The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2021, 09:29 AM   #1
MT65

Question Wiper motor wiring

Finishing the under dash stuff, found my original wiper switch has only one terminal, the motor has 2....switch has 2 positions as per a two speed...checked continuity one original harness, yes one wire from switch to motor, will check other wire on motor for termination...not understanding how GM made this work...surely the switch isn’t a grounding point. Any thoughts???
MT65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 10:12 AM   #2
The Rocknrod

Re: Wiper motor wiring

You should have a yellow wire from the fuse panel to the motor. A light blue wire from the motor to the switch. The motor grounds thru the switch, so make sure grounds...
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 11:28 AM   #3
clemsonteg

I've been using this http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...19&postcount=4 and the American Autowire diagram https://www.americanautowire.com/med...20IN%200.0.pdf
clemsonteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 04:27 PM   #4
MT65

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
You should have a yellow wire from the fuse panel to the motor. A light blue wire from the motor to the switch. The motor grounds thru the switch, so make sure grounds...
Yes, checked that this morning, never had a wiper switch be the ground in the past, knowing that it was marginal when I drove home in a snow storm through most of eastern Oregon, I just ordered one of Newport Enginnering new ones. Do not want any issues in the future, and one more speed can’t hurt.
I had luckily kept the old harness and panel to check items like this, thanks for the help tho......
Old 04-26-2021, 04:30 PM   #5
MT65

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonteg View Post
My switch only has one terminal, I think it has been fooled with in the past, new parts due in Thursday....
Old 04-26-2021, 05:10 PM   #6
nsb29

The reason that it uses a ground is when you turn the switch off there still has to be power to the motor so it can park With the 2 speed switch and motor you basically have two grounds one ground to Low speed the other one for high-speed
Old 04-27-2021, 07:08 AM   #7
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT65 View Post
Yes, checked that this morning, never had a wiper switch be the ground in the past, knowing that it was marginal when I drove home in a snow storm through most of eastern Oregon, I just ordered one of Newport Enginnering new ones. Do not want any issues in the future, and one more speed can’t hurt.
I had luckily kept the old harness and panel to check items like this, thanks for the help tho......
On an OEM motor the wiper switch IS the ground. The yellow is power, the motor grounds THRU the switch. - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=695112
When the wiper switch is turned on, it completes the circuit to ground (the dash). - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=413551

Last edited by The Rocknrod; 04-27-2021 at 07:14 AM.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote