The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-05-2023, 05:20 AM   #26
Ironangel

Re: Ignition key door key

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper42 View Post
not here to argue with the apparent guru of keys and locks, but if the expert says they all came with ONE key and not two, then why do all the aftermarket suppliers say otherwise - one square key for the ignition "code C" and the other for the doors - a round key with "code D"?

My darn near original, unmolested '72 C10 has two keys - no reason to suggest any of the locks/ignition would have been swapped out. I don't have the OEM keys, so I went with Classic Industries and got the OEM looking keys, however the door key does not match the pattern to even fit. the key for the door lacks the longest groove at the top most portion of the key (bottom picture - right side), thus I am not certain which key would actually work. Based on visual comparison of "GM keys" online it seems that "code B" is the correct one for my doors.

(LEFT - old working key: RIGHT - new not working key)
I've had several keys made for my 72's that didnt work in the doors and or the ignition. I give them a once over with the bench wire wheel and they work! Once more, I can unlock or lock any door in either of my 72's or my two 71's with any key from either truck. One 72 will allow me to remove the key while the truck is running while none of them will allow a strange key to start the truck. I locked my keys in an 86 Blazer at a family reunion at a small town city park many years ago. I was frantic because I had to be at work the next morning many miles away. A state trooper came and tried for an hour with two different types of jimmy bars to no avail. A man came over and offered to use his keys to a 1968 El Camino and "Wahla" his key opened the door! I love the fact that you can't lock your keys in these trucks! One of GM's greatest ideas in my opinion!
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 03:27 PM   #27
Casper42
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
"All" is a pretty strong word, and "all" of them don't say that. The below suppliers list 67-72 truck sets with one key for all locks
Your '72 would have came from the factory with all of the locks keyed to the "C" keyway and used the same key for all locks..... If your '72 GM truck uses two different keys then one or more of your locks have been changed at some point in it's life.

LockDoc
your post has incorrect info. You are linking to door "lock sets" NOT keys for instance in the LMC website. If you would go to keys, not lock sets, you'll see that LMC, NPD and Classic Industries "ALL" show the two different keys - round for door, and square for ignition.

Also, your statement of my "all" is no different than your statement that all 72's came with ONE key. I say this specifically as there is no evidence to support a reason my door locks or ignition switch were ever changed out...though I suppose it was possible for some odd reason, as it is a 50 year old truck

Last edited by Casper42; 04-05-2023 at 03:59 PM.
Casper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 05:51 PM   #28
'68OrangeSunshine

On three of my trucks, the Ignition and Door Lock key was the same.
'67 K/10 Suburban -- Key [originally octagonal] worked Ign, Doors and Tailgate.
'68 C/10 Stepside -- Key [also originally octagonal] Ign and Doors. Glovebox,
added later, was a different key.
'71 K/1500 GMC Jimmy -- Key works in Ign and Doors. Tailgate key was different.

Due to wear on daily drivers over decades, I've gone to the rectangular headed keys.

I've had the best re-key results from Home Depot's ''robot'' key copy machine. Worst results from ''helpful'' amatuers at Ace Hardware, who screwed it up 3 times in a row.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 08:41 PM   #29
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
your post has incorrect info. You are linking to door "lock sets" NOT keys for instance in the LMC website. If you would go to keys, not lock sets, you'll see that LMC, NPD and Classic Industries "ALL" show the two different keys - round for door, and square for ignition.

Also, your statement of my "all" is no different than your statement that all 72's came with ONE key. I say this specifically as there is no evidence to support a reason my door locks or ignition switch were ever changed out...though I suppose it was possible for some odd reason, as it is a 50 year old truck

The only difference is that my "ALL" is true, and I have the Briggs & Stratton, GM lock and key books to prove it..

I have a good idea. You rely on a web site that has no idea what they are even selling (if you don't believe that call and ask them a question) and I'll rely on my 46 years of locksmith experience....

It's pretty obvious that you aren't going to believe me no matter what I say so this will be my last reply to you.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 04-05-2023 at 09:53 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 11:25 PM   #30
FirstOwner69

LockDoc is right.

In post 4 I said my '69 came with only one rectangular head key (actually 2 identical rectangular keys). I was surprised because all the GM cars I was familiar with different keys (actually 2 of each type). I am 100% sure since I bought the truck new. I even asked the dealer about it. He said that was the norm.

Last edited by FirstOwner69; 04-06-2023 at 06:58 PM.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 03:42 AM   #31
Ironangel

Quote:

How long have you owned this truck? Perhaps a previous owner swapped in an ignition switch...?
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 01:45 PM   #32
FirstOwner69

I just noticed that I misspoke in post 30 when I described my keys as having hexagonal shaped heads. I have edited post 30 to say "rectangular". Sorry if that has caused any confusion.
Old 04-07-2023, 02:31 PM   #33
68 C10 Driver

I am with LockDoc, my 68 only came with a single key that unlocks the doors and works the ignition switch. I remember this was common with GM vehicles. Having owned several 60s era GM vehicles this was common. In actuality, the key should also unlock the glove box as well (if equipped with a lock mechanism).
68 C10 Driver is offline   Reply With Quote