The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-28-2022, 02:01 AM   #1
toolboxchev

New Aftermarket Cabs

I would not have thought these would be in reach a year ago. Now with the economy moving its up for reconsideration.

I have seen it covered here yet not very in depth. Would like to make this sticky or a permanent thread as I am sure most have lots of questions like me.

Who has done one? Having some pics to share would be nice. Are there more considerations one has to think of in the process? I heard mention on here that one guy would sell a cab he had been working on for a year that he would sell for 12k.

With that in mind I know all those hidden panels and small crevices leave a open wound for good ole rust to sneak in very quickly. Wax and Por15 only go so long.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 03:56 AM   #2
Richard

Re: New Aftermarket Cabs

A new cab is a great option for someone that needs a lot of repair. Would think that shipping and supply chain problems would make a new cab more expensive at this point in time, for me pretty much unobtainable unless I do not care about cost.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 07:39 AM   #3
52napco

The economy is definitely moving now but in the wrong direction..good used cabs are still around and as mentioned previously, parts are very scarce with the current shipping/supply
Chain issues
52napco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 07:43 AM   #4
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

With all the hoopla about rivets and all, I wonder what the rules are for VINs for these full replacement cabs. I imagine it will vary from state to state.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 10:24 AM   #5
dagnabbitt

One side effect of the availability - and high price - of repop cabs is that you might find yourself looking at your old cab a little differently. I have a cab that I used to think was beyond economical repair. Now it seems like it might be worth fixing. For every hundred dollar patch panel or 8 hour day I spend working on it I will feel like I'm saving money!
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 11:41 AM   #6
stepsider

Where are they made ?? How much Tweaking, massaging & fitting for doors, fenders & whatever has to or needed to be done ?? A old nice cab is looking better & better. Cost of shipping & cab ??
stepsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 10:14 PM   #7
72 tigger

They look nice

https://www.dynacornclassicbodies.co...k-cab-c10-k10/
Attached Images

Kirk
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 09:05 PM   #8
cj847

I think they are a great idea, but I have never done one. According to the ads I've seen, the doors are supposed to be fitted better than factory. I would say the same about a 69 Camaro, or a Mustang that needs 2 quarters, a roof skin, and floor pan.
The VIN issue is frustrating for some states. In my mind, what's the difference between a new shell with a vin tag switch vs. a factory VIN tag with 1 square foot of original vehicle attached that has had every panel replaced?
cj847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 09:47 PM   #9
NJ68stepside

Funny thing, my cab just came in today. It’s sitting at my buddies shop and ill grab it in a few days.

I bought it from Dynacorn. I have a 68 and I ordered a 69-70 cab. Non AC and high hump floor pan. Came with doors and I bought 2 fenders. My cab wasn’t too bad. But by the time I did all the work, it wasn’t economically or time justifiable for me.

I want to get this truck done and running. I don’t want to spend a year patching a cab then bondo the hell out of it

So when I pick it up, I’ll be sure to post a lot of pics.

And as far as DMV, does anyone really think they care? Seriously. We’re local knuckle busters here. Nobody cares what we do.

Previous cars:
1973 mustang convertible
2003 mustang Mach 1
Now building resto mod 68 C10 step

Last edited by NJ68stepside; 04-29-2022 at 10:07 PM.
NJ68stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 09:52 PM   #10
72 tigger

Looking forward to your report NJ68
Kirk
Old 04-29-2022, 10:08 PM   #11
NJ68stepside

I’m trying to post a pic. Not that easy. They’re all in my Dropbox account. Anyone have tips?

Previous cars:
1973 mustang convertible
2003 mustang Mach 1
Old 04-29-2022, 10:36 PM   #12
palallin

"MSRP $8,600."

Honestly, I put nearly that much in parts and labor and supplies into a so-so cab 15 years ago, and it's now a rust farm again. Starting here would make sense to me if I could afford to do anything at all.
Old 04-30-2022, 06:06 PM   #13
jocko

well don't feel bad, that's about how much I put into a truck too - I mean the WHOLE truck. I must be getting old... Regardless of price, I guess it is nice that it's an option out there for someone wanting to restore a truck with the cab too far gone to repair. I'm kinda curious about Bill's question above about attaching VIN tag , rivets, etc. I'd sure wanna talk to the state police and DMV BEFORE I purchased a replacement cab so I'd know for sure what I was getting myself into. Interested in hearing how others have done this - but I guess any answer would only apply to the given state it was done in.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 10:07 PM   #14
72 tigger

The VIN situation must not be a big deal, Dynacorn sells Camaro, Mustang and many other body shells that need VINs- or am l missing something?
Kirk
Old 04-30-2022, 11:29 PM   #15
jumpsoffrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 tigger View Post
The VIN situation must not be a big deal, Dynacorn sells Camaro, Mustang and many other body shells that need VINs- or am l missing something?
This is exactly why I posted my stupid naive thread earlier last week.
Still made me look-a-fool, but that's what I believed as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ68stepside View Post
And as far as DMV, does anyone really think they care? Seriously. We’re local knuckle busters here. Nobody cares what we do.
jumpsoffrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 08:52 AM   #16
1967GMCC20

New cab $$ brings piece of mind, if sealed, primed, painted.. Most body shops make so much money for deer hits, nose repairs they refuse to work on resto. I bought my truck for $7500, will have $15k into it to finish body. Be glad after market is there for us.
1967GMCC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 09:13 PM   #17
NJ68stepside

Just got my cab home and in the garage.

Here’s a video of it

https://youtu.be/JAO1ktuVDVg

Previous cars:
1973 mustang convertible
2003 mustang Mach 1
Old 05-01-2022, 09:36 PM   #18
Ironhorse

My concern would center on the vehicle VIN number and how it is obtained for state required registration. Many states all have there own laws and rules but I have seen on several other websites I'm on with some states being stricter than others on the older vehicles. Have seen some threads on tri-five Chevys and Chevelles go bad quickly when not following the requirements per original factory VIN tags. ie: removing a VIN tag for a repaint and then not being re-attached per factory style and or location. Before I was to move very far towards obtaining a newly manufactured cab with any $$ I would sure check ALL the requirements for one's individual state needs/requirements before hand.

That said, I can see the attraction for new metal with no rust and damage issues but would caution one to really look hard into the VIN legalities per the state one lives in.

One more issue with a state assigned VIN? Would the new cab have the re-sale value of a original restored cab with correct factory installed VIN? Lots to think of and ponder before taking the leap.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 09:36 PM   #19
72 tigger

Nice walk around and chassis in the background
Kirk
Old 05-02-2022, 08:25 AM   #20
tutone

I don't think the registration process would be impossible anywhere. Just different in some states. That being said, I see a really nicely built cab with -0- rust. I say with an aftermarket bed and new sheet metal, properly painted and undercoated, you have a truck that will serve you the entire rest of your life. You will also be able to pass it down to your kids and they can enjoy it for years. Most of us are cobbling together 50 something year old trucks that have held up through abuse and weather for a long time. Plus the fact that yours will be garage kept helps. Who was able to do that in the late 60s and early 70s. Not too terribly many.
1955 210 2 dr sedan/1998 RCSB Z71
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 10:04 AM   #21
jumpsoffrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutone View Post
I don't think the registration process would be impossible anywhere. Just different in some states. That being said, I see a really nicely built cab with -0- rust. I say with an aftermarket bed and new sheet metal, properly painted and undercoated, you have a truck that will serve you the entire rest of your life. You will also be able to pass it down to your kids and they can enjoy it for years. Most of us are cobbling together 50 something year old trucks that have held up through abuse and weather for a long time. Plus the fact that yours will be garage kept helps. Who was able to do that in the late 60s and early 70s. Not too terribly many.
in addition to this, I think the seam sealer used on these trucks wasn't of the same quality as what you can get nowadays, and as long as you wash out the cowl area and make sure that roof drip rail seam sealer is in tip-top shape, I really don't see much of a chance for rust to propagate.

Is there any seam sealer applied to these aftermarket cabs whatsoever? There are some seams in the cowl that are factory sealed that would be a royal PITA to try on your own. I *assume* they would apply sealer at stages before the cab was fully assembled.
jumpsoffrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 10:15 AM   #22
NJ68stepside

Good point. I doubt there is any seam sealer. I bet I could just close off the entire cowl. Not going to use it for anything other than windshield wiper arms.

I plan on going through the cab real well with some type of coating. Eastwood makes some good products and extension hoses to reach the deep places. I'll have to do my research on seam sealers and also preventative steps for the rockers and cab corners.

The only rain this thing will see when it's done is a wash.

Previous cars:
1973 mustang convertible
2003 mustang Mach 1
Old 05-02-2022, 11:31 AM   #23
Grumpy old man

It's cool and no rust is great it's your truck build it any way you want looks like a great way to start a custom build ... But I'd be checking with NJ DMV on how your going to title it ? You just may end up with a NJ state issued 2022 vin ? Nj still has state yearly inspections don't they ? I'd like to see how the doors and glass fit and I see a ton of body work that still has to be done , I don't see the toe panel braces installed ,I'm not sure they are reproduced ? And the drivers door jam has a dimple like you would see on the passengers side to hold the jack retention spring . Are you planning to use all reproduction parts or do you have a bed and front end already ? Are you doing all the build body work and paint or sending it out to a shop ? I'm interested in the whole process you'll have to go thru to avoid some rust repair . I just think using all reproduction parts you will lose some of the "Mystique value" of rebuilding a 50 year old classic truck and bringing it back to show quality to end up with a 2022 clone ? Just my opinion that and a $1 will get you a cup of coffee . Good luck I can't wait to see the finished project .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 11:52 AM   #24
Jason Banks

I noticed in the video that the outer cowl is multiple pieces...

I'd love to have started with one of these cabs.
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 12:17 PM   #25
mkmc69

That cab looks legit! Definitely a time saver!
mkmc69 is offline   Reply With Quote