The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-23-2013, 12:05 AM   #1
wwillmon

need help picking out parts to drop my 73

So i just picked up my 73 swb c10. Im wanting it to sit lower and im torn between just dropping it or adding bags to it as well. Im new to the whole lowering of trucks so i have no idea where to start. Ive read and read and found a few places that sell full kits, but through my searching i have seen threads where some vendors will help you piece together a package for way cheaper that is probably better.

With that said im looking for someone to point me in the right direction of who to contact. I definitely want quality products but like i said i dont know enough about it to piece together a system, and i dont know what all components i need. So someone please help a newbie out!
wwillmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:14 AM   #2
marlo73

Re: need help picking out parts to drop my 73

Mcgaughys is what I used for my 2.5 drop spindle and then I use ground force 2 inch lowering coil also I purchased a shackle and hanger kit. Some people also use western chassis and djm. You have to have a plan or you will start wasting money Like I did with all that I brought the only thing that I still have on my truck is the spindles. Just look at some other trucks on forums and car shows to see how low they are ask how they ride because I put on all my parts and it wasn't low enough plus the drop springs road like crap. I spent a bunch of money on the shackle and hanger kit and yet the rear wasn't low enough for me plus it had a rack to it that I didn't like then I ended up buying a flip kit for like 30 bucks and I bagged the front and the ride is so much better plus it was a pain in the ass taking the hangers off the flip kit was simple.

Also eBay is good to get some of your lowering parts they do have the brand names as well check out Azproformance I think he is on this and c10 forum cool guy with lots of knowledge very good prices as well.

http://www.azproperformance.com/home.php

www.mcgaughys-suspension.com/
Posted via Mobile Device
marlo73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:32 PM   #3
wwillmon

Thanks for the reply? How low of a kit do you have? And if I don't go with bags what all do I need to just make it lower?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-23-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
marlo73

Some people when Lowering just cut springs it is a cheaper way to get low but not everyone has the same ride doing that those old springs or diffent in everyone's truck so some get a great ride with cut springs other's get a bouncy rough ride but you saved some dough lol. But I think the 4.5 in drop in the front is nice its kinda in between so that's achieved with 2.5 drop spindles and 2 inch coils also if you go with a 3 inch spindle's you might not fit a small rim such as 15" -16 inch some people have to grind the the arm down a little to clear the rim. But with the 2.5 I had no issues. But the cheapest and easiest way for back end I would do flip kit and if you want it a little lower add some shackles for a 1-2 inch more drop. Also get some shocks beltech nitro 2 are good but you might not need drop shocks just see how it rides when done.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #5
marlo73

Before bags with flip kit in rear

Posted via Mobile Device

Front is bagged now

Last edited by marlo73; 07-23-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:16 PM   #6
wwillmon

Thanks for the help! Its starting to get a little easier to understand, i still think i like the idea of bags though just because i like the real low look of these trucks but i could see myself wanting to raise it up at times as well.

Was it very hard to install your bags? and what bags and everything did you go with?
Old 07-25-2013, 05:42 AM   #7
marlo73

I have a lower cup and upper bag plate for the front very simple to install the hardest part of the whole thing was probably drilling through the upper spring pocket cross member to mount plate but it wasn't to bad as long as you get some good drill bits I used some harbor freight step bits and it was not bad. So with that kit you can get low but if you want to go lower then you have to cup the lower control arm its basically cutting out the bottom of the spring pocket on the lower control arm and adding in a 8-9 inch round pipe so that the bag can site lower in the pocket therefor would get a whole lot lower than the upper plate and cup kit just depends how low your trying to go I have 29s and I had to remove my inner fenders when aired all the way out I plan in getting some sheet metal and making some new later on down the line. And I'm using Dom 2600 bags.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device