The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-17-2022, 09:10 PM   #1
mr.mud1

Nova Scotia Christmas Tree heading to Boston,Mass

a couple days ago,a 45 foot white spruce tree was cut down on Christmas Island,Cape Breton,Nova Scotia for the 51st annual Christmas Tree from the people of Nova Scotia for the people of Boston and it will be set up on the Boston Common and lit on December 1st i believe.the tree will be leaving here in a couple of days for Boston.it's how we have said thanks to the people of Boston for the assistance they provided,sending a train with medical supplies,Doctors and Nurses to help the people of Halifax,Nova Scotia in 1917 immediately after The Halifax Explosion.the largest man made explosion in history til the bomb was dropped on Japan.2 ships in Halifax Harbour collided,one was a relief ship heading to Europe,the other full of ammunition.2000 people were killed and thousands more injured.the city was demolished.windows in Truro,Nova Scotia,60 miles away were broken and 120 miles away in Amherst,Nova Scotia,the blast was heard.a dark day in our history.Thanks Boston.
mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 10:32 PM   #2
davischevy

Re: Nova Scotia Christmas Tree heading to Boston,Mass

Interesting history lesson. Thanks.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 11:09 PM   #3
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
Interesting history lesson. Thanks.
yes sir,very interesting and sad too.happy to share.take care.
Old 11-18-2022, 07:08 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

This is a comfort to knowing. Thanks for sharing. This is what humanity does when it's properly functioning. People rushing to aid those in peril without hesitation and those never forgetting and forever showing appreciation. Lots of history in Cape Breton going way back.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 11:23 PM   #5
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
This is a comfort to knowing. Thanks for sharing. This is what humanity does when it's properly functioning. People rushing to aid those in peril without hesitation and those never forgetting and forever showing appreciation. Lots of history in Cape Breton going way back.
you're exactly right.folks looking after folks.the way it should be.
Old 11-19-2022, 12:31 PM   #6
dagnabbitt

Every Canadian kid of a certain age - like myself - grew up with these little history lessons on the CBC during commercial breaks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw-FbwmzPKo
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 09:06 PM   #7
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagnabbitt View Post
Every Canadian kid of a certain age - like myself - grew up with these little history lessons on the CBC during commercial breaks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw-FbwmzPKo
yes sir,i hadn't seen that clip in years.thanks for putting it on.after i watched it,another clip came up from thehistoryguy.com and a story about "the Halifax Explosion and the Boston Christmas tree" very informative and interesting.i didn't know til i just watched his clip,that a U.S Navy ship,the U.S.S Tacoma came into the harbour to help and turn itself into a floating hospital and a second train left from Boston a few days after the first Boston train.this train was loaded with trucks,fuel,building supplies,furnishings and on and on.tremendous help when it was badly needed along with trains from Montreal,Toronto and other places all loaded with help.here's a bent cannon from the Mont Blanc,the ammunution ship,sitting on a street corner several miles from the harbour in Dartmouth,Nova Scotia,just across from Halifax, about where it landed.
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2022, 09:41 PM   #8
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

I think you brought this to our attention about this time last year, or perhaps I saw it somewhere else. In any event, a reminder of kindness and assistance between any two entities, be it cities or countries, is welcome! Thanks for bringing it!

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 11:34 PM   #9
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
I think you brought this to our attention about this time last year, or perhaps I saw it somewhere else. In any event, a reminder of kindness and assistance between any two entities, be it cities or countries, is welcome! Thanks for bringing it!
thank you sir.i do remember talking about the Halifax Explosion a while ago?i can't imagine what those poor folks went through but the help poured in.people helping people.never forget.the way it should be.take care.Greg
Old 11-20-2022, 11:35 PM   #10
1976gmc20

Quote:
here's a bent cannon from the Mont Blanc,the ammunution ship,sitting on a street corner several miles from the harbour in Dartmouth,Nova Scotia,just across from Halifax, about where it landed.
The "muzzle velocity" was way too fast
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 08:01 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

Until Hiroshima it was the largest man-made explosion in history. Imagine what it took to send that chunk of iron that far. Incredible

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 10:10 AM   #12
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Until Hiroshima it was the largest man-made explosion in history. Imagine what it took to send that chunk of iron that far. Incredible
yes sir,a terrible day.there were pieces of ships and all kinds of wreckage falling out of the sky.people were killed in their homes.a fella can't even imagine the devastation.i lived inHalifax for about 40 years before we moved to this little village my dad was born in.even a 100 years later,it's still a big deal,i remember a few years ago on or around the 100th anniversary,there was an old lady,a survivor of the blast,she was only a newborn on the day of the explosion,i remember seeing her on the news from the ceremony at the Halifax Explosion Memorial Bell Tower,she said that 33 people in her family,Aunts Uncles Brothers and sisters and so on,all killed or injured.unreal.