The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-14-2011, 12:40 PM   #1
goregalore

Gorey's 67 GMC 3/4 ton Shop Truck

Alright,
Here is the start of my thread for the 67 GMC 3/4 ton I just purchased 2 weeks ago. It was purchased new in Arizona, and was used as the shop truck for decades. Recently the gentleman gave the truck to his nephew who served in afghanistan as a gift, and it was trailered back to indiana.

I posted a gallery and will work to keep it updated when I work on the truck.

I found it on Craigslist and I had been looking for a couple weeks.

It is in excellent condition for how old it is.
There is only 1 through body rust spot on the whole truck and that is in the driver side rocker panel.

Other than that it is all surface rust, and there is one dent in the whole truck.

Prior to buying it I had already made plans to purchase a 66 or 67 GMC and pulling the v6 and trans that is had in it and replacing with a 350, so it coming with one only made my job easier.
It has a 350 with a 4 barrel holley carb and a 400 turbo trany.
The carbs need to rebuilt and I purchased holley brand rebuild kit, New floats, and choke linkage kit (the linkage was trashed) and have all the parts to do that now. Even so, the engine runs good.
Just replaced the plugs, but probably need to go ahead and replace the plug wires, distributor, and rotor, Will be also replacing the belts asap, as will the thermostat gasket. It is leaking.

It has a very recently rebuilt rearend

currently it has no rear brakes. You can see the last owner put a pair of vice grips on the brake hose in the rearend pic. LOL
I also have all the parts to rebuild the rear brakes soon. And will also need to reattach the emergency brake.

The truck has some great details to it

So what I was thinking of doing is cleaning up all the rust, and doing a faux finish patina paint job. So it looks old, and distressed, but is protected. I have alot of experience in doing this in my business. I haven't done any painting on trucks but tons and tons of Haunted House props since that is my business for the last 13 years.
http://www.gore-galore.com

It also used to be a camper as evidenced by the tank switches, and the left and right fuel tank covers that do not have tanks behind them anymore

I also just purchased baby moon hub caps and 16" trim rings from
http://www.autoamenity.com/
I was surprised to find 12" baby moons to replace the ford dog dish hub caps that came on it. I looked for days. This was the ONLY place I could find 12" baby moons let alone being 2.5 inches deep.

I will be selling the ford hub caps as soon as I get the new hubcaps on it.

I know that most hubcaps do not fit over the floating hubs on the heavy duty rearend. But I measured and these are REAL close. The Baby moons I found are 2.5 inches deep so that should be enough to drill out and tap screws into the rims if they do not snap onto the 4 humps on the rims well enough. I will also be painting the rims to match the body.

The interior, dash, and gauge cluster are also trashed.

And lots of other misc broken parts like the driver side mirror, vent window glass, and handle, and shifter knob. The windows seals ALL seam to leak. And ALL the body and bed mounts need to be replaced.
But I know I made a great investment. The important parts such as the frame, engine, transmission, rearend, and body are ALL in phenomenal shape.

It also came with ALL the trim work. Some is slightly bent so I possibly be selling it to.

Please comment,
I look forward to learning from the members of this forum and hopefully I can impart some of the little knowledge I also have to this group.
goregalore is offline   Reply With Quote