The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-20-2016, 03:43 PM   #1
Valarius_Starchaser

Re: Project Orange Crush (57 3100)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptc View Post
VAL, not being critical EVER, just trying to help make it easier for you to do good welds and less work.... 2-3 passes is not quick work for sheetmetal, it should be one pass, grind and clean up, done. My only comment was that if your 'pool' of weld has a bunch of crud in it (from the flux or any contaminates or overheat) it will make more work for you.

There are a multitude of videos on Utube that show correct welding techniques and troubleshooting welds with flux core welders, take a look if you want.

just trying to help buddy!
Well if your just doing one pass then by all means learn me! I'm tired of grinding welding grinding welding...... AGHHHHHHH

On this jamb its thick enough I'm comfortable running a bead but on thin stuff I was always told to just tac and move around (and I did out of muscle memory) so how will I ever get a solid weld by tacing around like that?
Old 05-20-2016, 03:54 PM   #2
ptc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valarius_Starchaser View Post
Well if your just doing one pass then by all means learn me! I'm tired of grinding welding grinding welding...... AGHHHHHHH

On this jamb its thick enough I'm comfortable running a bead but on thin stuff I was always told to just tac and move around (and I did out of muscle memory) so how will I ever get a solid weld by tacing around like that?
On the sheetmetal (16-22 ga) you do have to 'tac'.... try doing just a quick CLICK on the trigger for your tacs and not a big blast.... do this around the panel piece a few times and then start 'stitching' between the tacs. CLEAN BEFORE the next lap around.... very critical!

BUT- take a break between rounds so the piece COOLS... if you cant touch it with your bare hand then its too hot still....

hope that helps!
Old 05-20-2016, 05:01 PM   #3
lower50's

Definitely don't be nervous about showing your welds. That is how we learn from each other. The fact that you are building something that many ppl would only dream of is great and when you are done it will be 100% your sweet ride. I have always wondered about car shows like Overhaulin ect. when they spend all there time on motor, stereo and paint, what do they look like underneath? Keep up the good work!!
1967 Jeep CJ5 1.9L TDI 33X13.5X15 Mud Grapplers.
1952 GMC 9700 p/u 7.3L diesel on air, dually
lower50's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 05:46 PM   #4
joedoh

I am not a nit picker, I like strong over pretty although there are some guys who can do both easily.

I have learned to be open to criticism, most guys want to help! Mark PMd me and said my motor mount looked crooked on the drivers side, I checked and he was right!

Never understood guys who got their nose out of joint because they said "how does it look?" and someone said "do this and it will look better". its the facebook constant approbation generation I guess, "only tell me what I want to hear".

anyway, get that firewall started! I have heard of guys using a wheelbarrow but never have seen it.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 06:17 PM   #5
ptc

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
anyway, get that firewall started! I have heard of guys using a wheelbarrow but never have seen it.

55 Chevy Dave has done it already and did a fine job - Val check out his work for some tips.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...654899&page=10

Also joedoh, I just did it on mine you can see some pics on my last page