The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-11-2021, 06:27 PM   #76
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Re: Share your little know fact ..Here is mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post
I guess it would depend on what the magnet is made of. I see a lot of microwave safe stuff these days that sure look like metal to me. But it works just fine. Somebody figured something out.

I remember not paying attention and putting leftovers wrapped in foil in a microwave.

This is not a good idea. Don't try this at home kids...Unless you want to see a fireworks show.
Way back, when I was a kid and microwave ovens were new and expensive, the only place you would see them was the 7-11. They didn't have a timer dial, just numbers. You would pull your frozen whatever out of the freezer and the package would have the correct number printed on it. Throw it in, hit the number and wait. Until us dumbass kids figured out the bit about the metal. The little liquid creamer cups had a paper peel-off lid, that had foil on the sealing surface. Metal and paper together in the microwave? Yup, Fire
The dumb stuff that you think is funny as a kid.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 06:36 AM   #77
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
Way back, when I was a kid and microwave ovens were new and expensive, the only place you would see them was the 7-11. They didn't have a timer dial, just numbers. You would pull your frozen whatever out of the freezer and the package would have the correct number printed on it. Throw it in, hit the number and wait. Until us dumbass kids figured out the bit about the metal. The little liquid creamer cups had a paper peel-off lid, that had foil on the sealing surface. Metal and paper together in the microwave? Yup, Fire
Living out in the country I visited 7-11 not very much ,,thats interesting LH .shame on us for our goofy things we did, ha ha
We had one of the first Micro Waves and it was a Sharp and it held the patton on the turn table for 7 years before other brands could make them with the turn table ..
Old 08-12-2021, 09:28 AM   #78
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I remember those 7-11 microwaves. They were the WORST! They would either undercook your food or it would explode in the oven.

There was always dried up crud in them from when someones burrito would detonate inside and splatter refried beans all over.

We were one of the first families on our block to get a microwave. It was expensive but my mother hated to cook so much that she wanted a microwave and she got one. From then on my brothers and myself cooked for ourselves. I found out the hard way that hot dogs didn't microwave well.

It's funny. My mother was really a good cook. She just wouldn't do it. As a girl she would have to cook my grandfathers meals and she said that he was a "Tyrant' Everything had to be perfect. So when she got married and moved out she no longer cooked.

She was also a great Pianist. I never knew that until her later years. We never had a piano in the house and she never spoke of it. Again my grandfather made her learn piano and she never played again.

My parents were very tight lipped. My father never talked about his time in the war and my mother never talked about her childhood. But I don't think either one of them had it easy.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 05:23 PM   #79
LONGHAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
Living out in the country I visited 7-11 not very much ,,thats interesting LH .shame on us for our goofy things we did, ha ha
We had one of the first Micro Waves and it was a Sharp and it held the patton on the turn table for 7 years before other brands could make them with the turn table ..
We had one on the corner about 1/4 mile south of the house. It was put in sometime in the early 70s. Us neighbor kids used to ride out bikes in that empty lot before it was built, well before they all had gas pumps. People used to buy gasoline from "branded" stations, who actually worked on cars too.
It got gas several years later, then when 7-11 pulled out of this area, it became a UDF and still is today.
My maternal grandmother had the first one I ever saw in a house. Hers was an "Amana Radar Range". I guess it was stupid expensive and I remember it being well underpowered in comparison to the cheapest thing you can buy anywhere nowadays.

Quote:
I remember those 7-11 microwaves. They were the WORST! They would either undercook your food or it would explode in the oven.

There was always dried up crud in them from when someones burrito would detonate inside and splatter refried beans all over.

We were one of the first families on our block to get a microwave. It was expensive but my mother hated to cook so much that she wanted a microwave and she got one. From then on my brothers and myself cooked for ourselves. I found out the hard way that hot dogs didn't microwave well.

It's funny. My mother was really a good cook. She just wouldn't do it. As a girl she would have to cook my grandfathers meals and she said that he was a "Tyrant' Everything had to be perfect. So when she got married and moved out she no longer cooked.

She was also a great Pianist. I never knew that until her later years. We never had a piano in the house and she never spoke of it. Again my grandfather made her learn piano and she never played again.

My parents were very tight lipped. My father never talked about his time in the war and my mother never talked about her childhood. But I don't think either one of them had it easy.
We never had one while I still lived at home. A few months after I got moved out they did get one, but it was really only a coffee or canned soup re-heater.
My dad was a chef and didn't see that as "cooking" at all.

I think most of the people of the generation before us boomers had life at lot harder in general. Most of them were permanently scarred by the depression and WWII and life just took more "work" than it does now. Much of what has made life easier was created/pioneered by those folks.

My Ex's mother literally grew up in a "holler" in West Virginia, where the kids had to bring water up the hill to the house from the well down the road. She was the youngest girl of 9, with one brother younger than her. She is still around and lives on her own and will be 91 in December.

Quote:
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
Old 08-12-2021, 07:21 PM   #80
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

People did have it rough back then. I know my dad did. His dad died when he was 9 years old and my grandmother had to work full time as a nurse to feed 4 kids. He was pretty much raised by his oldest sister and she wasn't a nice person. I'm sure it wasn't easy for her raising 3 younger siblings when she was just a teenager. But she was a mean old bag even when I was a kid. She still said mean things to my dad and my other aunt. My uncle had died long before I was born. I don't know what happened to him. Nobody talked about it. Nobody talked about anything.
I do know that my aunt left my dad on the side of the road when he was maybe 11 years old and said that they couldn't afford him anymore.
The police had to bring him back when they found him wandering around lost.

My other aunt was a sweetheart. But very withdrawn. She would barely speak and wouldn't be photographed. I think a lot went down when they were kids. And they didn't want to talk about it.

I remember as a teenager, stumbling into the house in the wee hours of the morning. Higher than a kite and my dad would be waiting up for me. He would always say the same thing. "I'm just glad that you made it home'. And he would go to bed. He understood something that I didn't at the time. He knew the feeling. That I was running away from a reality that I didn't like.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 08-12-2021, 07:41 PM   #81
GOPAPA

Paul.. I read this and felt for you at the time that this was happening to you ,,believe me,, and,,, thank goodness what I read on here all that you post about these days in your life ,,,,seems you got it pretty good . I think you have bettered your life much since them days ,,just something not a lot of guys can do.. and now you have me for one in awe at what all you do have ,, I don't mean your wife as I have a good one . Sounds like you got a good one .. I got an old car ,but would still like to have a couple of yours.. I'm pround that you are what you are now..
Old 08-12-2021, 11:49 PM   #82
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Paul.. I read this and felt for you at the time that this was happening to you ,,believe me,, and,,, thank goodness what I read on here all that you post about these days in your life ,,,,seems you got it pretty good . I think you have bettered your life much since them days ,,just something not a lot of guys can do.. and now you have me for one in awe at what all you do have ,, I don't mean your wife as I have a good one . Sounds like you got a good one .. I got an old car ,but would still like to have a couple of yours.. I'm pround that you are what you are now..
Thanks for the kind words. I suppose that I am lucky. I have a lot of friends that didn't make it out. I haven't taken drugs in 35+ years. And it wasn't rehab or jail that did it for me. It was just me saying to myself "No more' That I was done. I was on the road to nowhere. My girlfriend left me. She didn't tell me to stop. She just said goodbye. And she didn't come back. I was a mess and she left. I really can't blame her.

I see young kids going down that path and I'd like to shake them and say " knock it off'. But I know they won't listen. I never did. Until the voices came from inside my own head. I couldn't tune those out.

I still drink light beer. But not much. It puts me to sleep. I'm an old fuddy duddy.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 08-13-2021, 10:27 AM   #83
Sheepdip

Quote:

I still drink light beer. But not much. It puts me to sleep. I'm an old fuddy duddy.
Try this Paul, I love beer but never cared for the alcohol that came with it.
I've been drinking this Heineken 0.0 since it got to the U.S and it really does taste very good like a beer should and won't put you to sleep, and only 70 calories a bottle/can.

BevMo is the only place I can find it.

https://www.esquire.com/food-drink/d...January%202019.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 08:47 PM   #84
GOPAPA

The F key and the J key have small bumps on them of your key board

If you practice 10-finger typing, you can use “F” and “J” keys as the home keys, on which your index fingers rest.
Old 08-13-2021, 09:56 PM   #85
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

The reason we have the "QWERTY" keyboard is because on old typewriters, the rate at which people could hit the keys was faster than they could go up, hit the ribbon and return, before the next keys came up. That was an engineering design decision based on that technology. A guy named Dvorak came up with an optimized keyboard, and...

found that it took an average of only 52 hours of retraining for those typists' speeds on the Dvorak keyboard to reach their average speeds on the qwerty keyboard. By the end of the study their Dvorak speeds were 74 percent faster than their qwerty speeds, and their accuracies had increased by 68 percent.

If people were trained and used the Dvorak Simplified Keyboard in the first place, we could dodge that retraining, and make incorrect posts even faster on the internet.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 12:42 AM   #86
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

The spice Nutmeg can be toxic if you eat enough.

Nutmeg contains a toxin called myristicin. The small amount of nutmeg used in recipes is very unlikely to cause serious toxicity, though mild stomach upset could occur if a small amount is ingested. If a very large amount of nutmeg is ingested, myristicin toxicity can cause symptoms including hallucinations, disorientation, increased heart rate, high blood pressure, dry mouth, abdominal pain, and possibly seizures. Symptoms can last up to 48 hours.

I always wondered why my ex wife would make me pumpkin pie and not eat any.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 08-14-2021, 08:53 AM   #87
LONGHAIR

To expand on that, Cashews are also toxic. When they are fresh/raw even touching them can produce a rash much like poison ivy, to those who are are react to it. It is even worse when eaten. Simple cooking, steaming/frying/roasting etc destroy the toxin. Urushiol

Quote:

Old 08-14-2021, 09:17 AM   #88
Warrens69GMC

Gm Never had a production 4-bolt main 327

The Chevy Corvette was not made in the 1983 Model year (labeled as a 1982, for the C3 to C4 transition)

You could get a 305 in a Corvette, 80-81 (California)
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 12:34 PM   #89
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrens69GMC View Post
Gm Never had a production 4-bolt main 327

The Chevy Corvette was not made in the 1983 Model year (labeled as a 1982, for the C3 to C4 transition)

The One And Only 1983 Corvette on display at the National Corvette Museum is in Bowling Green, Kentucky.
Old 08-14-2021, 03:31 PM   #90
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrens69GMC View Post

Might as well get a 305. The 350's that they put in them were smog choked dogs.

I had a 76 and an 81 and I would lose races to mopeds with fat chicks riding them.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 08-14-2021, 04:32 PM   #91
GOPAPA

Quote:
Might as well get a 305. The 350's that they put in them were smog choked dogs.

I had a 76 and an 81 and I would lose races to mopeds with fat chicks riding them.
fat chicks he he

My 76 Vette I bought second hand ,I bought from its home place in Colville Washington .. I was about to buy one from California but knew it had much more smog stuff on due to California . I had no cute fat chick to haul around but either way them 350's would do pretty good doing so..

Last edited by GOPAPA; 08-14-2021 at 05:19 PM.
GOPAPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 05:22 PM   #92
LONGHAIR

Quote:
The One And Only 1983 Corvette on display at the National Corvette Museum is in Bowling Green, Kentucky.
Yeah, that one is all about the wording. None were officially made/sold for the '83 model year, but that one in the museum was never actually titled either, it is (or at least was) owned by GM corporate. I would imagine it still is? and just "on loan" to the museum?

The early 80s were bad times for any and all performance vehicles. It was a dirty word back then. Fuel mileage and emissions were the thing and they didn't have a damn clue about how to do either. Tiny, underpowered motors with high gear ratios and overdrive transmissions made for lousy performance and drivability and didn't do much for mileage. Until electronic fuel injection came along, it just wasn't gonna happen, but even then the first few years they still kept up with the gear ratio foolishness.
I remember a single-cab dually (imagine that today) that belonged to the company where I worked. I'm not sure of the year anymore but it was the '88 -up pointed nose body style. That thing would roll down the road at 60+ mph and only rev about 1400 rpm. In a 1 ton truck? It was a gutless pig on the highway especially with the 24' enclosed trailer we made deliveries with. Those were the ones that would constantly shift in-out of OD when the cruise control was running on the highway. Not enough power to stay in OD but revved too high for it's sensibilities in 3rd.
I also remember a friend's dad's truck (early 80s Chevy 4x4) that had 2.56-1 gears. I know what they were because I replaced them for him. It was an expensive PITA because it required new carriers too, because of that ratio. To be fair, it needed a rear anyway because the Gov-Loc exploded.
Why did it take them so long to figure this out?

Quote:

Old 08-17-2021, 05:54 AM   #93
special-K
Special Order

I guess if there were no 4-bolt 327s then the '68 SS350 Camaro and Z/28 302 were 2-bolt? I know they used the same block as the truck 327 that year.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 07:09 AM   #94
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I guess if there were no 4-bolt 327s then the '68 SS350 Camaro and Z/28 302 were 2-bolt? I know they used the same block as the truck 327 that year.
In 68 the 302 wouldn't be a different casting than the 327? Wow I didn't know that, check it out - http://www.camaros.org/drivetrain.shtml#BlockCast

Last edited by The Rocknrod; 08-17-2021 at 07:22 AM.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 06:22 PM   #95
special-K
Special Order

I'm a bit rusty on it but that how I remember it. These are large journal. That's the difference.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 08-17-2021, 09:32 PM   #96
Warrens69GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I'm a bit rusty on it but that how I remember it. These are large journal. That's the difference.
Early 265-327 were small journal
267-305-307-327-350 from 1968+ were medium journal
and 400 SBC were large journal
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 05:05 AM   #97
special-K
Special Order

Never heard that before, but I believe you. It does seem odd no one knows there are three journal size ranges. I say no one because surely in all my years of interest in Chevy small blocks I would have heard that before. I have always heard the last 327s referred to as large journal, meaning same as 350. I have only ever known of there being the early SBCs with small journal and when the 350 came out, large journal. I never took that to mean they all mic exactly the same, just a general size difference

Tim

Old 08-19-2021, 04:55 PM   #98
Big Kev-O

When the first LS engines came out they only used one part from the SBC, the connecting rod bearings.
Old 08-19-2021, 05:12 PM   #99
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

When you de-stroke a SBC 400 to 383, the 350 journals are smaller, that's why the main bearing shells are so thick.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 05:34 PM   #100
lousyflyer

This used to work but I'm not sure if it still does as youtube may have corrected the oversight...
If you go to the address bar of a youtube video and add a period at the end of the address the video will run without commercials.
lousyflyer is offline   Reply With Quote