The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board > 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-02-2011, 07:22 PM   #1
Mulk

Re: Mulk's 8-Lugger

Here's the hinges.

After getting the Hinges into the body, I tied them together with a section of 1x1 tubing to keep them aligned, and tacked everything into place.

I had to make the pockets for the door. The ones with the kit were too shallow. So I used some 2x4 box tube I had around, and fabbed them up. Once I got thos tacked into place, and made sure everything was still aligned, i also tied those together with a section of 1x1 angle iron.

The door is solid, with no "sag" whatsoever, and stays put when closed. Once I figure out interior, I deal with covering that lower door pocket.
Attached Images

'68 C20 Suburban, Bagged with Suicide 3rd Door, and Loaded with a 396 - Under Construction
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=403690
Mulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:23 AM   #2
Mulk

Thanks for all the pos feedback. I'll get more photos up prob tomorrow, depending on what my wife has planned for me. And I'll get those tire sizes when I get home from work.
Posted via Mobile Device

'68 C20 Suburban, Bagged with Suicide 3rd Door, and Loaded with a 396 - Under Construction
Old 05-02-2011, 08:03 PM   #3
babylonflyer

ohhhh ... 8 lug and 396 ..... easy with the pedal... Nice ride
babylonflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:38 PM   #4
Mulk

Well I finally got some free time to work on the handle move for the suicide conversion, and I took a few photos along the way....

I decided it would be easiest to just cut-out the old handle section, flip it, and move it to the other end of the door. I didn't like my first line

Here's the new patch section, ready to be tacked into place

I bought a drivers side handle, and knowing I wouldn't be able to use the push-button to open (due to the window), I modified the handle to flush-mount.

AFTER cutting the old section out, I realized the hole to attach the handle weren't level. So my bright idea of flipping the section went out the window. I decided it would be easier to cut-out the recessed section, and just drill new mounting holes. The third hole is for the push-button plunger to clear. I shortened the spring and plunger, and used the body as a spring stop, so the button still goes in/out.

I did a couple skim-coats of body filler, some primer, and blocked it down to where I'm happy for now. Then shot some guide-coat, and attatched the handle.

I'm very pleased with the look. I'll finish when I'm done with the build, and get ready for paint.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:58 PM   #5
Mulk

It's funny how these projects just snowball from one part to the next...

I collected everything i needed to get started on 'bagging this beast, and realized I better address the low hanging exhaust.

So I ordered a set of Sanderson BBC Shorties... Quality pieces. I couldn't afford the ceramic, so I just sprayed and baked with some header paint.

I then removed the inner fenders so I could start the suspension work, and noticed how truely nasty the whole engine and compartment looked. So I started removing and cleaning old parts. Which lead to a new water pump, 110amp alternator, Mickey Thompson finned valve covers, lots of elbow grease, some paint, blah blah blah... Not all on in this shot, but looking good

Needless to say, I haven't really made much progress on the suspension. But I can say I very happy with the way the old 8 Lugger is cleaning up!

Old 05-27-2011, 12:33 AM   #6
salvo

Looking great Mulk!
76 FJ40 LandCruiser - 454, TH350, NP205, Ford 9"
98 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 Cummins
salvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:38 AM   #7
67chevy1series

looks great i love the orange wheels!
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:52 AM   #8
Average Joe

Nice work. Very cool build!
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 01:10 PM   #9
wild4wheels

Dude, you so totally rock! Love the truck-hope to see it someday ... hmm trip to Vegas?

Current truck
"Ida Mae" 71 K5 Blazer

Former Trucks
"Loretta" 71 Longbed (AZ)
"Tanya" 69 Stepside (AZ)
"Ferdinand" 71 Longhorn (SD)
"Patches" 67 Panel (IA/ KY)
"Rosita" 68 C30 (KY)

Instagram @Wildforwheels @k5_klub @c10university

Profile pic provided by Jeff Sundance
wild4wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:00 PM   #10
72k5zl1

looks great!
72k5zl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:00 AM   #11
Mulk

Thanks everyone for the support and kind words...

Today was one of those days. Didn't really get any thing I started finished. Frustrating to say the least.

I blew apart the front suspension, cleaned and painted a few of the parts. I then started mocking-up the 'bags, and didn't like the lower mounts. They take up too much space, and the 'bag rubbed when it was compressed. I'm just gonna build some cups tomorrow after work.

So I moved on to mounting to headers. Drivers side.... No problem. Went together with ease. Passenger side was a different story. I'm gonna have to clearance the frame, and a small "wing" portion of the trans housing on the 400. Wasn't in the mood for that.....

Moved-on to installing new alternator, and of course, nothing lines-up. So now I'll need to massage the brackets so the belts are aligned.

So.... It wasn't a perfect day. But any day spent wrenchin' in the garage, beats a day at work. And on the positive side... I'm half-way done with three projects
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 06-08-2011, 09:08 PM   #12
Mulk

I got a little more accomplished over the past week, but it was in between family being in town for my daughters big "Pre-China Tour" orchestra performance.

More parts keep arriving daily, so it's hard to keep focussed on what needs to get done. But I was able to get the front pretty much squared away to my liking. I never planned to lay frame, just wanted to get closer to the earth. So I'm happy with the front, and I'm about to get everything bolted into place. I decided against the lower mounting "plates" and made some cups to fill the lower spring pocket. Unfortunately I didn't take photo prior to mock-up, but I'll post some when I take everything back apart.

Oh yeah. My wheels showed-up. Keeping this beast 8 Lug has allowed me to take this in a whole new territory, venturing into the off-road world.....

Fronts are 20x8.5 and rears are 22x9.5

I was also able to get the new radiator and flex-a-lite fans installed. I had to narrow the radiator mounts, but it went in like a charm...

Slowly but surely, one piece at a time, and it'll get there

Old 06-08-2011, 10:13 PM   #13
vectorit
What?

Awesome!
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:53 AM   #14
67chevy1series

ww looks cool! i like the new wheels and the steelies about the same... and i really like the steelies!
Old 11-26-2011, 06:02 AM   #15
19Hoosierdaddies68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulk View Post
I got a little more accomplished over the past week, but it was in between family being in town for my daughters big "Pre-China Tour" orchestra performance.

More parts keep arriving daily, so it's hard to keep focussed on what needs to get done. But I was able to get the front pretty much squared away to my liking. I never planned to lay frame, just wanted to get closer to the earth. So I'm happy with the front, and I'm about to get everything bolted into place. I decided against the lower mounting "plates" and made some cups to fill the lower spring pocket. Unfortunately I didn't take photo prior to mock-up, but I'll post some when I take everything back apart.

Oh yeah. My wheels showed-up. Keeping this beast 8 Lug has allowed me to take this in a whole new territory, venturing into the off-road world.....

Fronts are 20x8.5 and rears are 22x9.5

I was also able to get the new radiator and flex-a-lite fans installed. I had to narrow the radiator mounts, but it went in like a charm...

Slowly but surely, one piece at a time, and it'll get there
Hey Mulk,

I was wondering if you could share the back spacing on these rims?

Fronts are 20x8.5 =
rears are 22x9.5 =

I don't have a Suburban but am planning to keep my C-20 8 Lug as well and get it low. Not sure if I will go aftermarket rims but would like to check out my options. I think I am starting with a 5/5 static drop and eventually bags too.

Thanks,

Jerry
19Hoosierdaddies68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:27 PM   #16
Mulk

No major changes over that passed couple weeks.... I was forced to enjoy 10 days in a beach house on the Florida Gulf Coast

But I just had to post this photo to get me motivated to work on it in this Vegas heat...

Old 07-22-2011, 11:21 PM   #17
bruin_d

I love those wheels!
bruin_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:44 PM   #18
Mulk

A few month back I was reading the "Camaro Tach Upgrade" in the electrical section, and decided to order one. So I found my self on eBay, bought a tach for $19, with no real idea when or if I'd ever tackle to upgrade.

Well in case you didn't know, it's HOT in Vegas this time of year. Plus, I just got a bunch more tattoo work done on my back, and didn't feel the need to climb under the Burb today. But I did see that tach laying on the bench, and decided today was a perfect day to experiment, and here's my story......

After clearing a spot on the dining room table (right under a/c vent), I layed out my arsenal of small tools, and blew apart the cluster.

To clean off the paint paint line on lense of the center opening where the tach will find its new home, I soaked the area with mineral spirits. Once the bond was losened, I used a plastic spoon (high tech) to remove paint without scraatching the lense.

I then cut the opening in the black bezel, with a set of tin-snips, just being careful to follow the bevelled lip chevy had already provided. The edge is hidden, so those little teeth marks aren't an issue.

I layed the bezel section back in place, and trimmed the upper and lower edge of the tach face so it would fit in place without any issues. Not pretty, but then again, it's not gonna be visible.

To be continued......

Old 07-25-2011, 12:07 AM   #19
Mulk

Continuing.....

I got the tach positioned, marked the placement, and used some flashing tape to hold it in place. That stuff sticks to everything, and isn't affected by the heat... In case you missed the portion.... It gets hot here. I also taped the red "oil" light lense in place just to fill the void (looks official from front). I rotated these shots before I attached them, but......

Now here's where I went in my own direction from the instruction in the electrical section. I didn't feel like taking the tach apart, and moving the circuit board. I just opened-up a hole in the backing plate.

I then used the backing plate that came with the tach, cut it to size, and used to to fill the hole, and support the tach

Two sheet metal screws hold everything nicely in place.

I know. Now how is the dash circuit sheet gonna clear those posts? A few simple relief-cuts with the razor blade, and problem solved.

^^^^Anybody catch those two turn-signal light tubes sitting on the whole assembled cluster ^^^^

Ya.... Me niether

Well here's the finished product... Not to bad. I just hope I got a working tach off of eBay

Old 07-25-2011, 12:09 AM   #20
Mulk

Now that I'm done..... What does this wire conect to? It was just floating when I pulled the cluster.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:33 AM   #21
67chevy1series

i dont know about the wire but the burb looks awesome the gauges look great and after all that work some nice comedy thats funny i remember when i did that one time lol it really sucks!
Old 07-25-2011, 06:00 AM   #22
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulk View Post
Now that I'm done..... What does this wire conect to? It was just floating when I pulled the cluster.
I think its the fiber optic cable that goes to the shift indicator on the top of the column...

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:49 AM   #23
Mulk

Thanks guys, I appreciate you checking-out my build, and the help and encouragement along the way.

Rich - the fiber optic idea makes sence. It had a Flaming River column in it when I got it (weird custom mod to do, with nothing else really changed) and it has it's own light source

Rick - glad you enjoyed the comedy. My life is a swirl of sarcasm, so I like sharing my mishaps and adventures along the way. Also, I think I'm gonna run the trim, and use the body-clips to hold it all on. The trim is in decent shape, other than a few holes prom where the prior owner screwed the trim back on. I think I'm gonna scotch bright all of it, and go with a stainless look
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 07-25-2011, 04:46 AM   #24
project 67 sub
Account Suspended

super sick, i plan on running an off road style wheel on mine as well, it will be the black kmc rockstars
project 67 sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:47 PM   #25
Mulk

Was looking forward to 2 solid days of working on the 8-Lugger. Yesterday was pretty productive until I found a blown oil seal on the right rear hub. Not a huge setback. Was still able to clearance crossmember and floor, for the pumpkin.

Figured I'd start today by getting the seal, and finishing-up that side of the axle......

Well here I am, my second trip to Napa (since I provided wrong part number) waiting for correct seal to make it's treck across the Vegas valley. Temp is rising, and motivation is dropping. But I won't be deterred. Rear bags WILL be finalized before I quit today!
Posted via Mobile Device