The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-27-2010, 07:34 PM   #1
Coreyterry

starter wont stop

so i tried to start my truck today, my problem is that when i turn the key to the off position it just keeps turning over. i changed the suliniod already and i triple checked my wires to see if any were crossed or melted and nothing i found was the cause. im thinking it might be the ignition switch but i dont want to open it up for fear that its going to fall apart on me. i was just wondering if anyone might have had or maybe having this same problem? if so is there any way to fix it without buying more parts?

thanks, coreyterry
Coreyterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:15 PM   #2
chaosdsr

Re: starter wont stop

You can check to see if the issue is the switch or a short in the ignition wiring a few ways. You can pull the power wire from the starter (the one at the big terminal) then hook the battery back up, once its hooked back up check the small wire on the s terminal, should be a purple wire but I may be wrong I am going off memory and see if it has power. If it does you either have a short on the ignition power circuit or the issue is at the switch. The R is for a bypass wire to go around the ballast wire so the coil gets full power while cranking, forget it if you have an HEI. Start there and let us know what you have. Oh if you dont have power on that wire with the key off its not the ignition or switch.
chaosdsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:21 PM   #3
chaosdsr

Oh and you might want to have this topic moved to a different area, the builds area isnt the greatest place for it.
chaosdsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:16 PM   #4
mcbassin
Still Learning

You could probably scotch your tires, make sure your in park and jumper across the switch to the hot leg on the starter with the key turned to the run position. It should turn the engine over, you will track down if it is the solenoid hanging or the switch sticking in the cab. good luck!

Mod should move this to the engine drivetrain section.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote