The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-24-2010, 02:29 PM   #51
kvn1011
Kvn1011

Re: My whole braking system - thinking out loud

Quick question, will this new bracket to be work with a 72 rear end?
This definitly sounds promising
Kev
kvn1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:58 PM   #52
suttoncurt

Wow - just found this - good work everyone , Captin Fab , ill take a set of the brackets when we get this figured out - Im assuming this will be a weld on bracket?
suttoncurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:18 PM   #53
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Here's a pic of the D52's on a set of Belltech 3" drop spindles.
They are positioned very close to three o'clock, on the spindle.
Attached Images

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:38 PM   #54
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The caliper brackets that I will be making will be a bolt on assembly that will fit all truck based 10 and 12 bolt rear differentials from '64-'87 and possible as new as '98+

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvn1011 View Post
Quick question, will this new bracket to be work with a 72 rear end?
This definitly sounds promising
Kev
Quote:
Originally Posted by suttoncurt View Post
Wow - just found this - good work everyone , Captin Fab , ill take a set of the brackets when we get this figured out - Im assuming this will be a weld on bracket?

Yes those are close to 3 O'clock....in fact in that first pic they look like they're towards 3:30 a little. Did those D52 calipers fit the spindles without issue? Did you purchase the calipers in a kit with pads, hoses,etc? Just wondering if there could be any issues with parts store pads in these calipers. I know they're supposed to fit and Wilwood parts are generally real good quality, but......

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
Here's a pic of the D52's on a set of Belltech 3" drop spindles.
They are positioned very close to three o'clock, on the spindle.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:56 PM   #55
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Thanks for the kind words Scot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
That rotor sounds promising. Kudos to you CF for pushing stuff like this forward & possibly helping out the rest of this group in their search.

Well I didn't get as far as I had hoped today.....crazy busy day today. However I did get the rotor off of the parts Astro. So far it looks promising.....it's 11.61 diameter and 1.29 thick as it shows online. The hat is stamped steel and fits over the axle flange without machining as needed with the Lincoln rotors. Plus with the thinner hat, the wheel should be in the same location side to side as with a drum. I think the hub register will be fine as well even though the parts listing shows a hub register on the Astro rotors of .020 larger than the Lincoln and Impala rotors.

So those of you that are currently interested in this setup, do you have any input on which rotor sounds the best to you? The Lincoln rotor which is .955 thick or the Astro rotor which is 1.290 thick

Anyway the plan tomorrow is to get the rotor cleaned up some, get it mounted on my mockup rear diff, set an OEM caliper on there and see what ideas I can come up with for a bracket.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:58 PM   #56
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
The caliper brackets that I will be making will be a bolt on assembly that will fit all truck based 10 and 12 bolt rear differentials from '64-'87 and possible as new as '98+.
Fingers crossed on this set-up. This would be a good one for the group here!
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:01 AM   #57
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Yes those are close to 3 O'clock....in fact in that first pic they look like they're towards 3:30 a little. Did those D52 calipers fit the spindles without issue? Did you purchase the calipers in a kit with pads, hoses,etc? Just wondering if there could be any issues with parts store pads in these calipers. I know they're supposed to fit and Wilwood parts are generally real good quality, but......
I bought the calipers from Jegs.
The rotors and pads came from SSBC.
The only thing different,... is there is no "spring clip" to secure the pad to the piston bore,... since the D52's are dual piston calipers,... instead of a single piston caliper.

The do look like they are clocked closer to 3:30,... but I had the front up on jack stands when these pics were taken.

Convert to disc brakes.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:04 AM   #58
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

My hoses are aftermarket braided hoses,... but I think stock hoses will work with a 7/16-20 banjo bolt.
I'm interest in this kit with the Astro Van rotors.

Convert to disc brakes.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:05 AM   #59
SCOTI

Quote:

Well I didn't get as far as I had hoped today.....crazy busy day today. However I did get the rotor off of the parts Astro. So far it looks promising.....it's 11.61 diameter and 1.29 thick as it shows online. The hat is stamped steel and fits over the axle flange without machining as needed with the Lincoln rotors. Plus with the thinner hat, the wheel should be in the same location side to side as with a drum. I think the hub register will be fine as well even though the parts listing shows a hub register on the Astro rotors of .020 larger than the Lincoln and Impala rotors.

So those of you that are currently interested in this setup, do you have any input on which rotor sounds the best to you? The Lincoln rotor which is .955 thick or the Astro rotor which is 1.290 thick

Anyway the plan tomorrow is to get the rotor cleaned up some, get it mounted on my mockup rear diff, set an OEM caliper on there and see what ideas I can come up with for a bracket.
I'm a solid rotor GM kind of guy. Others might want the Lincoln rotor because they might be easier to get drilled or slotted (or both).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 03-25-2010, 12:27 AM   #60
smashingchuck
It'd be alot cooler if you did

Actually it appears as though there may actually be more choices with the Astro rotors. Is there a difference in the AWD vs 2wd rotors? I'm not seeing seperate listings for them on any of the sites of checked so far, but I haven't see a mention of AWD either.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/y...s/?Ns=Rank|Asc

4Runner Build
smashingchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:45 AM   #61
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Actually yesterday smashingchuck and I did a search for drilled and slotted Lincoln rotors. The availability was very limited for some reason. I just did a search on Summit and the availability of the Astro rotors in the drilled and slotted style seems to be better.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/M...d=brake+rotors

Quote:
I'm a solid rotor GM kind of guy. Others might want the Lincoln rotor because they might be easier to get drilled or slotted (or both).

Last edited by Captainfab; 03-25-2010 at 12:54 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:49 AM   #62
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yes there is a difference between the RWD and AWD rotors......you want the AWD rotors. Check the link in my post. I didn't check them all but there are a couple different brands offered in the AWD rotors that are drilled and slotted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingchuck View Post
Actually it appears as though there may actually be more choices with the Astro rotors. Is there a difference in the AWD vs 2wd rotors? I'm not seeing seperate listings for them on any of the sites of checked so far, but I haven't see a mention of AWD either.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/y...s/?Ns=Rank|Asc
Old 03-25-2010, 01:08 AM   #63
smashingchuck

Quote:
Yes there is a difference between the RWD and AWD rotors......you want the AWD rotors. Check the link in my post. I didn't check them all but there are a couple different brands offered in the AWD rotors that are drilled and slotted.
Still a nice selection, and no machining sounds good, too!

4Runner Build

Last edited by smashingchuck; 03-25-2010 at 01:09 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:57 AM   #64
Alvin
Never Done?

This might take the place of my camaro caliper/impala ss rear disc setup before it ever makes it on the truck! Anyone have any info about the driveshaft mounted parking brake? I would really like to have one, as an emergency brake if nothing else.

Ethel has been sold.

Last edited by Alvin; 03-25-2010 at 07:58 AM.
Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:17 AM   #65
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I think any GM rotor would be the one of choice. Since the SS Impala was built in smaller numbers, and fewer years it would seem that the Astro rotor would be the best choice. Regardless of the brand, the thicker rotor would be better in my mind.

I know it's not common to warp rear rotors, but it can happen it aggressive applications. To me the thicker rotor would help prevent that from becoming a concern.

This sounds like a great alternative kit for those that want matching calpers but aren't concerned with a E-brake.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 03-25-2010 at 09:18 AM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:43 AM   #66
smashingchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
This might take the place of my camaro caliper/impala ss rear disc setup before it ever makes it on the truck! Anyone have any info about the driveshaft mounted parking brake? I would really like to have one, as an emergency brake if nothing else.
You can buy the Wilwood rear kit that has a parking brake for the same money as putting this together and buying a driveshaft style parking brake.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WIL-140-10094D/

4Runner Build
Old 03-25-2010, 12:02 PM   #67
suttoncurt

O.k. im getting excited now ! Sounds like we have the right ppl involved ! Keep it up guys !
Old 03-25-2010, 12:29 PM   #68
suttoncurt

Talking Re: My whole braking system - thinking out loud

Quote:

oh yea - forgot to say - I think the astro rotor is the way to go !
Old 03-25-2010, 12:35 PM   #69
suttoncurt

Quote:
Fingers crossed on this set-up. This would be a good one for the group here!
Hey Scoti - What do you think about the color of the wilwood d52 ? Does it match up with chevy red (orange) ok ? I want a black set but there not avaliable .
Old 03-25-2010, 01:12 PM   #70
smashingchuck

Keith what kind of rotors are you running in the pic?

4Runner Build
Old 03-25-2010, 01:53 PM   #71
SCOTI

Quote:
Hey Scoti - What do you think about the color of the wilwood d52 ? Does it match up with chevy red (orange) ok ? I want a black set but there not avaliable .
I don't have any D52 calipers so I can't say. 1st thing I would do to them is paint them black anyway....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 03-25-2010, 02:20 PM   #72
Alvin
Never Done?

Quote:
You can buy the Wilwood rear kit that has a parking brake for the same money as putting this together and buying a driveshaft style parking brake.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WIL-140-10094D/
As far as that goes, I could run the stuff I already have. I appreciate the option, but you answered a question I didn't ask.

I was trying to add to the conversation here so that if an option exists for adding a parking brake to this set-up, more people might purchase brackets (including myself). Also, one wouldn't need to run wilwood calipers at all, since the wilwood fits, the stock d52 calipers will fit, should someone really want to save their wallet.

I'll continue my search for an e-brake solution.

Ethel has been sold.
Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:27 PM   #73
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

FYI- This topic prompted me to research the D52 caliper options. I made a separate post here "D52 caliper upgrades " to discuss the topic.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:50 PM   #74
Painter D

Quote:
They'll match up OK ,but I'd paint them black like SCOTI suggested. I left mine red when I first put them on but they're coming off and getting a fresh coat of black as soon as I get time.

'63 Buick Riviera ... AccuAir E-level, 20" Billet Specialties (Vintecs)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=528853&page=5
Painter D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:51 PM   #75
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Keith what kind of rotors are you running in the pic?
Chuck,... they are zinc plated rotors from SSBC.
I wanted a rotor that I wouldn't have to paint.
I don't care if it has a slot or drilled hole in it.
My blazer has ECE drilled and slotted rotors,... but you have to paint the center and the edge, to keep them from rusting.

I should have thought out, a rear disc kit, prior to buying these for the front.
I assume I could purchase a matching rear disc kit from SSBC,... but I originally planned on running rear drum brakes. (and I still may)

I also wish Wilwood would make the D52's in black.

Convert to disc brakes.

Last edited by lolife99; 03-26-2010 at 12:03 AM.