The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-25-2023, 03:29 PM   #1
CKfan

went cheap on the door seals

Was ordering something from LMC and decided to also buy some door seals while I was at it. I usually use a different vendor but was trying to save on shipping. Figured they are probably all being made in the same place anyway.

Ever door seal I have done has either been exactly end to end in fitment or I had to trim a little off.

LMC did the trimming for me...... about an inch and a quarter short on both sides!
Always something (unless I find more openings grew)
Being "thrifty" rarely pays off for me
Attached Images

CKfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 03:35 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: went cheap on the door seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKfan View Post
Was ordering something from LMC and decided to also buy some door seals while I was at it. I usually use a different vendor but was trying to save on shipping. Figured they are probably all being made in the same place anyway.

Ever door seal I have done has either been exactly end to end in fitment or I had to trim a little off.

LMC did the trimming for me...... about an inch and a quarter short on both sides!

Read this thread:

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=821404

And this one:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=741910

They fit and work great....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 03:56 PM   #3
CKfan

Thanks LocDoc, I have read those before.
Just kicking myself for being cheap. I would re-read them but it won't make mine grow
Old 09-25-2023, 04:03 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Thanks LocDoc, I have read those before.
Just kicking myself for being cheap. I would re-read them but it won't make mine grow

I got a pair of the Honda seals at the local salvage yard for $13.50 and it took me all of 5 minutes to install them. That's pretty cheap.....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 04:32 PM   #5
jumpsoffrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
I got a pair of the Honda seals at the local salvage yard for $13.50 and it took me all of 5 minutes to install them. That's pretty cheap.....

LockDoc
My town has one "pick your part" and I go every month or so, I'd be lucky to see one 06-11 civic coupe every 6 months and (yes I'm counting) so far 1 out of 4 have had a sorta-usable set(one small tear), the other 3 were in shreds.

I'll always be on the lookout.
jumpsoffrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 09:58 PM   #6
MikeB

Precision brand push-on seals are the only way to go, IMO. Get them from GMC Paul's or Summit Racing.

If your rocker panels have been replaced, the Honda seals may let the doors close easier, but they don't look very nice unless you trim them. Again, IMO.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 10:11 PM   #7
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
Precision brand push-on seals are the only way to go, IMO. Get them from GMC Paul's or Summit Racing.

If your rocker panels have been replaced, the Honda seals may let the doors close easier, but they don't look very nice unless you trim them. Again, IMO.
This!!!! They will be a little tight at first but once they break in they work really really well, and are easy to remove when necessary.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 10:24 PM   #8
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57taskforce View Post
This!!!! They will be a little tight at first but once they break in they work really really well, and are easy to remove when necessary.
Yes. Glue-on seals absolutely suck Ford exhaust!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
Old 09-26-2023, 12:11 AM   #9
CKfan

Thanks for the replies.
I will be going with Precision as I should have done in the 1st place. I last used them after seeing a review by Stout Customs a couple years ago. They do fit very well.
I at least hope my LMC review will help someone else.
Old 09-26-2023, 12:47 AM   #10
1970 CST Short Wide
Senior Moment

LMC has been Bad lately. I ordered inside door handles awhile back and the Spindles didn’t match. Everything is made in Taiwan
2019 GMC Diesil Dually. Youngest Son
2017 Toyota SUV Daughters car
2018 Traverse , Wife’s Ride
Pittsburg Ca
1970 CST Short Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 02:09 PM   #11
MidLifer

+1 on the Honda seals. Made my doors close like a new truck. Threw the Taiwanese set in the trash and never looked back.
MidLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 10:18 AM   #12
MikeB

As for Taiwanese parts, I typically find they are better than Chinese communist parts. But I'm talking about hard parts, like hood hinges.

Had a vendor (H&H) tell me several years ago that he stopped selling window regulators (55-57 Chevy, as I recall) because he got so many returns. Apparently there was only one manufacturer for a while, and they were Chinese. He finally started getting good quality versions from Taiwan.

I think a lot of the good stuff has clear packaging like GM uses (or used to use), with the name "Counterparts" in blue. However, I just read an old thread where GMC Paul's said that brand ranges from very good to bad.
Old 09-27-2023, 10:31 AM   #13
MidLifer

I've used plenty of good stuff from both Chinas, but the Honda door seals (which may also be made in China, who knows) work better on our trucks than anything else.

For my 1950 3100 I used Soffseal door seals and they are great. Steele's also makes good ones for AD trucks, don't know if they have it for 67-72 trucks or not. No idea where either of them are produced.

I miss my 71 C10....but it won't be the last 67-72 for me...

Quote:
As for Taiwanese parts, I typically find they ae better than Chinese communist parts. But I'm talking about hard parts, like hood hinges.

Had a vendor (H&H) tell me several years ago that he stopped selling window regulators (55-57 Chevy, as I recall) because he got so many returns. Apparently there was only one manufacturer for a while, and they were Chinese. He finally started getting good quality versions from Taiwan.

I think a lot of the good stuff has clear packaging like GM uses (or used to use), with the name "Counterparts" in blue. However, I just read an old thread where GMC Paul's said that brand ranges from very good to bad.
MidLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 08:17 PM   #14
jumpsoffrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLifer View Post
I've used plenty of good stuff from both Chinas, but the Honda door seals (which may also be made in China, who knows) work better on our trucks than anything else.

For my 1950 3100 I used Soffseal door seals and they are great. Steele's also makes good ones for AD trucks, don't know if they have it for 67-72 trucks or not. No idea where either of them are produced.

I miss my 71 C10....but it won't be the last 67-72 for me...
Somebody on here insisted that Steele uses precision seals for our trucks, and they were sure about it.
Old 09-27-2023, 10:09 PM   #15
dmjlambert

Quote:

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this, here goes. I got some more expensive seals and installed and came up with the same gap. Then I read in a post here on the forum it matters how you install, because as you go around the door frame and push the seal on, there is an opportunity to bunch or stretch the rubber by an almost imperceptible amount. Then when you get to the point where the 2 ends meet you either have too much or not enough. I took mine loose, and just to see how it would turn out, I barely pulled as I put it on, and sure enough I had an extra 4 or 5 inches that I could have cut off. I look it loose again and with some "precision" installation trial and error, the 2 ends met perfectly. I suspect yours will meet perfectly and work fine if you install it with this in mind.
dmjlambert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 11:17 PM   #16
jumpsoffrock

^^^Very insightful experience and advice. Would never have thought of that.
Old 09-27-2023, 11:21 PM   #17
CKfan

I put them on and off mmmmmm.... around 15 times trying to stretch them like a 70's stretch arm strong toy. Got them to just barely meet and then fought with the door not closing which started another can of worms.., Finally got driver's door to close decent but the P/S side is crazy hard to shut.

Both doors were pre-fit and sweetly I must add, after body work and prior to paint but I failed to pre-test new rubber (big mistake I have re-lived). Tried some lube on the rubber face last night slammed the door and let set over night. Checked this morning and the rubber had shrunk back to around a 1 inch gap (its memory as they say) and the fit still sucks.

Being a seasoned citizen and having done this a time or three, I can say it is as frustrating as usual. But I only have myself to blame for failing to pre-fit before paint.
Old 09-27-2023, 11:23 PM   #18
CKfan

P.S. I dare you to try and stretch the LMC ones, you will get a work out and no more length.

These are the press on type (no glue). The interior side rubber is hard and not really flexible like the door face, which is very flexible.

Last edited by CKfan; 09-27-2023 at 11:28 PM. Reason: spell and clarification
Old 09-28-2023, 09:18 AM   #19
Joyridin

Quote:
P.S. I dare you to try and stretch the LMC ones, you will get a work out and no more length.

These are the press on type (no glue). The interior side rubber is hard and not really flexible like the door face, which is very flexible.
What is amazing is the Honda seals are 1 piece designs and not matter how you install them, they seem to fit perfectly. I think it took a whopping 5-10 minutes a side on the seals to install.
Joyridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 11:10 AM   #20
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyridin View Post
What is amazing is the Honda seals are 1 piece designs and not matter how you install them, they seem to fit perfectly. I think it took a whopping 5-10 minutes a side on the seals to install.
Did you leave the outer flap (for lack of better word) or trim it off? Are the seals grey? Photos?

My Precision seals are great, however it takes too much effort the close the doors. The problem is at the front of both rocker panels which were replaced years ago. There's a video out there somewhere with a guy bending back the tops of the panels and test-fitting the seals before paint, a luxury I don't have. But I'm not averse to removing the doors, doing the work and doing any touch-up paint as necessary.
Old 09-28-2023, 11:27 AM   #21
Joyridin

Quote:
Did you leave the outer flap (for lack of better word) or trim it off? Are the seals grey? Photos?

My Precision seals are great, however it takes too much effort the close the doors. The problem is at the front of both rocker panels which were replaced years ago. There's a video out there somewhere with a guy bending back the tops of the panels and test-fitting the seals before paint, a luxury I don't have. But I'm not averse to removing the doors, doing the work and doing any touch-up paint as necessary.
I did not do any modification to the seals. I read the post on removing the flap, but I didn't see an issue. The seals look black to me. Maybe not tire black, but definitely not gray.

I can pop the seals off in 1 minute, and have them back on in 5-10. I opened both packages and removed the seals originally. I installed the PS on the DS. It looked a bit weird before I realize what I had done. Whipped it off, installed it on the PS and all is good. I bought them from a Honda dealership online.

Oh...I should mention my truck is nowhere near stock, so if you are in restoration mode instead of modification mode, the flap, color, and design might not be exactly what you are looking for in the Honda gaskets.
Old 09-28-2023, 11:42 AM   #22
MikeB

Did you buy the Honda seals new?
Old 09-28-2023, 01:22 PM   #23
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post

LockDoc
Same here. I’ve used them on three different trucks, best fitting seals and I’ve tried a lot of different ones.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 04:42 PM   #24
Joyridin

Quote:
Did you buy the Honda seals new?
Yes. I bought them off David McDavid Honda dealer online. They were $142 including shipping for the pair.
Old 09-29-2023, 11:30 AM   #25
CKfan

Some have suggested buying the Honda rubber so I checked a couple of the sites listed either "no longer available" or out of stock or don't ship.

Called a couple not so local wrecking yards, said you have to come check yourself and/or we don't have inventory records. As fun as driving wrecking yard to wrecking yard which are few and far between here and have no "inventory records" which means you go on a prayer, at $6 a gallon I'll pass.

Local Honda dealer, Oxnard DCH Honda parts dept. want $125 "each" for black the 2dr door seals. That is pricey!
Part #72315 SVAA01 ZA Right side
Part #72355 SVAA01 ZA Left side

Hondapartshub.com (does ship)
Product Description Price Quantity Total
Seal, R Front Door Opening *NH167L* (Graphite Black)
Seal, R Front Door Opening *NH167L* (Graphite Black)
Product ID: 72315-SVA-A01ZA
$59.08 Quantity $59.08

Seal, L Front Door Opening *NH167L* (Graphite Black)
Seal, L Front Door Opening *NH167L* (Graphite Black)
Product ID: 72355-SVA-A01ZA

$59.08 Quantity $59.08

Subtotal Amount: $118.16 with shipping $135

Thanks to the info from others I have a set ordered.........reluctantly.

Last edited by CKfan; 09-29-2023 at 11:52 AM. Reason: spell and clarification