The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-22-2007, 06:31 PM   #26
cochran63

Re: What Tools Do I NEED?

IF you are in the market for a sawzall and drill I would suggest milwaukee power tools. Their super sawzall is kick ass and can easily be found in pawnshops.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:31 PM   #27
cdowns

my theory on toolboxes

if you have 100% of your tools on open display with a big shiney easy freewheelin cart and you get HIT you loose 100% of your tools you're left with ZERO

i have many small toolboxes "job specific" welding,soldering,electricial, hole saws, grinder assys, pullers ,clamps, files ,drill bits, bicycle,flathead,metric my 1/2" and 3/4" sockets and ratchets are kept apart from the 3/8 and 1/4 stuff wrenches are divided up into 3or4 seperate kits // a mojority of hand tools are in non removable drawers under the workbench// most of my smaller toolboxes are stored thruout the shop eith on shelves or in cabinets near thier workstations when stored they are always unlatched so that if somebody grabs them by the top handle everythging falls out// yes i can still be hit by thieves but i think the chances of me loosing 100% are alot less than having that big shiney ball bearing gizmo that does no work and just screams to a thief HERE HERE TAKE IT ALL
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 06:52 PM   #28
shifty
Questionable

To each his own...I chalk it up to personal preference. I can see pros and cons either way, but let's be realistic here: If someone wants your tools, they're going to steal your tools. While smaller boxes are a great idea for portability, it takes just as long to steal 10 small boxes between two guys as it would for the same 2 guys to steal one large box with lots of tools in it. Bottom line: It's like what happens when you die - somebody gets your stuff.

I'm far from rich, and I know I don't have money to blow on a $2000 Snap-on box like I see other guys doing (I think it's dumb, myself), so I bought the Sears doublestack/ball-bearing one for 1/10th of that price (around $250 w/tax).

Started out with a couple basic tools that I could get by using with brute force - hacksaw, ballpeen, mallet, set of screwdrivers (clear Craftsman ones), crappy drillbits and a tool set w/sockets, metric and standard open+box end wrenches. Got a hand-me-down drill from my dad (black n Decker POS, still running after 16 years).

Bought a jack and jackstands. Inherited a compressor, which I rarely use. Went to harbor frieght, bought some washer kits, assorted box of electrical connector ends, and I still had a good set of crimpers and strippers from working at the stereo install shops I did before getting a "real" career.

I do fine. Bought a Dremel (cordless), rarely use it, but it managed to cut my stock exhaust setup out of the truck. Bought the Sawzall (Dewalt) for about $40 more than the Dremel, got about ten times more use out of it. I would say, out of all my powertools, the sawzall has done more on my truck than any other tool I own - I cut out x-members with it, sawed off rivet heads, cut out the tranny hump....all kinds of stuff. However, I wish I would have known how much better a Jigsaw with metal bits worked on body panels

I've made it by fine at this point, and always had a place to store my tools that someone couldn't just pick up and run off with. If anyone tried to, I'd damn sure hear them rolling away with it or trying to pry/bust the lock to get it open and take the tools from it .

I appreciate the viewpoint, and get where you're coming from, but the price of a "real" box that will last you a lifetime and hold all the tools you buy in the next 4-5 years and then some is negligible. You could pay $50 more and get a compressor, which would be about the only other thing I would suggest.

I'd rather spend $250 on a large rolling box setup than $250 on a few decent smaller portable boxes.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 01-22-2007 at 06:55 PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 07:16 PM   #29
Shane
Account Suspended

$2,000 SnapOn box? Apparently you haven't priced a SnapOn lately.

$2,000 will barely get you a SnapOn tackle box.

Last edited by Shane; 01-22-2007 at 07:18 PM.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 12:02 AM   #30
shifty
Questionable

Sorry - saw one used (and mostly empty) going for that on Craigslist. I don't even want to know what they go for brand new

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:27 AM   #31
WorkinLonghorn

I didn't read all of the above but make sure you have these also: Vacuum gauge,timing light,electric multi-tester (digital),compression gauge,tire pressure gauge (a good dial one),dwell-tach if you have points (mine is included in the multi-tester),grease gun and USE it,oil filter wrench,funnel and oil basin for changing oil (often).
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 12:31 AM   #32
Shane
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty View Post
Sorry - saw one used (and mostly empty) going for that on Craigslist. I don't even want to know what they go for brand new
Sorry, didn't mean to sound rude in my last post. Anywhoo ... you don't want to know what a home-size "weekend warrior" model would go for. It's crazy what those boxes sell for. I can understand (kinda-sorta-not really) a Pro Wrench using this sort of box and paying these prices, but for home use it's absolutely INSANE.

I have some SnapOn tools (new & used - mostly used) that I have purchased on Ebay and at D.O.D. auctions, but I can honestly say that I don't see myself buying any of the "truck brands" brand new off the truck for home use. My home use would never justify the cost.

Here's a prime example. This same size box can be had at Sears for approx. $500-$600 for both pieces ... ok, so it doesn't have the fancy-shmancy Harley Davidson decals on it, but dang if I can't buy my own decals for the difference in the price.

Ebay Link

Here's another. Nice box, but I want something to keep my tools in, not my family heirlooms. Geez, I have driven used cars that cost less.

Ebay Link #2

Craftsman box in same size would cost ya less than $300 ... ya got me on this one ... it's less than $2K!

Ebay Link #3

Last edited by Shane; 01-23-2007 at 12:33 AM.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:16 AM   #33
shifty
Questionable

Yikes. No thanks! I'd rather buy a new truck

I didn't take offense to your last post. I got where you were coming from. I don't think people always read your posts right, I usually have the same problem with mine

Old 01-23-2007, 07:48 AM   #34
bigblock73
yeller

All great suggestion thus far!

My only addition would be a step drill bit set. I just got one for the first time a few months back...absolutely love them. They don't bite and grab like conventional bits, don't tear sheet metal, and you don't have to change bits or drill pilot holes. Big time saver IMO.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 01:09 PM   #35
shifty
Questionable

Damn, I forgot to mention that, Jeff.

I got a great 3pc titanium "unibit" setup for $35 from Home Depot the other day also. I wish I would have had this when working on my frame. It is superb for boring out holes one size larger and it never will grab. I used it to mount my relocated tank a couple weeks ago. Best $35 ever spent on drill bits.

Old 01-23-2007, 01:34 PM   #36
bigblock73
yeller

I like them for the same reasons, also, you can chamfer the holes a little, looks great and cleans up the burrs perfectly (on the opposite side)

Last edited by bigblock73; 01-23-2007 at 01:34 PM.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:23 PM   #37
bobthecop

Great suggestions I would buy a telescoping magnet, mine has saved my a$$ more times than I can count, also I don't have to bend down as far to pick up that bolt. Also a good tap and die set has also saved me, broke off valve cover bolt in the head of a '63 chevy 6 cyl. Oh and easy outs. can ya'll tell nothing geos as smooth in reality as on paper?????
1969 c10 parts truck
1969 C-10 ( my sons)
1992 Silverado 4X4 (now the boys truck)(now mine again)
2002 Tarus (my wife loves that car)
bobthecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 04:51 PM   #38
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

the debate above on a tool box raises some very good points, both for, and against a nice box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthecop View Post
The old mechanics I know have old worn out craftsman tool boxes, full of good quality tools, the young guys think that status is a high dollar box, unless you have the cash to spend, get a cheaper box, used is the way to go.
I'll have to argue this point... when you have a decent craftsman box, that is only a year old, and only filled to 3/4 capacity, and the weight is making the floor on the bottom of the box sag... as in, the wheels are ripping up through the floor of the box... you'll start to like the quality of a high quality box. Yes, a nice box is damn expensive, however, you can still get deals. I paid 3200 for mine, it was used, I'd give it a 9 out of 10 on condition, it was about 3 years old. New it was closer to 7000, it was a repo, and I got it for just a littlemore than what the other cat owed. This didn't include the chopping block, the riser (hutch type cover) nor the locker on the right, I just got those allong with stainless covers for the drawers. Did I get ripped off? Ask me in 25 years when I still have this same box

Would I ever tell someone at home to buy something like this? H*LL no.
The reason I recomend a decent box (like the sears ones I posted before)... you can have the best d@mn tools money can buy, but, if you can't locate them, they do you no good. When you are laying underneath the truck, holding the tail shaft of the tranny up with your left foot, kicking the crossmember back with your right foot, unscrewing the last 2 bolts on the bellhousing by hand, and one gets a little bound up to where you can't do it by hand anymore... and you tell your kid brother, your child, wife, girlfriend... whomever is in the room to grab a 9/16ths rachet wrench... it's a LOT easier to say, it's in the third drawer in the center... instead of saying it's in the silver box with the Summit sticker... no, not Jegs, Summit, dig for it in the bottom, it's in there somewhere...faster please, this tranny is heavy.

Yes, I exadurated a little, but you get the idea.
I worked side jobs at home, and on my own junk for 15 years or so out of stupid tote boxes... it was enough to make me want to never do another job again.

In the end, James will do what James will do. He'll either not be bothered with the multiple tote box idea, or he'll get sick of it and kick them across the garage, or start off with a little more than most of us started with. Even though he is still young, and in school... and by defult, doesn't have lots of money... I think most of us will agree, that this point of his life, he has more money to spend on himself. In 7 years, that $350 box may well be really far out of reach. Right now, it's just a couple weeks savings, and a little less snacking and no new CD's or computer games.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:16 PM   #39
raggedjim

I started out with a 1/2" wrench, a 9/16" wrench, and a flat screw driver. I'll bet I could almost disassemble most of my truck with just that!

Now I have a lot more, I used to work in a shop doing motor rewind/welder/generator repair and all the guys there bought SnapOn from the truck. I bought a lot of SnapOn tools from them for pennies on the dollar when things got tight.

They used to laugh because I had $2,000.00 worth of tools I bought for $500.00 in a cheap tool box... I just smiled... I'll bet they have loans on new Z-71's even now... Some people never learn.

Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:17 PM   #40
bobthecop

I know you are right, I have (now) a snap-on box I bought used and 2 side Mac boxes also bought used, (and they are all full) but I started with the craftsman. I guess being at mid-life I see things from a perspective of what was good enough when I started and not trying to start where the older guys had attained to. I know the value of a good strong tool box, but for me I had to out grow the craftsman to justify the bigger stronger box. Then I also had the tools to put in it. I've seen a few young just out of school mechanics have to give over 1/2 their paycheck to the snap on man and had to borrow money for gas. If you can afford it get the biggest strongest box you can find, it will out last you. If you are on a tight budget lesser quality will suffice until you can save for the one you want. Personally I want the big snap on box like the one shown above, but there are other things I need to spend the $$$ on first. I'll get there just not today, sorry if I offended anyone, it certainly was not my intent. I guess we (or should I say I) have the problem of wanting more than just enough to get by, or we would not have much to talk about in this forum.
1969 c10 parts truck
1969 C-10 ( my sons)
1992 Silverado 4X4 (now the boys truck)(now mine again)
2002 Tarus (my wife loves that car)

Last edited by bobthecop; 01-23-2007 at 05:18 PM.
bobthecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:35 PM   #41
Longhorn Man

if I came across as offended, it wasn't supposed to... my fault. I was just defending... giving reasons for upgraded box, not just the excuses some will give. I was totally ticked/p!ssed when my craftsman box started sagging. I don't *think* it was overloaded... coulda been part of there new cheap lesser quality items. I also see things like you many times... where I coulda done without this... or shoulda gone without that, and normally, I recomend starting out small.

One thing none of us have considered, and James hasn't really commented on, how far in the hobby is he planning on going? Is this truck a one time hoby vehicle, and after that it's car loans and full coverage on the only car he owns... will he be like me and insist on driving old stuff , will he end up restoring a slew of classics through his life... this will also dictate what direction he goes. If he moves into a New york appartment, a roll away...even a smaller one, will be more of a problem than an asset.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:47 PM   #42
raggedjim

Yeah, when I started re-doing my jimmy I realized I NEEDED an air compressor, mig welder, yadda, yadda, yadda... At least it's all paid for... I can't sleep knowing I owe people money...

I could almost start a business with all the crap I have now...

Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:08 PM   #43
1969C/10
Unskilled Labor

Well I plan on driving older trucks for years to come. I want to buy another old truck as a daily driver(I have my eye on a 1970 K10 near my house) and start working on my current truck. I would like to fix the rusted out areas that are currently filled with bondo (There are three guys at my work who weld for a living so I think I can get them to help with that ) and do a few other things like an original bed, lower it some, and stuff like that. I'm hoping to be able to do this stuff at my grandparent's farm because they have a new barn/garage that is mostly unused.
Right now I'm just trying to get enough tools to do basic stuff. I think I'm going to try to get a 3 stack ball bearing craftsman tool box for my birthday (I will have to pay for most of it, but I think my parents will help out a little). Once again I would like to thank all of you guys for your ideas, I now have a pretty good idea of what I want to spend my paychecks on. I agree with Andy that now is the time for me to buy this kind of stuff, since I'm living at home and getting free meals. When I go to college I probably wont have any extra money for tool (hopefully enough to keep working on my truck slowly though). I will keep you guys updated as I start to put together my tool collection for working on my truck this summer. Thanks!
Old 01-24-2007, 01:21 AM   #44
Longhorn Man

james...when we gonna look at the K/10? You still got my number?
Old 01-24-2007, 09:32 AM   #45
cdowns

www.jalopyjournal.com www.garagejournal.com are a couple of sites to check thier classifieds for some deals if theres anything near you// i've been using both sites to downsize my shop recently

Old 01-24-2007, 10:13 AM   #46
Shane
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
www.jalopyjournal.com www.garagejournal.com are a couple of sites to check thier classifieds for some deals if theres anything near you// i've been using both sites to downsize my shop recently
Saw the midget racer for sale a month or so back ... did you have any luck selling it?
Old 01-24-2007, 11:17 AM   #47
cdowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Saw the midget racer for sale a month or so back ... did you have any luck selling it?

no interest at all so i took the nerf bars and bumpers off straightened and blasted them and sent them to the powdercoater(chrome)

Old 01-24-2007, 11:48 AM   #48
Shane
Account Suspended

Nice! I would love to see pics once you get the parts back and reassembled.

P.S. When are you ever gonna make up to Birmingham to visit the Barber Museum!?! Get in touch with me around March-April and I will set you up with tickets for the AMA event. I might even feed ya some lunch.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:43 PM   #49
1969C/10
Unskilled Labor

Update! I've been buying a few tools a week and just got a toolbox to put them all in . Its nice to have my own tools to use now, but I still need a few things before I will be real happy like a drill and sawzall. Here are pics of a couple drawers I took before my camera died.

Old 04-01-2007, 09:30 PM   #50
Shane
Account Suspended

Looks Good!

Be careful ... buying new tools is addictive ... and costly.

You're gonna love those GearWrenches ... I have 2 sets of the SAE and Metric combination and 1 each of the SAE & Metric in the double box end.

P.S. Here's an idea ... I wonder if the admins would set up a section where we could trade tools ... I know I have lots of duplicates of certain things and would love to be able to trade the duplicates for stuff I need.

Admins?

Last edited by Shane; 04-01-2007 at 09:32 PM.