The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-22-2009, 02:21 PM   #1
marcsRX
68 C10 SWB

Budget build...

I have a 72 long bed fleet side.

I removed the bed and.... the frame in the rear is bent from an accident. Not too bad, but we're going to build a rear half anyway.

This is the plan.

Bags all around
Drum to Disc conversion (Front only)
Rear Half Frame rebuild

I'm trying to compile a complete list of parts, at least the major ones, that i need so i can determine the $ side of it. I've got about $2K to work with, and as it move along i will have some more $ to work with, and there always plastic.

Besides steel for the rear half, what do i need for a drum to disc conversion (front only for now) and bags all around. I'm not trying to do anything real exotic, just functional. I want to be able to tow, and the bags will help with keeping the truck level, while still being low.

My buddy is a good fabricator and he and a few others will be helping with the build.

Please help. Im a newb.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:23 PM   #2
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

Re: Budget build...

a 72 with drums?? better look again ..looks like you have some drop already....

if you buddy is a fab guy then buy your bags ...cup your stock lower control arms and fab up your rear suspention your done with $$ left in your pocket

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 05:46 PM   #3
marcsRX
68 C10 SWB

Yeah its a 72... According to the vin at least.

Drums @ all 4.

My main concern is going to disk brakes, getting the right spindles, rotors, calipers etc...
Old 12-22-2009, 05:50 PM   #4
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

theres a bunch of ways to go so use the search...I was under the impreesion that allt he 72's where disc???hmmmm??? but the cheap way is to get a 71 up set of spindles and parts?? I wanna follow this one....scratching my head now??
Old 12-22-2009, 05:52 PM   #5
marcsRX
68 C10 SWB

I'll snap some pics after work. Thanx for commenting!
Old 12-22-2009, 06:00 PM   #6
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

dumb question but are those 6 lug rallies?? cant really see from your pics..and the center caps have me all goofed up??? I think your truck may be a 70??? with a newer front clip??
Old 12-22-2009, 06:02 PM   #7
marcsRX
68 C10 SWB

dumb answer, i dont know.....

Im going to get some pictures and specs when i get home.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:41 PM   #8
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

LMAO you gotta love getting new stuff.....check the vin # on the door and glove box....I don't claim to be that smart about these things but..I'm scratching my head ???hurry up and go home !!!

Kool truck though either way....

heres mine with a 2 1/2" c notch ( home made) and cupped stock LCA ( again home made) the front is sitting on the shocks but since then I added a set of monroe 5758's ( from a 50 chysler) and the lca hits on the X member ( it added anothe 1" of drop) so the only thing left to drop it more is short headers to get the exhaust between the frame rails..and adding drop spindles....but that comes at a price like relocating hood hindges and doing something with the heater box...I dont thing that is going to happen...the inconveniance of it all and amount of work IMO isn't worth it..also the pumpkin is against the bed floor so any more ther and I loose the use of a flat bed floor....again something I'm not willing to sacrifice

Jeff

if you want to talk about it let me know and I can give you the skinny on the how to's pretty quick over the phone
Attached Images

Old 12-22-2009, 06:44 PM   #9
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

this pic will give you an Idea of the front stance I think the blue truck (mike hes a memeber here too) is stock but it may have a small drop...I'm not sure..the form next to it is another one of my project trucks and the tires are 35's on 18" rims...look at my avatar to see a it side by side
Attached Images

Last edited by Hottrucks; 12-22-2009 at 06:46 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:48 PM   #10
marcsRX
68 C10 SWB

Wow, lots of toys!

Thanx again for commenting. This thread is going to be a little bit of a documentary of what i start with, and end with. As well as all the work along the way. But it isn't really work right

Members of this board have been very friendly and generous
Old 12-22-2009, 06:59 PM   #11
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

here this may help yo about the brakes
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=374481

seems like I have asked allt eh question you are going to

cheaters drop

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=365237

heres my build I did it on a stupid low budget and the next one I do will be cheaper I have learned so much so no go backs

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=335721
Old 12-23-2009, 11:38 AM   #12
marcsRX
68 C10 SWB

Here you can see the drive shaft which is not where it should be.

Someone put a little too much weight in the bed...

There is a small ripple in the frame metal on the side it was hit from. It was hit from the passenger side rear.

Broken shock mount and cracked cross member.

Weeeeeeeeee, this is going to be fun.

Last edited by marcsRX; 12-23-2009 at 11:45 AM.
marcsRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:59 AM   #13
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

it looks like you have a major track bar issue????

can you shoot a pic from the back..maybe la a piece of 2x4 along the frame so we can see how bad it is..and a piece of tape or something to mark the bend....but since you are on a low budget we can fix it CHEAP

Old 12-23-2009, 12:24 PM   #14
marcsRX
68 C10 SWB

Ohh and BTW, you had me worried that maybe the VIN on the title and the VIN on the truck weren't going to match....

Well they do, and yes its a 72 with drums @ all 4...

Will try and get some better pics after work.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:14 PM   #15
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

5 or 6 lug.....I'm going to loose my hair from scratching my head so much...everytime I think I know something I get a curve ball???
Old 12-23-2009, 01:22 PM   #16
marcsRX
68 C10 SWB

I forgot to check, but i think its a 6 lug.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:48 PM   #17
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

you have somethng funky going on???( or I do??) I was planning a 72 front end and axle for a 5 lug convertion??? I wounder if it on a earlier frame?? I don't know????just guessing now?? I remember something about a frame vin # but I dont know where?? oh and the rear axle is wider after 70 also??? so I have been told??
Old 12-28-2009, 11:28 AM   #18
marcsRX
68 C10 SWB

Got the doors, the hood, drivers side fender and inner fender, windshield, and bench out over the weekend.

Will post pics tonight...

It is in fact a 6 lug.

Last edited by marcsRX; 12-28-2009 at 11:28 AM.
marcsRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:04 PM   #19
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

this is killing me check out this info I found

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=2982530

there should be a vin on the frame on the drivers side ahead of the cab i believe.

compair it to the Vin# on the glove box/door.....6 lug drum is a pre 70 thing

Last edited by Hottrucks; 12-28-2009 at 12:07 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:35 PM   #20
mx574

about air bags like everything else is can get expensive. Many different brands of bags. I like Air Lift they are quality and pretty reasonably priced. Main thing is to see what the PSI rating is (which means how much air pressure they withhold and when towing is important). Since you friend is a good fabricator go to ***************** and get you brackets from them. there prices are close to everyone else but plates are thick and high quality. They make front upper plater and then you will have to get a round cup for the bottom front. for the rear i got away with just buying round flat plates for top and bottom of rear and made the rest. Obviously with air bag setup you need at least one compressor and one tank, and valves, usually 8 valves one for air in and one for air out on each corner. Abot the disc brake stuff you just need to search high and low. Might as well get drop spindles while yourdoing it. If you get lucky you can find them on craigslist or maybe at a swap mmeat in yourarea. Other than that brothertrucks, early classics, cpp, or performance online. Good luck.
mx574 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:54 PM   #21
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

I agree, someone swapped frames or cabs at some point. All '71/'72 C10's got 5 lug and front disc brakes. There was no option for them, it was standard and due to increased safety requirements.

You need to check the VIN that is on the frame, on the top of the frame under the driver side cab area. It might have a lot of gunk and you will need to scrape off but mine was there after cleaning. I am willing to bet $20 that the VIN there and the cab VIN don't match.

Good luck on your build.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:32 PM   #22
marcsRX
68 C10 SWB

so what happens if they dont match?
Old 12-28-2009, 03:29 PM   #23
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcsRX View Post
well first I will have to rub out the muscle in my arm from patting myself on the back get a hair transplant from scratching my head over this... then do what ever you are going to do to the truck....I can keep a secret but if you ever sell I would let the new owner know about it...around here there pretty leanyent about these things...

Old 12-28-2009, 07:20 PM   #24
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcsRX View Post
Unless your planning to sell your build at an antique auction or show at concourse de elegance at pebble beach the numbers matching thing shouldn't be an issue. You might need to check with your DMV? It's pretty common to swap frames, cabs, titles etc. I doubt you have a numbers matching setup. I have seen many of our model trucks with 73 up suspension but never seen anyone go back with drum brakes. (anythings possible!?) As far as adding the disk brakes, you will need at a minimum, spindles, calipers, rotors and pads. If you just want the 71-72 stock height style those are dirt cheap if you watch the part section here or craigslist. Since you said you want bags you may want to get drop spindles. They start around $260 I think.

Is your panhard bar still attached? I have seen the rear end creep over big time on these trucks with it unhooked. Keep us updated.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:16 PM   #25
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Is your panhard bar still attached? I have seen the rear end creep over big time on these trucks with it unhooked. Keep us updated.
I was thinking that to or maybe the bushings are gone