The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2011, 02:30 PM   #1
popfizzle

Not my normal build. (69 longbed)

So,

I am new here and figured I would show you guys what I am working on. I picked up a 1969 c10 longbed in a trade for a 1996 golf vr6 I had laying around. I got the truck because I always wanted a '69, as I remembered them fondly from growing up in Cookeville TN - we used to have them all over the place and I loved the front grill and the way the headlamps with covers looked "lazy".

I am a VW guy at heart and prior to the tornadoes and hail storms here in Knoxville I owned a 1986 Scirocco 16v I built painstakingly from the ground up. I was unfortunate enough to have left it outside the night before and didn't have time before the storm to get it to my friends garage - not that it would have made much of a difference since the hail was large enough to drive its way through metal roofing.

Here is a pic of the 'rocco for those interested - it was totaled in the storm and leaves a very large gaping hole in my heart still nearly a year later. I tried to salvage the car but with water damage and all the broken parts that are no longer available, it was a lost cause. I took the insurance money and sold it.

So, I ended up trading a golf for this truck to a guy from Owensboro KY - I know none of the history on this truck but really like it (even though by my standards this is a rough place to start) and it needs parts.

This is the truck on the lift at the shop getting the initial "what's up" look from my and the little guy:

when I got it home it was entirely too hard to steer, even for a manual steering truck. I ripped the wheels off to find pieces of bearings loose in both sides.

The previous owners of this truck have put some decent stuff on it, but I plan on going a different route all together than what they had planned I believe.

I want to put the truck back together as stock as possible and then do air. I know - it is done entirely too often, but on a truck like this I figure it is something new and fun. I have went fast - now I want to go fast(ish) and be able to haul firewood. I may eat these words, but I am not cutting the bed floor because I want to use it to haul.

a few more pics for the time being:

Old 12-08-2011, 09:42 PM   #2
popfizzle

Re: Not my normal build. (69 longbed)

So, this is the current powerplant. Pardon the fuzzy bad image, but it is a 283 with edelbrock intake and cam, claimed to be mildly built and I have no reason to believe otherwise. I am tickled that it starts so well - 2 pumps and she fires right up.

I have an option available to me to swap this motor in:

This is my friend (the little guy's) 406 built by High Velocity Heads here in TN - I have the spec sheet and this is a motor built for 400hp. I will upload the build sheet tomorrow. In the same shop is the trans I believe I will be going with, which is a th400 (built by one of the guys in our shop) and a rear end to support the added power.

When we opened up the passengers side door it darn near fell off the truck. I got a spare set of doors from the previous owner, but I have no clue how to swap the windows out so for the cost of 35 dollars per door the Pull-A-Part option will most likely be the way to go.

The truck also came with a extra set of tinted glass windows for the cab, but I don't feel like I would benefit from it and will most likely give it away.

Also, I have a 67 fender on the drivers side and a 70(?) grill because the PO decided to try and tow the truck by the grill (I know, genius right?). I have to get these things changed asap - because the thing I love the most about this model is the grill and lights. I have started the process of finding the covers to make them look sleepy and a set of crosshair lights in the right size to fit these trucks (a carryover from my vw addiction).

Old 12-08-2011, 09:48 PM   #3
popfizzle

Currently a hood is in order - as this one has a small rust spot (note the sarcasm)

I thought about doing the rusty / patina look, but this truck just doesn't have that kind of look to me. Also, there is rust I want to repair and address - so I will be doing some rust repair and patching.

I also have some pretty serious rust above the windshield that I will need to find a way to repair - if anyone has any input on that I would greatly appreciate it, as the rust isn't on the outside of the truck cab, but on the inside at the top of the windshield all the way across. Is this a repairable location, or am I going to want to find a good cab?

I have very minimal rust though for this truck to me 40 years old.

I am excited about this thing and hope I am approaching a build thread in the correct manner. I built the rocco from the ground up before I ever knew much about build threads, so if I am way off mark let me know.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:04 PM   #4
trkfrk

Looks like your off to a GREAT start.... Welcome to the board. I will be watching your progress. Good luck.

1972 C10 SWB LS1/T56 6 speed trans/4:56 posi with 5.5"-7" static drop/Boss 338 Wheels 18"x20"

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=424609.

My first start up http://youtu.be/R899YQ1OcjU
trkfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:41 PM   #5
popfizzle

Thanks!

I am looking into the other builds and I believe I am going more towards a 73 up crossmember and discs - because manual drums are ok, but the allure of discs and power brakes are too hard to resist.

Quick question to anyone reading - what power steering box can I use on this?
Old 12-09-2011, 04:17 PM   #6
popfizzle

This is the rust that has me questioning the need for a new cab.

is this fixable? I mean, fixable in terms of worth it to spend time and effort, or just find a new cab?

I have done some more work on brakes and spindles - I will be keeping drums for a while and the bearing put some pretty nasty grooves in the spindle - so I picked up this gem at pull a part :

and got to work pulling apart the rest of the mess and putting new studs in.

I took both sides apart and the drums look thin - I believe it may be a good time to do power brakes and swap in a new set of front drums - just to freshen things up a bit since I am already this far in. I have been having trouble sourcing new parts and it is painstaking to find the right seals for the bearings since we don't do much Chevy work - but I am gimping along for the moment.

Some more pics of the truck I took show that it has longtube headers and a decent exhaust under it. It seems to be quiet enough for me so I think I am going to keep it this way, although the large round side exits may turn into turndowns underneath since I feel like it will just burn the heck out of my leg later if I don't.

Another gem of a modification from a few ownes back was the shifter. I have no clue what this is out of, but it is going away for a new pretty shifter - a friend has a Lokar teardrop to put in, and it will look much better IMHO.

The coolant overflow and fans had been changed as well as radiator - note the use of a liquor bottle by the PO as a catch can. I will be swapping this out for a more OE look - Again, I like the way these old trucks look and I feel like taking it back to an original look is just the right thing to do for this old girl. I can tell she hasn't been loved much and needs some pampering.

That is all for now - I hope someone is enjoying this. Things are going to start getting a little more in depth very soon when the fenders come loose and wrenches start to fly. The welder and plasma are in the floor next to it now
Old 12-10-2011, 09:18 PM   #7
popfizzle

My truck came off the rack today for the first time in a week. We did front wheel bearings, shocks, control arms, ball joints and cleaned / lubed everything on the chassis.

I am looking forward to having it rolling around the shop again.

Next step is the removal of the front end and replacing sheet metal. I have seen aftermarket fenders and all of the metal for sale on websites and in restoration magazines. Most of the builds here seem to use factory metal - I was wondering why - but can only assume the new stuff is of lesser quality.

I know this is boring to this point - but I am really doing the small stuff first. I removed the glovebox door and if it could talk oh the tales it would tell. I sanded about 6 layers of paint / designs off the thing and then finally got down to metal. I have it and the rest of the pieces of the truck I have removed sanded or sandblasted and primed.

I am working on the thing slowly but surely. I will keep whoever is reading posted - I am enjoying pulling the pieces off! Hopefully this will pay off.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:36 PM   #8
popfizzle

So, I have picked the color the truck is going to get painted for now. I have decided on rustoleum flat brown. I have done the rustoleum paint job before with excellent results, and if done correctly a panel at a time (which I will be doing) it looks great.

I really love the pictures of the trucks you guys post and have been in love with the brown color for a long time now. I am looking forward to seeing how this comes out.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:47 PM   #9
1970ChevyChamp

Nice truck, keep the updates coming! did you ever get any advice on the rust in the cab? I have the same problem in my '70 and was hoping their was a way to fix it without getting a new cab. Any tips much appreciated!
1970ChevyChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:35 AM   #10
wild4wheels

Welcome to the board! Had a black Scirocco back in the day, fun car, in fact, wife and Is first date was in that car.. heater went out, had to scrape the ice off the INSIDE of the windows..thats all I will say about that .. hehe Dig the truck, trust me, it will be the first of many!

Current truck
"Ida Mae" 71 K5 Blazer

Former Trucks
"Loretta" 71 Longbed (AZ)
"Tanya" 69 Stepside (AZ)
"Ferdinand" 71 Longhorn (SD)
"Patches" 67 Panel (IA/ KY)
"Rosita" 68 C30 (KY)

Instagram @Wildforwheels @k5_klub @c10university

Profile pic provided by Jeff Sundance
wild4wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:49 AM   #11
popfizzle

So,

I have not heard anything on the rust being a death sentence. I am going to hold out and have a buddy who is a magician with bodywork look at it. If bad comes to worse, I can take my battery powered sawzall to a parts truck in the yard and cut an entire window frame section out. I figure the cab front is not too terrible to cut out.

With Christmas coming, this will be a fun time to make things happen!
Old 12-12-2011, 04:33 PM   #12
popfizzle

upon further inspection the springs have been heated and the rust in the cab although rough is not terminal. Apparently it is from water getting in around the windshield seal, which is common in VW's as well - since I just resto'd a rocco, it isn't a far stretch to restore the cab on this. Fortunately, if I find a nice cab I can just remove and mount it to the frame in this case. This is a nice thing I couldn't do with the unibody car.

Anywho - this thing is coming together nicely. I am in the process of finding some coil springs to replace the heated ones as they are super saggy. I think a set of bags is the way to go ultimately but until the right setup comes along I need something to support the truck.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:49 AM   #13
popfizzle

Ordered a Power brake booster bracket from ebay, and found a master cylinder at a buddy's yard. Hoping it works out for me to finally have power brakes.

I also decided I am going to Pull a Part a passenger side door complete and sell the spare doors that came with the truck - they are a nice set of yellow doors that someone else could use - with tinted glass uninstalled. I really didn't like the idea of having to order seals since I am not ready for paint yet but do need the truck sealed from the weather.

Also looking at wheels to replace the set on the truck as they are in use with spacers to make them fit flush and I would like a lower profile tire and bigger wheel combo.

This weekend - Strip the interior down and blast the cab insides - then repaint with the body color I am going with. Bodywork buddy is helping me cut the roof off of the truck from A pillar over to body line at back window - we are going to basically put a cap on it and remove the rust that way. I will be in need of a windshield but am OK with that since the glass is cloudy. Rear glass should come out easily so that isn't a problem we foresee. Will keep updated with pics for anyone interested - I know this isn't a dropmember build or something flashy so I appreciate the people who are keeping up with it.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:38 AM   #14
95Econobox

Love the way you think Popfizzle, i have a 95 VW passat that i daily and im getting ready to begin bringing my 1970 C10 back to life.

we could be friends.

Beautiful rocco, always loved those cars. Good lookin truck too.
95Econobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:09 PM   #15
popfizzle

So!

I got the truck home again last night, parked in the driveway and thought to myself - this 283 and th350 combo isn't going to cut it. I love the way the truck feels, and the powertrain moves it - but at truck speeds. I need fast truck speeds - and I want smoother more buttery ride and turns. Pictures of the solution to come.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:17 AM   #16
tvblazer78
Low & Fast!

Hey man, good to see you on here. this was my home online for about 4-5 years. if you need anything let me know and I can see what I can do. Alos look up http://tennesseeclassictruckclub.com/forum/ a lot of guys here in knoxville on that board that can help you with parts.

Later,
Trav
tvblazer78 is offline   Reply With Quote