The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > Heavy Haulers

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-28-2016, 01:06 PM   #1
rdauphinais

Split Rim Tire Change

Ok so my 72 gmc c5500 i nust picked up has the firestone rh-5 5* slpit rims. (The widowmakers) unfortunately the tires that are on it are like brand new, but they sat for so many years that most of them are cracked on the sidewall. Which up here in nh wont pass inspection. So my question (s) are:

What are my options?
Where would i buy some 22.5's or 19.5's? If i want to spend that much.
Has anyone here changed a tire on this type of split rim before? Is it that difficult?
Forgive me for sounding ignorant, but i have alot of experience with rims and tires, and the split ring type as well, but never touched one of these split "highly dangerous" rims ive heard so much about. I do have a tire cage if that makes a difference.
rdauphinais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:04 AM   #2
Popcorn W

Re: Split Rim Tire Change

Being old in age, and old school, I personally think the danger hype is overblown. I know these wheels are dangerous to a point. But you say you have a cage.
You always hear stories of injuries and deaths, but what percentage? And, I can't remember a story of injury by someone using a cage. I have heard stories about the rings coming off after the wheel was mounted. Personally I'd need to see proof of that to believe it though.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=659205
"I love the smell of grinding metal"
Popcorn W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:17 PM   #3
Gunslingertom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcorn W View Post
I have heard stories about the rings coming off after the wheel was mounted. Personally I'd need to see proof of that to believe it though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2exMOT0-9M

Unless something has changed, I'm pretty sure Federal DOT laws restrict the use of those rims.
I used to be a tire tech in '85-'86 and we were not allowed to put those rims back into service. Maybe it was company policy, but I'm almost positive it was Federal.
I never had one explode because I never aired one up, but I've had slit rings come off and tubes explode. A tube exploding inside a tire will cause nearly the same kind of damage. Tubeless tires are probably the best advance yet most underrated advance in automotive history. Although I've seen a tubeless tire explode and severely injure a mechanic at out diesel shop.
Gunslingertom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:05 PM   #4
Popcorn W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslingertom View Post
You didn't read what I posted. I said:
I can't remember a story of injury by someone using a cage. (There was no cage in that video you posted.)
and:
I have heard stories about the rings coming off after the wheel was mounted. Personally I'd need to see proof of that to believe it though.
I'm still waiting on that proof. Not saying it never happened. Just waiting for someone to prove it to me. I'm more than willing to eat my words if someone shows me proof.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=659205
"I love the smell of grinding metal"
Popcorn W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:19 PM   #5
donandal

"I have heard stories about the rings coming off after the wheel was mounted. Personally I'd need to see proof of that to believe it though"

Accident Report Detail

Accident: 690156 - Employee Killed In Split Rim Wheel Explosion

Accident: 690156 -- Report ID: 0552700 -- Event Date: 07/26/1991
Inspection Open Date SIC Establishment Name
111641197 07/31/1991 5399 Tiegen Shopping Center, Inc.
On July 27, 1991, the owner of a country general store was to deliver a load of bulk feed bins to some customers. Around 11:30 a.m. he asked Employee #1 and a coworker (his son and first cousin, both part-time employees) to secure the load on the Ford F500 truck and fifth wheel trailer. The owner relieved a store clerk for lunch until noon. The two employees secured the load as requested and then decided to fuel the truck and check the tires. The truck was driven across the road to the local Sinclair service station. To check the left rear tandem wheels for air pressure, Employee #1 obtained a pressure gauge from the station attendant. He proceeded to inflate the inner left tire, which had a split rim. It was quite low. The split rim exploded, causing the outer split rim locking ring to also explode. This 20 in. metal ring struck Employee #1 in the neck area, causing a spinal injury, neck vein puncture, and jaw damage. He was taken to St. Mary's Hospital in Rochester, where he died the next morning. Employee #1 had attended one year of a two-year course on diesel truck mechanics; the course instructor said that three films on tire safety had been shown that first year. Employee #1 was also a full time truck mechanic and had viewed a video tape on tire and rim safety with another employer.
Keywords: truck, wheel, tire, air pressure, multipiece rim wheel, explosion, flying object, struck by, neck, spine
Employee # Inspection Age Sex Degree Nature Occupation
1 111641197 Fatality Cut/Laceration Bus, truck and stationary engine mechanics