The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-22-2014, 08:04 PM   #51
Possmguts

Re: 69 Camaro front valance and spoiler on a 67 c10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorpioskorpio View Post
Strangely reminiscent of an old 442 hood.
I dont care for the "looks badly added" look, but I like the concept. If it was cleaner and didnt look like an after thought it would be tits
Possmguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:31 PM   #52
no1udknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possmguts View Post
This would surly get the air in there ... notice the front of the hood as well as the fenders...
I don't know about a 67 lower vallance, but the one in that rendering looks like the lower air dam from a 3rd gen rs. I had a 92 rs 25th anniversary ed. It had nice ground effects all around.

My build : 68 C10 Short Bed Conversion
no1udknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:52 PM   #53
Possmguts

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1udknow View Post
I don't know about a 67 lower vallance, but the one in that rendering looks like the lower air dam from a 3rd gen rs. I had a 92 rs 25th anniversary ed. It had nice ground effects all around.

yeah.. we got off subject from the 69 Camaro valance for a bit... but thats still what Im going to go with.

67 Short Bed under major construction
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=651356&page=8
Old 11-22-2014, 11:22 PM   #54
Andy4639
Old member

Question Re: 69 Camaro front valance and spoiler on a 67 c10?

Well I like the hood and the function it serves. After thought? Huh... I don't know why you think that. That truck was built for one thing and that was to go fast and take curves. The truck can handle it's own against most stock vetts! Going straight are on a road course.
How about this one.
This is Rob's of 'No Limit's' Hellboy and it is one bad truck and it happens to be of our own years also. By the way both of these trucks are members on here and vendors.
I'm sure either one would help you get the hood are the spoilers.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.

Last edited by Andy4639; 11-22-2014 at 11:31 PM.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:02 AM   #55
Possmguts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Well I like the hood and the function it serves. After thought? Huh... I don't know why you think that. That truck was built for one thing and that was to go fast and take curves. The truck can handle it's own against most stock vetts! Going straight are on a road course.
How about this one.
This is Rob's of 'No Limit's' Hellboy and it is one bad truck and it happens to be of our own years also. By the way both of these trucks are members on here and vendors.

I LIKE the functionality of the CF Hood, I dont care for how the snorkels dont have a seamless look is all. It looks to me like the holes was cut and the inserts were just slid into place.

Old 11-23-2014, 03:59 PM   #56
skorpioskorpio

Quote:
How about this one.

The function you speak of is? As far as getting air into the engine, it probably doesn't really do that very well, there is a reason why forward facing front edge scoops on hoods are pretty much absent from racing after about 1970 on full bodied cars, they are just not very effective. Looks cool, and looks like it should work well, but they really don't, not by themselves. Modern race and supercar ducting will almost always provide a defined exit path for what ever air is sucked into a duct and that exit path will have some means of producing a low pressure area over it to pull air through the duct.

As far as lightness, the gain from going from steel to fiberglass will drop the weight of the hood by half, carbon fiber will drop the weight maybe 10-20% from fiberglass, so it's diminishing gains from exponential prices, fiberglass is hundreds, carbon is thousands. carbon is sexy and it's high tech, but an aluminum radiator will shed more weight than a carbon hood if you've already gone fiberglass, just sayin'.

Robs Hellboy is really a race truck, lots more going on with that truck than a couple body mods and some suspension tweaks, there is a build thread of it around here somewhere. These truck, done right, can handle really well, despite the pretty terrible aerodynamics, because they are very wide it makes them really stable. A Blazer has the same wheelbase as a C6 'Vette but it's 6 inches wider.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 05:26 PM   #57
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: 69 Camaro front valance and spoiler on a 67 c10?

I only brought it up because you all mentioned the hoods. Yes both the said trucks are proven race trucks. I'm sure they have more in their wheel's than I have in my whole truck.

One of my favorite pictures of Hellboy!

Here is another Optima challenge truck it looks a lot like the drawing. This one was the one I was looking for to begin with.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:06 PM   #58
Possmguts

Quote:
The function you speak of is?.
Well IF the holes are piped directly to the intake then they would serve nicely as ram air intakes... if they just are open holes to the engine bay then I see your question.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:08 PM   #59
Possmguts

Quote:
[B][COLOR="Red"]
Here is another Optima challenge truck it looks a lot like the drawing. This one was the one I was looking for to begin with.
Now this one I like. Its close to the look Im going for.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:45 PM   #60
skorpioskorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possmguts View Post
Well IF the holes are piped directly to the intake then they would serve nicely as ram air intakes... if they just are open holes to the engine bay then I see your question.
Yea, but that was kind of my point, all those "Ram Air" systems from the '60s didn't really work very well.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:04 AM   #61
no1udknow

Quote:
Yea, but that was kind of my point, all those "Ram Air" systems from the '60s didn't really work very well.
Ram air does not lend itself well to any carbureted application really. Unfortunately when you ram air into a caburetor venturi with such force, the pressure in the venturi actually increases instead of dropping like it is supposed too. There becomes too much air and it cant get out of the way fast enough and forces itself into any opening it can find including the jets and the float bowl. Honda and Kawasaki figured out that they could overcome this by piping a line from the ram air tube to the float bowls on their motorcycles, thus increasing the pressure in the bowls as the air pressure in the ram increased. Allowing the venturi effect to work properly. Cowl induction on the other hand takes advantage of a semi stable pocker of air at the base of the windshield. While all the air is turbulent flowing under and over the hood, the pressure of the pocket of air at the base of the window was more like the air would be if the car weren't moving which makes for better conditions for the venturi effect of the carb......

wow that was a ramble sorry.... I just love performance technology....
Old 11-24-2014, 03:50 PM   #62
skorpioskorpio

Ram Air has all kinds of issues, the ill effects of pressurizing carburetors is just one of them. In most of the '60 applications of forward facing hood scoops air pressure and density were all over the place as humidity, altitude, attitude, and temperature changed, basically guaranteeing an inconsistent air fuel mixture. Same holds true, to a lesser degree, of electronic fuel injection, most of the OEM PCUs are not really fast enough to adapt to wildly changing intake air quality which is what a crude velocity based attempt at free forced induction gives you. Best thing you are going to be able to do for consistency is to give an engine a cool air source without turbulence at predictable pressures. To try and force some inconsistent air source into a engine based on aerodynamic guesses will lead to combustion that is constantly varying between rich (dirty) and lean (destructive).

...and yes that is why cowl induction type scoops or rearward facing scoops basically replaced all other types.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:00 PM   #63
Possmguts

Quote:
Ram Air has all kinds of issues, the ill effects of pressurizing carburetors is just one of them. In most of the '60 applications of forward facing hood scoops air pressure and density were all over the place as humidity, altitude, attitude, and temperature changed, basically guaranteeing an inconsistent air fuel mixture. Same holds true, to a lesser degree, of electronic fuel injection, most of the OEM PCUs are not really fast enough to adapt to wildly changing intake air quality which is what a crude velocity based attempt at free forced induction gives you. Best thing you are going to be able to do for consistency is to give an engine a cool air source without turbulence at predictable pressures. To try and force some inconsistent air source into a engine based on aerodynamic guesses will lead to combustion that is constantly varying between rich (dirty) and lean (destructive).

...and yes that is why cowl induction type scoops or rearward facing scoops basically replaced all other types.
with all that being said... then how in the world does a carbureted turbo vehicle even work? Would a blow through set up not be the same principle as what you're saying dont work? or even draw through for that matter?

Old 11-24-2014, 11:31 PM   #64
no1udknow

Exactly... carbureted turbo setups don't work well.... not nearly as well as efi. A blow through carbureted turbo (where the turbo is before the carb) are really hard to get right. You need a high cfm carb, the jetting needs to be perfect, and you need high fuel pressure and float bowl air pressure.

A suck through (where the carb is before the turbo) is much easier to manage. Because the air is being pulled through the carb by demand rather than being forced into it. When the throttle body closes the pull stops. This is why superchargers are so effective, and usually have the carb(s) on top.

both have disadvantages. Push through are really hard to get right and maintain tune, while the pull through turbos run the risk of ignition in the turbo.

superchargers dont run the risk of ignition because they dont use hot exhaust to spin the turbo, they are belt driven....but they rob initial hp.

like my performance/dyno teacher used to say "theres no free lunch"
Old 11-25-2014, 01:29 PM   #65
skorpioskorpio

A lot of blow through boosted setups in the carbureted days used pressure boxes, where the whole carb was incased in a box so that the carb was operating under a higher relative pressure. By doing it this way pressure differentials from the floats to seals, etc., are the same as they would be at normal atmospheric pressure with a raised relative baseline. It's how all the Paxton superchargers in Shelbys and Avantis were set up. I don't think any of the factory carbureted turbo setups (Saab, Buick, Trans Am, Corvair, Porsche) were blow through, I think they were all draw through which is simpler to setup and get to run, but has the disadvantage of lag and surge which all those early setups had in spades. Stomp on the pedal..one Mississippi, two Mississippi, holy crap!
Old 04-02-2015, 05:06 AM   #66
Hellaflush3d

The wait is over, lol
Attached Images

Hellaflush3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:19 AM   #67
Andy4639
Old member

Question Re: 69 Camaro front valance and spoiler on a 67 c10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellaflush3d View Post
The wait is over, lol
I saw it on F/B and it is awesome man, nice work. Now when are we going to see the real deal, that is the question!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 04-02-2015, 08:46 AM   #68
68shortwide

Looked at this three different time before i noticed the C/28 emblems lol Thats awesome!
1968 ShortWide
1969 ShortStep
68shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:51 AM   #69
michael bustamante

This thread keeps on coming up so I thought you guys would like seeing this truck from super nationals. Not a valance but it does have camaro ties
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2015, 05:30 PM   #70
Possmguts

Quote:
The wait is over, lol
that Some Bish took my idea! lol
Damn thats BEAUTIFUL! And Exactly what Im going for!
Thanks for sharing that

Old 04-02-2015, 11:38 PM   #71
Gravityamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1udknow View Post
Ive seen this photochop a few times... i think it looks awesome..
That is awesome looking right there ! Has anyone accomplished this yet or even attempted it ?
I think I got a woody looking at that

Peace
Gravityamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:09 AM   #72
Possmguts

Here the thread the black pic came from.... I actually thought it was a real truck. Member Hellaflush3d did these. Nice renderings!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=665510

Old 04-05-2015, 09:12 AM   #73
Possmguts

Quote:
The wait is over, lol
Thats an awesome rendering bud... I wounder if you could do one with a SS grill with the hide away headlights for me?

Old 04-05-2015, 11:06 AM   #74
chevy2tom

Love the C/28 emblem
chevy2tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 01:02 PM   #75
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: 69 Camaro front valance and spoiler on a 67 c10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy2tom View Post
Love the C/28 emblem
I like that touch to.

I also would like a c z 10 emblem for it!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club