The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-27-2013, 07:16 AM   #1
wayne4252004

350 Freshin Up

I've got a 350 in my truck and I've got a few oil leaks. I was going to pull apart the top end and replace all the gaskets and thought about going over the heads as well to freshen them up. I'd like to port and polish them. Anyone have some good information on doing this job. Such as steps, tools, what to look for etc.
Greatly Appreciated.
Wayne
wayne4252004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:31 PM   #2
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Re: 350 Freshin Up

How many miles are on the engine. Was it just assembeled with poor gaskets or is it tires is whay it's leaking? Point is, just a gasket job and freshen the heads will typically show any weak link in the rest of the motor. It's a lot of work to tear it apart. Not freshening the bottom end also is a lot of wasted effort unless it's a 15000-20000 mile motor.

Doing a backyard port job is a good way to screw up a decent set of heads. If you don't know what your doing and don't have a flow bench it can be a lot of wasted effort, or worse the demise of a OK set of heads. Without a compression change and cam change it may show SERIOUSLY small returns in power.

But... if you must...

http://www.small-block-chevy.com/images/port1.jpg
http://www.small-block-chevy.com/images/port2.jpg
http://www.small-block-chevy.com/images/port3.jpg
http://www.small-block-chevy.com/images/port4.jpg

Just remember these drawings are for some of the more popular performance heads and you need to verify casting thickness before you blindly sit down with a bunch of tootsie rolls and an air grinder and and start hogging out material.

And wear eye protection and a DUST MASK. The nostrils and the lungs really don't like the fine metalic shards a carbide burr and/or a tootsierolls send into the air.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #3
gofastnut

The way I've done it, twice only, was to lay an intake gasket (that matches the intake manifold) up against the head and use a black marker to trace out the shape of where you will want to remove material to blend in, and be all in by maybe an inch.
I know this is called gasket matching, but if you can get a junk cylinder head and practice this part, you'll get an idea of what needs to be done to the rest of the head.
Always take too little, it's way better than taking too much, which you can't put back!
C-10 Club
My achingly slow build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=508345
gofastnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:16 PM   #4
hotrod 80
mini truck racer

A topend job with a reseal will find a bad ring seal in a cylinder of a older long block . Also need a bit more info on the combo .
1978 Chevy Luv Blue
1976 Chevy Luv Black
1979 Firebird Flooded in Harvey
1999 F350 Dually
2005 GMC Sierra 4.8 RCSB
2014 Explorer (wifes)

My build :http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=399148

Build #2: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=653583
hotrod 80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:50 AM   #5
wayne4252004

So what I have is a late 70's 350 four bolt main with 2.02/1.94 cast iron heads. I've replaced the valve cover gaskets with the steel lined gaskets. This has really helped. But I've still got some leaks in other places. Hence I thought about pulling off the top half of the motor to replace the gaskets. Figured I would do some work on it while I had it apart.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:30 PM   #6
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

You don't need to pull the heads to fix any oil leaks. The heads have no oil passages in them. The intake valley is prolly leaking. Also check the oil pressure sending unit to see if it is leaking.

Doing any headwork (even a valve job with new seals) is a waste of time and money on any high mileage engine. You'll be huffin' oil smoke out the tail pipe as it sucks oil past the worn out rings into the combustion chamber.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:46 PM   #7
wayne4252004

Thanks for all your input. The back four bolts on my intake manifold were not tight I was able to remove them with my fingers. So I went ahead and removed the intake manifold and installed new gaskets and resealed it. Runs great and no more leaking.