The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 10:42 AM   #26
Prostreet 72
Prostreet 72

Re: 2nd 1972 Chevy Fleetside build (Green Monster)

Well, the good newes is that the fuel filler hole is gone. The Bad newes is that the last guy discovered the lost art of sculpting bondo. It took me a while to find metal! It appears that I will be adding new cab corners to my shopping list as well. I am not sure when to put those on though? Do you put them on after I replace the floor pan, or before?

I guess the next step is to get the doors aligned. That way I can figure out where to start straightening things. Hopefully the next post will be of the truck with the front end missing.

Chris
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2009, 05:19 PM   #27
Prostreet 72
Prostreet 72

Boy these things are everywhere! Now wonder it's like wild kingdom when the heat in the garage is on.
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2009, 05:44 PM   #28
Prostreet 72
Prostreet 72

So when the dust settled and the bees stoped flying around, this is what I ended up with. Every once and a while, I catch myself thinking "35,000 miles my A#@. But then I find a pile of wear items to support the mileage. Who knows?
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2009, 10:39 PM   #29
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

dude, you could start your own honey farm!!!LOL...That lip on the top of the cab looks really bad!!!....So did you say you are keeping/ rebuilding the engine?....Lots of work ahead....

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
Old 01-16-2009, 09:01 AM   #30
Prostreet 72
Prostreet 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcburdic View Post
dude, you could start your own honey farm!!!LOL...That lip on the top of the cab looks really bad!!!....So did you say you are keeping/ rebuilding the engine?....Lots of work ahead....
No kidding! Can you believe that? Unless I find more in the heater box, or the cowl sides, I think they are gone.

The engine looks worse that it really is. I brought it home, shot it with starting fluid and hit the key, it fired right up with 80 PSI of oil pressure. It seemed like it was OK. I am going to pull it down and reseal it all, and do an intake and carb change as well. The engine is the least of my worries. I can build this on in my sleep. The engine in the other truck is a maintence monster. Solid roller, 13:1 compression 468. So this on is no sweat. I may do a cam change as well, but I hate to mess with something that works, and has such low mileage on it. I guess I will have to see what the timing chain stretch looks like.

The upper windshield is rough. I think I can fix it though. I figured something was going on up there because the inner pannel is shot as well. On the positive side, that is the only bad area of the windshield frame.

I guess I may be further ahead to replace the cab, but I think it is repairable. Besides, it's too cold to do anything else out doors......So what the hell, I'll give it a shot. Of course, if someone came forward with a ripping deal on a cab, I'd be all over that too.

By the way, I really like the copper paint on the mistress. I am still undecided on what to do with this one. I may do a poll. I want it to be different from the other one.

Chris
Old 01-16-2009, 09:48 AM   #31
tdave00
Restoring a 68 SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prostreet 72 View Post
The upper windshield is rough. I think I can fix it though. I figured something was going on up there because the inner pannel is shot as well. On the positive side, that is the only bad area of the windshield frame.

I guess I may be further ahead to replace the cab, but I think it is repairable. Besides, it's too cold to do anything else out doors......So what the hell, I'll give it a shot. Of course, if someone came forward with a ripping deal on a cab, I'd be all over that too.
I thought you were crazy for messing with that frame in the condition it was in, but it turned out looking great, so I won't say anything about the cab . From what I have seen so far you go the skills to do pretty much anything. Nice build.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:52 AM   #32
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

Chris....I guess that prostreet is a maintenance monster!!!....I'm sure you know this but keep your eyes peeled on the parts board....sometimes really good cabs come available....or heck post a WTB ad and kinda feel around for what's out there???...who knows....something with less work could be there, but if you want to stay inside of that heated garage all winter working, then more power to ya!!!
Thanks for the compliments on my paint...I tell you at first I was going to go back with blue, but this hit me one day and I loved it.....different is cool, but you know green and white 2 tone looks pretty cool too!!!....Keep up the good work...wish I had the skills you do...especially to rebuild the engine....that's my next I would really like to take on!

Old 01-16-2009, 01:10 PM   #33
Prostreet 72
Prostreet 72

Hey, I don't know, but dose this hole look too large? (Rad core support mount) The fun never ends.. I love doing this stuff. I guess the more stuff I have to make for it the better. Ask me about this quote again in a couple of months though.

So the front end is off now. Preety simple. I found a few more nuggets of fun. Check out the size of these bullet holes! They came from the inside of the cab, thru the floor boards! I would have to think they took out the tire. Now I'm intrested to see what they hit on their way thru the fender well. At first I thought, "that looks like a bullet hole" Then I saw the other one next to it! No bolts here!

I'm also curoius about this water pump. Dose this look like a stock pump? I thought these trucks had a long pump on them. (1972 and up)

If anyone has a core support that is not missing any attachment points I'd be intrested in it. Most on the right side of mins was gone. Perhaps the bullets took most of it away............

Chris
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2009, 05:10 PM   #34
lks dcvn

Hole too large in the rad support mount - yes - but you can weld a washer on there to replace the metal - others have done it without an issue.

Wow - I have found some nests on my stuff - but never to that extent - surprised they still have activity in them and bees are still active in this weather up here.

That cab does look rough - but you are making some headway on it. It will give you some practice for when I ask politely for you to help me with my rust repair later on down the road -
Old 01-16-2009, 06:05 PM   #35
Prostreet 72
Prostreet 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by lks dcvn View Post
Hole too large in the rad support mount - yes - but you can weld a washer on there to replace the metal - others have done it without an issue.

Wow - I have found some nests on my stuff - but never to that extent - surprised they still have activity in them and bees are still active in this weather up here.

That cab does look rough - but you are making some headway on it. It will give you some practice for when I ask politely for you to help me with my rust repair later on down the road -
Not a problem. I would be glad to give you a hand. How about those bullet holes? I havn't found any going the other direction, so I don't think it was involved in a gun battle. Probably opperator error. Twice!
Old 01-19-2009, 01:58 AM   #36
lks dcvn

Couldn't think of who welded in the washer in the mount hole so I did some digging for you...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...25&postcount=4

Hope that helps.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:49 PM   #37
Prostreet 72
Prostreet 72

I did a little work over the weekend. Took the kids to see the monster trucks at Ford Field. That was fun. The boys (2 & 3 years old) loved it. They are gear heads as well. I think it drives their mother crazy.

Any way, I guess you can say I took 3 steps forward, and 15 back. On a positive note, nothing came out at me when I took the blower housing off. So that's good. Gotta be positive here.... I think I have to replace the floor before I get too carried away with the rest. The floor will be the worst part for me. The rest, I know what I have to do to fix it. So that dosn't worry me. I actually think it will be preety nice when its done. Remember, positive thinking.......

I also came up with an idea for a hood design. I think I can use the old one as material, but I am going to need another. I know where one is at, but I need the floor first. I actually got this idea off of one of the monster trucks. I leave it at that for now. Should look nice when its done.

I posted a pile of stuff on the for sale side of things here. Let me know if intrested. Prices are just thumb nail prices. We can deal. Also, if someone wants something polished, fixed or fabed up, let me know. Kind of a side thing. Pays for the truck.

So here are a few more pictures.

Chris
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2009, 10:36 AM   #38
lks dcvn

Wow - plenty of work there - makes me scared of what is on the trucks I have...

You just never know.

These two pix side by side tell the tale...
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2009, 11:03 AM   #39
Prostreet 72
Prostreet 72

I started in on the patching last night. I started with the rear window ledge. I cut it out, bent myself up a new part and welded it in. So it's on to the next hole!

Chris

Yes it was alot rougher then it appeared. This is why it is improtant to fix it the right way. Someone else tried to fix it in the past, but the roof still leaked and took out all of the bondo. The best way to fix it is to weld in new panels and reseal the drip rails with seam sealer/body adheasive. Otherwise, it'll be back.
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2009, 03:28 PM   #40
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

Hey Chris,

did you happen to paint that rusty area behind the back window patch you did??...I think it would be beneficial to stop that rust the best you can....JMHO

Old 01-20-2009, 03:49 PM   #41
Prostreet 72
Prostreet 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcburdic View Post
Hey Chris,

did you happen to paint that rusty area behind the back window patch you did??...I think it would be beneficial to stop that rust the best you can....JMHO
My plan was to just re-rust proof the truck when I am finished. Eastwoods sells a kit that looks like it will work preety well. It has some large flexable wands to get into those areas. I don't see how I could remove the rust completly from in between some of these panels. Did you notice the large hole below the one I just fixed? That one goes all the way thru the cab. That one is my next item to fix. I hope it's a long winter.

A while ago you had asked how much work I wanted to do to a core support. I was looking at mine yesterday, and if I had the lower inner fender mounting flange from another support, I could fix this one. Any change you have that section?

Chris
Old 01-20-2009, 04:47 PM   #42
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prostreet 72 View Post
My plan was to just re-rust proof the truck when I am finished. Eastwoods sells a kit that looks like it will work preety well. It has some large flexable wands to get into those areas. I don't see how I could remove the rust completly from in between some of these panels. Did you notice the large hole below the one I just fixed? That one goes all the way thru the cab. That one is my next item to fix. I hope it's a long winter.

A while ago you had asked how much work I wanted to do to a core support. I was looking at mine yesterday, and if I had the lower inner fender mounting flange from another support, I could fix this one. Any change you have that section?

Chris
That's cool...I figured you had it worked out, but just wanted to ask...hate to see you do all that work to have that rust rear its ugly head!!!
Boy, that's a bunch of work, but little by little you'll get it done...I'm sure the Michigan winter will be long enough!!
On the core support....I would prefer to leave mine intact (or what's left of it)...but which inner fender mount flange do you need (driver or pass)...I've seen other guys cut one up....do a WTB ad to see if someone would do that for you....and of course keep the pictures coming...I enjoy watching your build! Geoff

Old 01-22-2009, 11:20 AM   #43
Prostreet 72
Prostreet 72

Last night I got the front windshield frame cut out and managed to get the first half of the repair panel made and in place. I decided to use two pieces so I could shingle them together for additional strength. Since I am removing the inner visor panel as well, I can weld the patches from the inside as well. So here is the first half.

Chris
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2009, 10:59 AM   #44
Prostreet 72
Prostreet 72

Here is the rest of the windshield repair. Now it will only require a small amount of filler. It is double welded and ground down. It is also welded on the inside of the roof.
Attached Images

Last edited by Prostreet 72; 01-23-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:07 PM   #45
Prostreet 72
Prostreet 72

I ordered a inner visor repair panel this morning. I guess I am going to have to wait a while before I replace the floor pan. I need to sell a few parts first. $500.oo, Yikes! If any one is intrested in any thing, or wants brackets or aluminum parts polished, let me know. I have to make a few bucks to get that floor pan.

I still don't know what I am doing with the engine either. Stock look, or street rod look? I also haven't decided if I should go ahead and do a cam change, or leave it be? If it really has only 35K on it, it should be fine. I'm not sure what I am going to do. What I really need to do is sell one of these Barstool racers. That would take care of a bunch of parts. Know anyone intrested?

Chris
Old 01-27-2009, 11:50 AM   #46
Prostreet 72
Prostreet 72

Since I am in a holding pattern until I can fund a floor pan, I started making my dress up parts. I started with the pedal pads. I then made slip over covers for the rad. core support corner brackets. I did this on my other truck too. It changes the look alot.

While I was making all of these parts, I made a few sets. I am posting them on the for sale side under "Garage Sale". None of the parts are expensive. They just do not make many dress up parts for these trucks. If you are intrested, take a look at what I keep posting, and let me know. The parts above are there as well. All are mirror polished except the pedal pads. They could be too I guess.

Chris
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2009, 11:55 AM   #47
Prostreet 72
Prostreet 72

I also made this heater box cover for inside the truck. I always hated the look of that box, and there wasn't much you could do to it. So here is the cover I made. It is polished like a mirror as well. The camera is not kind to the polished parts. I have a few of these made as well if anyone is intrested. See the "Garage Sale" post on the for sale side.

Chris
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2009, 01:40 PM   #48
Prostreet 72
Prostreet 72

Here are some pictures of the new steering column cover I made. I have a few of these too.
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2009, 02:50 PM   #49
killer71

Nice Work! Lots of hard work there and you don't seem a bit intimidated. Keep it up!
Old 01-27-2009, 03:04 PM   #50
Prostreet 72
Prostreet 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer71 View Post
Nice Work! Lots of hard work there and you don't seem a bit intimidated. Keep it up!
Thankyou. I appreciate it.
Closed Thread