The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-26-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
Matt300ZXT

Clutch compatibility question

I've got a 54 3100, got a 235 engine from a 55 Bel Air. I know I have to do the water pump adapter, drill the front plate, and use my 54 bellhousing to get it to mount into my truck like the original 54 engine. However, what flywheel/clutch/pressure plate setup do I need?

I'm curious if I can use the 3sp tranny that came with the 55 motor and the starter (if I have it still), or could I use the starter from the truck (if I still have it)? Just curious if you guys that are very knowledgeable on this can give me a setup on what I could/have to run. I'm looking to get the 235 actually setting between the frame rails rather than in my driveway taking up space.

I think I still have the clutch/pressure plate in good shape that was originally on the 55 motor when I bought it so if I could throw those pieces back on but inside my 54 bellhousing, that'd be great as it'd save me from having to buy a clutch kit.
Matt300ZXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:02 PM   #2
GeorgeLeonard

Re: Clutch compatibility question

Ive been led to believe that the easiest way to do this is to just change the engine and use the transmission, bell housing, clutch assembly, etc from the 54. If that is not correct, I would also be interested in what would be the easiest way.
GeorgeLeonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:23 PM   #3
Matt300ZXT

Re: Clutch compatibility question

I figured it was that way but just thought I'd see if anyone could tell me from personal mix and match experience. I hope I still have the 3sp that came on the truck originally :-\
Matt300ZXT is offline   Reply With Quote