The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2011, 01:13 PM   #1
83c10wit454

Bag position??

So what is better, bag over axle, in front, or behind axle. I see alot of guys running different setups and want to know what the difference is. Im running a step notch and trailing arms. Would really appreciate some advice before i go welding. Thanks
83c10wit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:45 PM   #2
kieth

Re: Bag position??

A lot depends on how low you want to go. If you want to go lower than the 4.5" between the trailing arm and the frame then you will have to go over the axle or behind it. that will gain you an additional 4.5" of drop, but your front end and what stance you want will determine what you need. If you add 2x2" drop blocks between your trailing arm and rear axle you may be able to live with placing the bag in the stock coil spring location. Kieth
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:04 PM   #3
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieth View Post
A lot depends on how low you want to go. If you want to go lower than the 4.5" between the trailing arm and the frame then you will have to go over the axle or behind it. that will gain you an additional 4.5" of drop, but your front end and what stance you want will determine what you need. If you add 2x2" drop blocks between your trailing arm and rear axle you may be able to live with placing the bag in the stock coil spring location. Kieth
Quick question.... The OP's avatar & user-name suggests an 83 year model truck which never came w/trailing arms. Are you taking this into consideration when making your suggestions?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:29 PM   #4
AirbagitAaron
Account Suspended

It all depends on what you use your truck for.

Placing the bag directly over the axle is the strongest and is what I recommend for any truck that tows. If you put the bag behind the axle you can drop farther, but the weight of the truck is essentially trying to "twist" the axle out of its mounts, and will wear your 4 link or trailing arms faster. If you put the bag on a link or trailing arm, you can gain travel but decrease how much weight the bag can support. This also accelerates the wear on the links too.
AirbagitAaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:03 PM   #5
83c10wit454

Sorry should have been more specific but it's a 72 I'm working on. And their won't be any towing done, but it does have a mild big block but just for cruising. I already have the over the axle mounts, are their any draw backs to those?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-16-2011, 07:14 PM   #6
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83c10wit454 View Post
Sorry should have been more specific but it's a 72 I'm working on. And their won't be any towing done, but it does have a mild big block but just for cruising. I already have the over the axle mounts, are their any draw backs to those?
They take up more real estate above the rear end housing which can infringe on bed space.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 11-16-2011, 07:28 PM   #7
AirbagitAaron
Account Suspended

How low do you want your truck to be? Are you notching the frame?
AirbagitAaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:28 PM   #8
83c10wit454

Yes it the frame is already step noched, so there should be no bed clearance issues since a big chunk has to come out anyways.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-16-2011, 10:36 PM   #9
SCOTI

Since it's already step notched & you have the 'over the axle' mounts, run them w/a rolling sleeve style bag (Firestone F9000 series).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 11-17-2011, 12:01 PM   #10
83c10wit454

Well i already have ss-7 bags to.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:05 PM   #11
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Quote:
Well i already have ss-7 bags to.
The problem you're going to have with using these bags on top of the axel is ride quality. They will work just fine, but the rolling sleeve bag will provide a better ride and usually that's a big deal to most since one of the big advantages of a air ride system is the ride quality.

Got any pics of the suspension?
Old 11-18-2011, 11:51 AM   #12
83c10wit454

Ya ive been reading around and i think i am gonna hafta get some sleeve bags for the back. But i also have slams for the front to. Ive heard its not good to run different bags like that. Will it be bad to run slams on front and sleeves out back?

And sorry no pics yet. Just a rusty frame with a bad a$$ pb crossmember and trailing arms and qar notch with no bridge yet.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:03 PM   #13
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Not at all...it's done all the time. If you have a full blown Porterbuilt front and rear ride, you'd be running convoluted bags (like the slams) up front and a sleeve bag (like the firestones) out back. Good luck with the build and start taking/posting some pics!
Old 11-18-2011, 12:08 PM   #14
SCOTI

Quote:
Ya ive been reading around and i think i am gonna hafta get some sleeve bags for the back. But i also have slams for the front to. Ive heard its not good to run different bags like that. Will it be bad to run slams on front and sleeves out back?

And sorry no pics yet. Just a rusty frame with a bad a$$ pb crossmember and trailing arms and qar notch with no bridge yet.
Did you inquire specifically to whomever you heard the info regarding 'different' bags? Not good to run a different size? Type? Brand?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG