The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-01-2020, 08:56 PM   #1
conoco

wire cluster part help

Anyone know where I can find both of the plugs. I have a drain coming from somewhere and I think it might be here. Everything else wiring wise looks good, this is obviously melted. Can I get these plugs anywhere and just wire them back together?
Attached Images

conoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 08:57 PM   #2
conoco

Re: wire cluster part help

this is coming right behind my firewall by my brake booster.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:05 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by conoco View Post
Anyone know where I can find both of the plugs. I have a drain coming from somewhere and I think it might be here. Everything else wiring wise looks good, this is obviously melted. Can I get these plugs anywhere and just wire them back together?

That isn't melted. That is the sealer that is injected into the connector to keep moisture out. It is just coated with dirt and grime. If you take your fingernail and press on it I think you will find that it is soft.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 09:05 PM   #4
dmjlambert

Is that melted or is it just some of that goo they put on the back of them at the factory? You may be able to clean it up. If you pick the goo stuff off with a small screwdriver, you can clean it up. Here is a picture of mine, it has less of that stuff. It does come off reasonably easily.

You can squeeze the terminals gently and push them out the back of the plastic housing. Take pictures first so you know what color wires go where. Then clean it up thoroughly and inspect it and put it back together.

dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 09:07 PM   #5
conoco

maybe it is the goo, I am up on the oil fields but will check when I get home. I didn't spend to much time investigating. I bought the truck then left for work lol its been hard being up here knowing that a new toy is home. On the flip side I did order a bunch of new parts thank you for the help. I will post when I get home and let you know.
Old 01-02-2020, 11:07 AM   #6
rpmerf

Commenting on "Drain coming from somewhere."

Make sure your key is in the off position when you pull it out. With these old lock cylinders, it's not uncommon to be able to pull the key out in any position. It is not uncommon to accidentally turn it to ACC and pull it out.

Also look out for things connected to the lighter socket. This does not shut off with the vehicle.

You will want to do a parasitic load test.
Get an ammeter. Even the cheap one from Harbor Freight multimeter will do the job fine. Connect it for 10A.

Disconnect the ground from the battery. Touch one probe to the battery, one to the ground cable. This will show how much power is currently being drawn from the battery. It should be less than 50ma or 0.050 amps. These trucks do not have much that should be drawing power when off (no ecu, bcm, tcm), so it should be less than 10ma.

If it is more, start disconnecting things. I would start with disconnecting the voltage regulator and generator. If that does not fix the draw, start pulling fuses in the fuse block until the draw drops.

Once you have found what is causing the draw, you can fix or replace it.
1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z
rpmerf is offline   Reply With Quote