The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2014, 07:21 PM   #1
outlaw17

Power steering pump?

Does the power steering pump on a small block have different mounts if it's a long or a short water pump? My plan was to use the original long water pump in the 68 I'm doing but the A/C comp and alternator brkt are both for short water pumps, I ordered for long but ended up with short, so I'm thinking the easiest thing may be to just go with a short pump, only problem I'm having is that I'm not sure how the P/S pump will line up. I ordered a Vintage air Gen IV system with a pass side compressor mount so the hoses would be nice and short and direct but this is biting me in the ass. Anything you guys can help me with would be great.
Attached Images

outlaw17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:33 PM   #2
swamp rat

Re: Power steering pump?

The 68 would not have a long water pump origionally so its probably not a stock engine, or somebody changed out all the brackets and water pump before you bought it..

The steering pump runs direct off the crank pully so if the pully's on both the crank and pump line up then i wouldn't be concerned about that mount..

As far as i know i think the crank pully's are different for a long and short pump engine setups, all you can do is to try mounting everything else up including a short water pump and see if everything lines up, or return the brackets and let them know its for a long water pump engine.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:45 PM   #3
jmking9

I'm pretty sure they will be different. You could either find an original style bracket for a short w.p. or here are a couple of other options: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mc...FQyFaQodCysAfg
or: http://www.cvfracing.com/Chevy-Small...BRKT_d_C_d_SWP
Old 11-24-2014, 02:14 AM   #4
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw17 View Post
Does the power steering pump on a small block have different mounts if it's a long or a short water pump? My plan was to use the original long water pump in the 68 I'm doing but the A/C comp and alternator brkt are both for short water pumps, I ordered for long but ended up with short, so I'm thinking the easiest thing may be to just go with a short pump, only problem I'm having is that I'm not sure how the P/S pump will line up. I ordered a Vintage air Gen IV system with a pass side compressor mount so the hoses would be nice and short and direct but this is biting me in the ass. Anything you guys can help me with would be great.
I'm thinking you simply need the p/s brackets for the short water pump. The long water pump p/s brackets don't work well with headers anyway although they can be worked with.

I like the March one jmking9 suggested but you would need a pulley for that just like the other one would need plus you need the lower crank pulley for the short water pump, and it needs to be the 3 groove type.
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 03:38 AM   #5
Kenfuzed

I bought my brackets from Bills Hot Rod Company. He specializes in brackets for SB chevy's mostly for street rods but they are universal. It also helped that they his shop is down the street from me so it was convenient. I'm not sure if he'll ship to you in Canada but it's worth a try.

http://www.billshotrodcompany.com/673/715.html

Ken's 1966 C10 build "Red Ale"
Follow on Instgram: @cv_performance
https://instagram.com/cv_performance
Harley Performance Parts: CV Performance (Harley related)
Enjoying the ride!
Kenfuzed is offline   Reply With Quote