The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-04-2015, 02:19 PM   #1
'63GENIII

Hydraulic winch install - new power steering issues

OK, if anyone can chime in here, I would greatly appreciate it.
So yesterday I installed a Mile Marker hydraulic winch in the '63 that runs off of the power steering pump. I had new high pressure hoses made at a local hydraulic place, with the correct fittings. I installed the winch last night, topped off the power steering reservoir with StaLube power steering fluid, ran the engine, topped it off again. This morning, I went to purge the air out of the system. I put the front axle on jack stands with the wheels off of the ground, started the engine and did the 10 - 12 times lock to lock with the wheel - engine speed around 1500 rpm.
The steering felt a little stiffer than I though it would with the wheels off of the ground, but I took it for a drive anyway. What I found was that the effortless steering that I used to have (even with 35"s was great) was gone. Now I have to get the rpm's to about 2200 - 2500 while moving for the truck to be able to get around a corner. Not the safest way of driving, thankfully I was able to push in the clutch and get the rpm's up. Still a little busier than I call safe.
My questions are these:
Can the power steering fluid make that much of a difference in the effort required to steer? I can't remember what ps fluid I used before or if I may have used ATF.
Could I have possibly trashed the pump or the box somehow? The box was on the truck when I got it. The pump is a 1997 Hydroboost with the serpentine drive. I'm still running vacuum brakes.
The PS effort was so minimal before the winch install that it was really surprising for having the 35"s. I used to be able to easily turn the wheels lock to lock at idle. Now I can barely do that while it's moving without fear of breaking the steering wheel.
Any advise would be a huge help.

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote