The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-11-2011, 03:26 PM   #1
c10fan

The Beginning of Project Silver Fox

Hey all i havent been here in a while and I also havent had time to work on my truck. I thought I was getting deployed and kinda put things off but I have some time now and will be getting my hands dirty as often as I can. Well that is the good news and now for the bad. the owner of the truck was my grandpa and he gave it to my little brother a few year ago because he was too ill to be left at home and I already was old enough to fend for myself. I traded my brother who is 16 a 99 dodge Ram for it it has been under a garage and driven every now and then since then. Well this last wednesday my grandpa went to the big car show in the sky and after a few days of mourning and getting things back in order I have decided to really put forward the effort to get the truck back in better shape. The truck runs fine but I want to start replacing things here and there and the first thing I want to replace is the radiator. I was wondering How many rows should my radiator have? I was looking at this site and I was wondering if any of there would be okay

http://www.discountautoradiator.com/...universal:0%29

Also he had another truck that was to far gone to repair but the seat of the truck was custom sewn and stuffed by my grandmother before she died. I wanted to know if I could put that seat in my 70 c10 Its all I had left of the truck that he took me places when I was little. If anyone has any ideas, pointers or anything else they want to help with let me know. the next thing that Im gonna do is pull the engine and replace all seals and plugs. probably knock the rust off it and repaint it. Im also looking for anyone that knows anything about air conditioners that were installed aftermarket cause it has one in it
c10fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:24 PM   #2
litew8

Re: The Beginning of Project Silver Fox

from Iowa! Sorry to hear about your Grandfather. I think our trucks are equiped with 2 row radiators. Not sure about the quality of additional rows. If you're just rebuilding the stock engine, a similar replacement would be fine - otherwise, I'd personally look into all aluminum (e.g. different than stock).

As for the seat, if it's from a similar year, should bolt right up. If I'm mistaken on any of the above, someone please correct me.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:23 AM   #3
c10fan

Well I talked to my dad about it last night and he said that more rows ewre better for keeping things cool especially during long drives, Im sure we all kinda knew that more is usually better but I was just curious if it was a big difference or if I could get the 2 row and be equally satisfied. The main thing that I want to do is get the engine cleaned up. The truck runs just fine but I do hear an exhaust leak coming from somewhere so I want to pull the enging and replace all the gaskets. I know there are wiring scheatics on this forum I am an electrician/ avionics technician and I am planning on building my own wire harnesses for the truck and making my own LED kit for the tail lights but that is way further down the road. if anyone here is from Austin Tx or the surrounding are and can modify a long bed to a short bed please let me know I would rather have someone who has done it before do it just let me know how far I have to dig in my pockets. I have friends that are sheetmetal technicians that could probably fix the very few places that have rusted through. also if anyone has done a frame off restoration and can point me to a book or something that will show me how to take the truck apart I would appreciate it. Im very good at taking stuff apart and putting it back together again I just need a little bit of a guide as I have never really dont much work on a truck before.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:20 PM   #4
litew8

I think you want to look at row width with the radiator if you go more than 2.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:27 PM   #5
c10fan

ok then. so how is your build going? I saw that you took it all apart how long did it take you to do that
Old 09-12-2011, 12:41 PM   #6
litew8

Thanks for asking. My build is currently waiting on a my brother's garage. He's the one that did most of the tear down. He's an x body guy though so it helped a lot, and an air ratchet. He just got in there and tore the front clip down in a few hours. The bed another few. I may be exaggerating by saying a "few" hours, it was probably 1 or 2. If I remember right, the front bumper had to come off before the fenders would. Good thing about our trucks, they are simple tough.

Here's some FAQ about radiators.
FAQ - GENERAL RADIATOR & COOLING

Last edited by litew8; 09-12-2011 at 12:51 PM.
litew8 is offline   Reply With Quote