The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-29-2008, 11:06 AM   #76
tdave00
Restoring a 68 SWB

Re: LFD's Shop Toys

Hey Kevin,

First of all glad you changed your mind about cutting up the burb. That's gonna be sweet having both a "Tahoe" and an extended cab truck.

Also, I saw this dually in some pics that see ten posted. I love the dually fenders on it. In my opinion its the best looking dually I have seen. I love the narrow fenders and thought it might give you a little inspiration for the dually fenders on your extended cab truck.

This is the post the pics came from.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=288525

Last edited by tdave00; 04-29-2008 at 11:08 AM.
tdave00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:04 PM   #77
Rokcrln

Thanks I will add thoses to my colection. Also the burb/Tahoe is only being built to be sold so I will not be keeping that one

Kevin
LFD inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 04:18 AM   #78
tdave00
Restoring a 68 SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
Also the burb/Tahoe is only being built to be sold so I will not be keeping that one

Kevin
LFD inc.
Your wife might have something to say about that . That would be a pretty sweet "kid hauler."
Old 04-30-2008, 05:52 AM   #79
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdave00 View Post
Your wife might have something to say about that . That would be a pretty sweet "kid hauler."

Heck she already has a 400HP TrailBlazer SS for hauling our son around. Plus she hates burbs of any year. I tried, she said no and I figure if that is her only complaint about what I do since we meet that I can go along with her on this one.

Kevin
LFD inc.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:11 AM   #80
tdave00
Restoring a 68 SWB

Allright Kevin, the break is over. Let's see what you've been up to .
Old 08-16-2008, 09:01 PM   #81
Rokcrln

Quote:
Allright Kevin, the break is over. Let's see what you've been up to .
Everyone Else's stuff! I have been doing alot of building on the crew cab in my head Once the 2wd Blazer is out of the shop (with in a month) I will build a small frame table to set the blue cab on and then split it in 2 to add 33". I have my first class next month with "Lazzy" to better learn the English wheel, power bead roller and the shrinker/stretcher. Then I can roll out a new roof for the crew cab so it does not get sectioned into several pieces only to end up with the typical flat roof look so many others have. Then I have a 41 chevy PU to stretch the cab 6" and also a 51 Ford F1 to stretch 5-6"

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:56 AM   #82
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

Your work never ceases to amaze me !
texanidiot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 03:08 AM   #83
tdave00
Restoring a 68 SWB

Just giving you a hard time. Looking forward to seeing some of these projects "in action."
Old 08-17-2008, 10:46 PM   #84
Rokcrln

Quote:
Just giving you a hard time. Looking forward to seeing some of these projects "in action."

Me too!
Old 08-18-2008, 02:37 AM   #85
tdave00
Restoring a 68 SWB

In the meantime I've got a "little" action for you. My new build thread.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:03 PM   #86
Rokcrln

Made some progress on the Tahoe today. I am still working on the door open but one the rocker is finished I will start building the door.

I got some good news from the wife today! She said if I felt the burb would make a good vehical for towing and what not than she will look past it's looks (she is a burb hater) and says to build it and keep it so who knows what will happen now!

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:11 AM   #87
tdave00
Restoring a 68 SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
I got some good news from the wife today! She said if I felt the burb would make a good vehical for towing and what not than she will look past it's looks (she is a burb hater) and says to build it and keep it so who knows what will happen now!
She might like that burb "Tahoe Style". Keep it!
Old 09-08-2008, 04:46 AM   #88
Frizzle Fry

Lookin good man. So if you're going to tahoe it aren't you going to be modding those rockers?
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:29 AM   #89
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
Lookin good man. So if you're going to tahoe it aren't you going to be modding those rockers?
Wel I think what I would end up doing is just cutting down the rear of it to short bed spec's. I need the longer weel base for towing. Right now I use Low Buck for all my car hauling needs and as good as it works it stil beats me up with that short WB.

So my curent plans (they could change by the time you read this) are to shorten just the rear, do a dually set up but I am not sure if I will leave this rear end or go with a wider dually one. Change the front 3/4ton out to dually outer at the same time the drop member goes in. Do a beefed up 4 link out back all on bags. Drop in the 5.3L Vortec and 4L60 that is colecting dust in the corner of the shoip with only 23k on it. Do newer buckets in front with a center consoul, bench for the second row and maybe a tird row of some type depending what all goes on with the floor notch.

So that is it for now, I would like a 6.0L or a cummins but I have the 5.3 so I figure I will give it a shot and see how it does.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:52 PM   #90
BlueJeep

How heavy is the trailer you pull? I'm not trying to talk you out of doing something that will probably end up really cool, but do you need it to be a dually? If so, do you think bobbing the back would look right?

I tow my 12K(rated) trailer with an '03 Suburban Z71 1/2 ton and it tows great. A dually will of course tow better, but when you're pulling vehicles that are around 5K pounds there probably won't be a lot of difference between single and dual rear wheel. The heavier the loads get, the more benefit there is at having the rear of the truck planted firmly with 4 tires instead of 2, and when you get to that point a gooseneck trailer is preferred. Plus, pulling into parking spots is easier when it's 2 feet narrower.

You did include the caveat that your build plan might change by the time I read this, so I look forward to seeing what you come up with. I'm currently searching for a 67-72 suburban for family hot-rodding duties, and like the 4th door progress!

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
88 Jeep Wrangler rockcrawler
BlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:24 PM   #91
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJeep View Post
How heavy is the trailer you pull? I'm not trying to talk you out of doing something that will probably end up really cool, but do you need it to be a dually? If so, do you think bobbing the back would look right?

I tow my 12K(rated) trailer with an '03 Suburban Z71 1/2 ton and it tows great. A dually will of course tow better, but when you're pulling vehicles that are around 5K pounds there probably won't be a lot of difference between single and dual rear wheel. The heavier the loads get, the more benefit there is at having the rear of the truck planted firmly with 4 tires instead of 2, and when you get to that point a gooseneck trailer is preferred. Plus, pulling into parking spots is easier when it's 2 feet narrower.

You did include the caveat that your build plan might change by the time I read this, so I look forward to seeing what you come up with. I'm currently searching for a 67-72 suburban for family hot-rodding duties, and like the 4th door progress!
On the drive to work today I decided to leave it SRW and just get some good E rated tires. My curent trailer is a 7k but I will be buying an enclosed 20' for pulling the show car and some customer delivers as well. As far as will it look right after bobbing the rear end off, I say heck yea! Right now they are just too long and triming a bit off the rear end will make all the differance.

What motor and trans do you have in your Z71?
Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:31 AM   #92
BlueJeep

5.3 and 4L60, with the stock tune (3.73 rear). With an aftermarket tune it would pull even better, I just have better things to buy right now (diapers for twin 11 m/o boys).

Let me clarify that I like the look of the bobbed suburban, just wasn't sure how it would look bobbed with the dually fenders. When I pick one up I've been thinking about bobbing the rear and leaving the stock wheelbase too.

Nice work so far, can't wait to see more.

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
88 Jeep Wrangler rockcrawler
BlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:12 PM   #93
dubdeuce80

are those scout hinges being used for the suicide doors? i have a set layin around and was planning on using them, but wasn't sure on their durablity with being bolted in...
dubdeuce80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:30 PM   #94
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubdeuce80 View Post
are those scout hinges being used for the suicide doors? i have a set layin around and was planning on using them, but wasn't sure on their durablity with being bolted in...
No they are 2 dr jeep charokee hinges an boiard member sent me.

Kevin
LFD Inc.