only decent pic i got shes not pedaling but you get the picture... btw she is wearing the "Praise the Lowered" wife beater i got her. last thing, i also let her drive the Buick to the show! while i took the Squareback.

i brightened up the pic in photoshop but its still a bit blurry...

Yaril