The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-18-2011, 12:08 PM   #1
charx2

Need your advice on my rear bag setup please!

Ok, So I just finished installing this step notch from S/D and I made some 2" lowering blocks as well. I am trying to figure out what the best route would go to install my rear bags. I already have some double conv bags but I heard they are no good above or behind the axle. I'm wondering if the trailing arm could support the weight if I mounted the bags right beside where they make contact with the frame? It would be a little more towards the cab but around where I have that rusted crossbrace welded in. I would have to test for fitment but roughly around that area. Any suggestions? I'm trying not to get a 4link right now because $$$ is tight, and I would like to use the bags I already have instead of paying another $120+ for some sleave bags. Any ideas? I'm been looking through the threads for days and I've seem some things but not many with double conv bags that would still ride good. As a last resort I will buy the sleave bags, but trying to fab something up first. Just wanted you guys input before I fail. Thanks!
charx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:17 PM   #2
layingC10nK5

Re: Need your advice on my rear bag setup please!

Take a look here

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=441826
Posted via Mobile Device
layingC10nK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:52 PM   #3
charx2

His is not the original trailing arms and I'm not sure if that is still structurally strong? That is somewhat of what I’m thinking only I don’t know about cutting my frame like that and I’m trying to use the original trailing arms. I thought about just building some plates that come off the trailing arm and frame and mounting the bags on them. I would use gussets to support the bottom as well. Just not sure how the ride would be and how the trailing arms would hold up.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:51 PM   #4
texastrendz

This is how i did mine, you really got a lot of notch. I do not think this setup will work for you. Is the top of the notch level with the frame? It looks like it is running down hill toward the rear of the truck. I am not running super big wheels on my truck, thus not requiring a big notch. Hope this helps in some way.
Attached Images

texastrendz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:15 PM   #5
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

You definately do not want to build a bracket on the side of the trailing arms for the air spring lower support.

The design concept behind GM using an I-beam construction for the trailing arms is that an I-beam has very little torsional resistance. Remember the trailing arms mount to the rear axle which articulates, and it also mounts to the crossmember, which is fixed. Therefore when 1 rear tire is goes up, and the other rear tire goes down that twists the I-beam. The rubber bushings at the crossmember take some of the torsional movement.... unless you are using poly bushings... then almost all the twist goes into the trailing arms.

Good quality aftermarket trailing arms use some type of spherical heims joint such as the Sphon spherical joint shown below. This allows these much more torsionally resistant trailing arm to have very little torsion themselves (such as using a tube or box structure) yet the joint itself instead of the trailing arms member takes up the twisting action.

Hope that helps.

John

Last edited by lakeroadster; 05-19-2011 at 08:22 AM.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:02 PM   #6
kev2809
low n' slo

any luck? i thought about moving my rear bags as well just not sure where. i guess bags on the axle is about the only way.

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
,.,,,.,.,,.,|_O _______ O_]
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:39 AM   #7
charx2

My notches do go downhill, I can fab up some type of mount to counter that though. Thanks for the reply guys, I guess my mounts on the trailing arms is a no go. Not really sure what I'm going to do yet but it looks like I might do something similiar to what texas has, just mount mine a little higher on the axle, and lower on the notch. My question is, will the ride be ok if I do this mount with double conv bags? Or will I have to get sleaved bags?
Old 05-19-2011, 12:21 PM   #8
texastrendz

Mine road fine with the bags in front of the axle with a double convoluted bag. When you run them behind the axle is where i ran into problems.
I have a one ton dually that is bagged and it road horrible with the bags behind the axle. I had to switch to a sleeve bag to get the ride nice.
The only problem with running the bags off the axle is it is a 1:1 ratio, which equals the same lift as the bag stroke. If you were to mount them off of the control arm you would get more lift because of the lever. I do not need a lot of lift since i am running a dropmember up front. It is going to ride low, front and rear. Hope this helps, Daniel
texastrendz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:11 PM   #9
charx2

I went and ordered some brackets from QAR, hopefully they will be in next week and I can begin to make them mount. I order some under the axle mounts and top mounts. I will mount them in front of the axel and see how it does. Might work out ok. Will most likely have to alter the brackets but that's ok, as long as I can get them mounted and riding nice. Thanks for all your input guys! This is why I became a premium member. I felt guilty for all the knowledge and advice I have got here, figured it was well worth the $25 bones!
Old 06-06-2011, 08:34 PM   #10
kev2809
low n' slo

so you get those bags on yet? its already been a few weeks!!

heres how mine ended up..

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
,.,,,.,.,,.,|_O _______ O_]

Last edited by kev2809; 06-06-2011 at 08:37 PM.
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:02 AM   #11
charx2

Sorry for no response. Still working on it though. Trying to get things together with the rear suspension. Trying to figure out a good way to make a suspension limiter for these sleeved bags. I'm broke as a joke so the $50 straps will be my last resort. Anyone have any good ideas on how to limit my suspension?
Old 05-29-2013, 12:04 PM   #12
tinydb84

Quote:
Originally Posted by charx2 View Post
Sorry for no response. Still working on it though. Trying to get things together with the rear suspension. Trying to figure out a good way to make a suspension limiter for these sleeved bags. I'm broke as a joke so the $50 straps will be my last resort. Anyone have any good ideas on how to limit my suspension?
My bother's set up had sleeved bags and the shop used the shocks at the limiter.
Rear suspension rework: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=750557
Instagram: myfabguy
tinydb84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:18 PM   #13
Dramid
Account Suspended

Not necessarily sure what I'll do yet nevertheless it looks like I might do one thing similiar about the texas features, just install mine slightly higher for the axle and lower for the notch. We've a one ton dually which is bagged also it road horrible while using the bags powering the axle. I was required to switch to some sleeve bag to get the ride wonderful.
Dramid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #14
charx2

I bought some limiting straps but it seems like they'll stretch when needed? They're rated for 1000lbs each but I don't know if I trust them....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-30-2013, 09:58 PM   #15
stevencvn72
Kill Bill...et

Where did you get your limiting straps? Are they adjustable?

I Grease

'67 Chev stepper

http://youtu.be/38p_2Iu2fd0
stevencvn72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:17 PM   #16
dec010974

hello to all. I have this same notch. I need help too. im a newbie. I searched for days and found nothing. can I use the rear, air bag brackets to mount the air bags in the stock, coil spring location? I would like to see pics if possible. also, how low will the back/rear go using this notch. I guess sooner or later I want to lay the frame. if the rear comes out ok(low) then ill work on the front for, "how low can you go". I have the front air bag bracket also. I appreciate any help. thanks. clark.
dec010974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:21 PM   #17
dec010974

hello to all. I have this same notch. I need help too. im a newbie. I searched for days and found nothing. can I use the rear, air bag brackets to mount the air bags in the stock, coil spring location? I would like to see pics if possible. also, how low will the back/rear go using this notch. I guess sooner or later I want to lay the frame. if the rear comes out ok(low) then ill work on the front for, "how low can you go". I have the front air bag bracket also. I appreciate any help. thanks. Clark. y did you install blocks?
dec010974 is offline   Reply With Quote