The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-26-2012, 04:30 PM   #1076
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Re: Kabwe's aka Bam's build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
I thought I read somewhere that our trucks ARE made of 16 ga? Or is it more like 18ga?
Cab and fenders are closer to 18 gauge and the bed closer to 16 has been my experience.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:04 PM   #1077
El Campo

Do you ever have a problem with MIG welds cracking when you are hammer and dollying them? I MAY be able to borrow a TIG from a friend of mine but if not will be forced to use the Miller 252 on my sheet metal. I always have this fear that with all my zillion spot welds that I will get cracking. And do you leaves a wire widths gap (0.23 or so) or do you butt your pieces back together as close as you can get them?
72 Chevy SWB: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486626 (Attempt/Mistake #2)
2003 Harley Davidson Dyna Superglide with 2007 Street Bob front end
2000 Ford F350 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB, 310,000 miles running great (STOLEN St. Patricks Day 2014 AND NEVER RECOVERED)
2002 Ford F250 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB (To replace stolen one)
Hook em Horns!!!
El Campo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:21 PM   #1078
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Campo View Post
Do you ever have a problem with MIG welds cracking when you are hammer and dollying them? I MAY be able to borrow a TIG from a friend of mine but if not will be forced to use the Miller 252 on my sheet metal. I always have this fear that with all my zillion spot welds that I will get cracking. And do you leaves a wire widths gap (0.23 or so) or do you butt your pieces back together as close as you can get them?
El Campo,

I never meant to insinuate that a nice job can't be done with a mig because it can. 95 percent of my truck is mig welded. Yes you can crack a mig weld, but the only time I cracked them was when I've done excessive hammering on dolly. I just try to use as little filler as possible so I do a lot of hammer and dolly work. In the cases that I did cracked them I just tacked it again no big deal. I still find it takes a heck of a lot of hammering to crack a mig weld. But than again I do a lot of hammering.lol

I love tig welding sheet metal because I have control over the heat, a lower profile bead which equals less grinding, and a softer bead which does not crack under my excessive hammering and dolly. But tig is not need to do a great job. The machines cost too much and most hobby builders only care to own one machine. If I had to chose I would own a mig hands down over a tig because the mig is way more versatile and more forgiving. Your metal has to be clean man and I mean clean for tig welding.

Now as far as gaps on sheetmetal. I try to make them butt or no wider than the welding wire for mig. For tig I want them to butt, mig is more forgiving than tig. I hope I answered your questions.

Last edited by Kabwe; 07-16-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:47 PM   #1079
El Campo

Great answers I think I read that in your words earlier that wire was still good. Just thought that if I had access to the TIG I would try it. And since I am not very experienced in hammer and dolly I will prob have to do a crap load of it and therefore I want to try to tip the scales in my favor as much as I can. Bought a set of Martin hammers and dollies since I had heard that cheap body hammers do not help that much if you are an amateur like myself. And I know it has been said before but DAMN you get that sheet metal to look nice. When I grow up I want to be like you
72 Chevy SWB: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486626 (Attempt/Mistake #2)
2000 Ford F350 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB, 310,000 miles running great (STOLEN St. Patricks Day 2014 AND NEVER RECOVERED)
Hook em Horns!!!
Old 05-31-2012, 04:59 PM   #1080
hotrod1
56 - autocross

TIG is great but it takes time and practice to actually learn to do it right. It would be difficult to just borrow a TIG and start welding sheetmetal immediately. MIG is as easy as point and pull the trigger. I would not be apprehensive in doing sheet with a MIG. Each machine has its benefits. MIG is just so simple to use and like BAM said TIG needs to be cleaner than clean otherwise you will make a mess of things.
hotrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:37 PM   #1081
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Great answers I think I read that in your words earlier that wire was still good. Just thought that if I had access to the TIG I would try it. And since I am not very experienced in hammer and dolly I will prob have to do a crap load of it and therefore I want to try to tip the scales in my favor as much as I can. Bought a set of Martin hammers and dollies since I had heard that cheap body hammers do not help that much if you are an amateur like myself. And I know it has been said before but DAMN you get that sheet metal to look nice. When I grow up I want to be like you
Man your first set of hammers and dollys are Martins? Nope I want to be like you when I grow up.lol You have hammers and dollys that you can leave to your grand kids. I have Martins myself but they sure were not my first set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod1 View Post
TIG is great but it takes time and practice to actually learn to do it right. It would be difficult to just borrow a TIG and start welding sheetmetal immediately. MIG is as easy as point and pull the trigger. I would not be apprehensive in doing sheet with a MIG. Each machine has its benefits. MIG is just so simple to use and like BAM said TIG needs to be cleaner than clean otherwise you will make a mess of things.
I agree. I thought I could tig before, but I'm light years better since I got my own and I still have a long way to go before I call myself a tig welder.lol

Last edited by Kabwe; 05-31-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:51 PM   #1082
El Campo

Yea I am kind of (ok totally) a tool junkie. I spend WAAAAAAAY too much on them But I learned a long ago that cheap tools sure do not help you do anything right. After a lot of research and reading I was convinced that in body tools (and ratchets) especially it was worth spending money and getting good ones the first time. Haha yea I am sure that that TIG is a PITA to learn. I would probably do like I did with an arc welder when I learned. My dad didn't know how to weld but had a Miller Dial-arc in the garage. When I was 13 I decided that I wanted to learn how to weld so I got a book at the library about it and then spent the next month worth of afternoons, every afternoon, teaching myself how. Burned through I don't know how many pounds of rods!!! Hmmm but now I have a job so I guess that wouldn't work darn this growing up thing!!! My friend who has the TIG is good with it, I could have him help me with it. Will probably just do it all MIG though. Ok back to the project at hand, we need more pictures!!!
Hook em Horns!!!
Old 05-31-2012, 07:47 PM   #1083
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Yea I am kind of (ok totally) a tool junkie. I spend WAAAAAAAY too much on them But I learned a long ago that cheap tools sure do not help you do anything right. After a lot of research and reading I was convinced that in body tools (and ratchets) especially it was worth spending money and getting good ones the first time.
You got that right, good tools make a hard job way easier and cheap tools make an easy job way more difficult. I hate cheap tools its just frustrating working with cheap tools.

Quote:
Haha yea I am sure that that TIG is a PITA to learn.
Actually its a lot of fun.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:42 PM   #1084
sevt_chevelle
Lost amongst the CORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
I thought I read somewhere that our trucks ARE made of 16 ga? Or is it more like 18ga?
19 ga on exterior panels minus the bedsides.
But with that said, modern day 18 ga is on the lower end of the tolerances and closely matches the original thickness scale of 19 ga typically measuring around .042...Eric

70 Chevelle gettin Sliced and Diced Anything But STOCK
70 Chevelle SS455 not a typo its a BUICK BABY
49 and 72 Chevy Trucks restored to original...close to it
Drommer Stor....Norwegian for Dream Big

http://s969.photobucket.com/albums/a...lle/?start=all

https://www.flickr.com/photos/47922830@N03/
Pictures of my work and projects
sevt_chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #1085
RexDodge

I just found your thread and read through. Wow, nice work. You're getting closer to having those twins . Can't wait to see a picture of them both, side by side.
RexDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #1086
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexDodge View Post
I just found your thread and read through. Wow, nice work. You're getting closer to having those twins . Can't wait to see a picture of them both, side by side.
Thanks man I will get a pic of them side by side when I finally finish the truck but the car will be torn down and rebuilt right after the pictures are snapped.lol
Old 06-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #1087
R.A.D
Account Suspended

there you go no time to rest
R.A.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:36 PM   #1088
El Campo

What are you going to do with the car!!!
Hook em Horns!!!
Old 06-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #1089
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
What are you going to do with the car!!!
Oh I'm just in the planning/wishing stage right now so things may change once I actually start the work. The current plan is a triangular 4 link and vette front suspension, and remove the 454 and replace it with an LS motor.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:52 PM   #1090
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabwe View Post
Oh I'm just in the planning/wishing stage right now so things may change once I actually start the work. The current plan is a triangular 4 link and vette front suspension, and remove the 454 and replace it with an LS motor.
Then your going to need a project to sit the 454 in.
VDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:56 PM   #1091
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDOG View Post
Then your going to need a project to sit the 454 in.
Well there is always someone that wants a big block. So it may just be for sale.lol
Old 06-05-2012, 07:25 PM   #1092
R.A.D
Account Suspended

yes the ls will be a great upgrade. reliabilty and gas mileage
Old 06-06-2012, 11:19 PM   #1093
Sal's '55 Chevy

Kabwe i know i a little late but when i was checking up on your build i couldn't agree more with the rim choice.....Not only because i got the same rims but i think they will look nice....I might have you on the bling bling contest and everyone knows everything is bigger in TEXAS!!!!! 20x8's and 22x12's
Attached Images

Sal's '55 Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:47 AM   #1094
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal's '55 Chevy View Post
Kabwe i know i a little late but when i was checking up on your build i couldn't agree more with the rim choice.....Not only because i got the same rims but i think they will look nice....I might have you on the bling bling contest and everyone knows everything is bigger in TEXAS!!!!! 20x8's and 22x12's
Yeah I would say you have more bling than me thats for sure.lol Man I really wanted 18x12's. But hey as the Stones said "You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need".

Last edited by Kabwe; 06-07-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:26 AM   #1095
faribran

another STONE's fan... KEWL.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #1096
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabwe View Post
Well there is always someone that wants a big block. So it may just be for sale.lol
So if i was interested in that big block, would I get the Kabwe is a good friend of mine discount?
VDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:16 PM   #1097
mavdog32

Kabwe, what thickness wire are you using for welding sheet?

And as always, ur doing a killer job
Posted via Mobile Device
mavdog32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:11 AM   #1098
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavdog32 View Post
Kabwe, what thickness wire are you using for welding sheet?

And as always, ur doing a killer job
Posted via Mobile Device
When mig welding sheetmetal I use .23 wire. and thanks for the compliment I really appreciate it. Thanks
Old 06-16-2012, 06:47 AM   #1099
lowdownstar
big guy

maybe that is why i am having a little bit of a hard time i've been using .35 wire. I know my welding we never be as nice as yours, but maybe if i use the right stuff it would help! lol Thanks for the help even if you didn't know you were doing it .

Thanks Ray
lowdownstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:57 AM   #1100
R.A.D
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowdownstar View Post
maybe that is why i am having a little bit of a hard time i've been using .35 wire. I know my welding we never be as nice as yours, but maybe if i use the right stuff it would help! lol Thanks for the help even if you didn't know you were doing it .

Thanks Ray

yeah 023 is industry standard for sheetmetal