The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2021, 12:17 PM   #26
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Re: Who makes a decent seat belt that fits our old trucks??

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJC View Post
Okay, so your main problem is the bracket being cantilever? Now I can see where you are coming from. I got my seat belts from Morris Classic Concepts. Which like the other kits above have a bracket that moves the mount hole forward, cantilevering it as you have mentioned. If I wanted to get rid of the brackets I would order new seat belt anchor plates to move the mount holes forward. Which probably would be the right way of doing it.

Now I have been happy with the seat belt setup. They lock up in a panic stop and keep you from flying forward and I do feel better using it over just a lap belt.
I too have the Morris Classic Concepts, which I got a set of one of the last "GM" buckles. Though I wished they were blue GM

Anyways, I have been happy with them but they do lock easily. I am used to it (mostly) but new riders do get frustrated. I hope the site is true to their word and testing that these are safe but I have wondered about the "cantilever" (which is a new word I just learned). I suppose the question is, is the below statement just the seatbelt on some test rig or installed with the in our application with the cantilever bracket? I suppose if I come up dead after a wreck, I guess we'll know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Classic Concepts
Our seat belt sets are pull-tested to 3,000 pounds of force weekly to ensure their quality and compliance with the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS). However, our seat belts exceed this 3,000 pound standard by more than 20%.

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Old 10-31-2021, 03:47 PM   #27
RustyPile

It seems all the vendors selling belts/harness with a retractor small enough to fit have that cantilever bracket.. $340.00 for a belt set is a bit of a "gouge" when several others sell the same setup for less than $200.00. I located and purchased a set from one of those cheaper suppliers.. I plan to eliminate that cantilever bracket and fabricate brackets with a 3 bolt attachment arrangement.. I'll also fabricate a re-enforcement plate for the underside.. I'll mount the bracket against the floor with a slot in the carpet for the upright portion of the bracket..

A cantilever is strong longitudinally but very weak laterally. The longer the distance between the mounting point and the load point, the weaker it is. For those of you who think that cantilever seat belt bracket is a strong design as applied, bolt it to an empty SBC engine block.. Using an engine hoist, lift the block about four feet from the floor.. quickly open, then quickly close the valve on the hoist.. This simulates how a seat belt works in a collision.. The vehicle is moving forward, then brought to a sudden stop in a collision. Inertia carries the human body forward and the seat belt's job is to stop that forward motion.. The engine block simulates the weight of a body.. That bracket WILL fail..
Old 10-31-2021, 04:11 PM   #28
jimijam00

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPile View Post
A cantilever is strong longitudinally but very weak laterally. The longer the distance between the mounting point and the load point, the weaker it is. For those of you who think that cantilever seat belt bracket is a strong design as applied, bolt it to an empty SBC engine block.. Using an engine hoist, lift the block about four feet from the floor.. quickly open, then quickly close the valve on the hoist.. This simulates how a seat belt works in a collision.. The vehicle is moving forward, then brought to a sudden stop in a collision. Inertia carries the human body forward and the seat belt's job is to stop that forward motion.. The engine block simulates the weight of a body.. That bracket WILL fail..
Okay, sure.

Last edited by jimijam00; 10-31-2021 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-31-2021, 04:18 PM   #29
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimijam00 View Post
Okay, sure.
It's plain to see you're not an engineer.. But that's OK.. You probably have other good attributes..
Old 11-01-2021, 11:18 AM   #30
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Closed per OP request.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
Closed Thread