The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-20-2016, 03:59 PM   #1
houstonshark

Rebuild 4l65e?

My 52 5 Window has a 5.3 in it, 243 heads, LS6 intake, MS3 cam, etc. The motor apparently makes around 400rwhp. The 4l65e finally died on me after being rebuilt almost 6yrs ago. Apparently the Yank Pro converter and 4000 RPM stall are toast as are the majority of the internals of the 4l65e. The original build had Z-Pak clutches, upgraded sprag, Corvette servo and they added an external cooler (though my builder thinks it is about 1/3 the size it should be).

The tranny builder I am using is recommending a Precision converter and I think we are going to lower the stall to ~3500. Are there any parts that I should insist he use or at least inquire about?

My buddy keeps telling me to do a 4l80 and be done with it but I don't think the truck makes enough HP for that tranny and it would require rebuilding the trans tunnel in my truck, new crossmember, etc.

I'm not looking forward to spending almost $3k on this rebuild but he will warranty it for 2yrs, 24k miles. The truck gets driven fairly hard...it's difficult to keep your foot out of it!

Any input or suggestions on the rebuild would be greatly appreciated.
houstonshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 06:21 PM   #2
MMLX89

Re: Rebuild 4l65e?

I just bought one of these units. Really tough to beat price wise, and great people to work with.

http://www.geareduptransmissions.com/products/g-2-4l65e
MMLX89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:41 PM   #3
clinebarger

If you have a Yank Pro Series, Have it rebuilt & Re-Stalled by Yank, No reason in the world too buy a all new converter when you already bought a $900 Converter from a good builder like Yank that has a Billet Front Cover. And if you did want too buy a new one.....Use Circle D, Their in Houston......

Ditch the Z-Pack! This is what I use.....
7 Friction Set-up...
7 Borg Warner .080" High Energy Frictions.
6 .077" Kolene Threated Steels.
3-4 Apply Plate GM# 8685044
3-4 Backing Plate GM# 24212460
Stock .093" Snap Ring

Sonnax Performance Pack, https://www.amazon.com/Sonnax-Perfor...rformance+pack

Sonnax Smart Shell, https://www.amazon.com/Sonnax-Smart-...ax+smart+shell

Sonnax HD 2-3 Shift Valve, https://www.amazon.com/Sonnax-HD-2-3...-3+shift+valve

Sonnax Input Drum Reinforcement Sleeve Kit, Also on Amazon (My internet is glitchy right now)

A 4L80E will fit where a 300mm 4L60E was in most cases (Tunnel Wise), The crossmember isn't usually hard....Depending on how it's set-up.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:50 PM   #4
houstonshark

Any idea what Yank would charge to rebuild the converter and about how long their turn around time is? My builder is calling Circle D tomorrow to see what they have available.

He showed me the internals of the tranny this afternoon and apparently it was completely stock except the Z-Pak (he hates them too and recommended the same Borg Warner). It also only had the 4 gear planetary, instead of 5 like the 4l65 comes with.

I'm surprised the tranny stayed together for 6yrs, under fairly heavy abuse.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:17 PM   #5
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonshark View Post
Any idea what Yank would charge to rebuild the converter and about how long their turn around time is? My builder is calling Circle D tomorrow to see what they have available.

He showed me the internals of the tranny this afternoon and apparently it was completely stock except the Z-Pak (he hates them too and recommended the same Borg Warner). It also only had the 4 gear planetary, instead of 5 like the 4l65 comes with.

I'm surprised the tranny stayed together for 6yrs, under fairly heavy abuse.
I let customers send their Yank Converters off as I'm not a Yank Dealer, Turn around time depends on how busy they are at the time, Just about any performance converter shop is this way, Call them & find out (Have your original invoice if handy)

It was probably never a 4L65E.....Very common to get sold a 4L60E instead, 4-pinion planets WILL handle what your putting out if their in good shape, 99% of Planet Failures are caused by Torrington Bearing Failures/Lubrication issues.

Stock Output Shafts break far more often than 4-Pinion Carriers when putting power to the ground.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:31 PM   #6
houstonshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinebarger View Post
I let customers send their Yank Converters off as I'm not a Yank Dealer, Turn around time depends on how busy they are at the time, Just about any performance converter shop is this way, Call them & find out (Have your original invoice if handy)

It was probably never a 4L65E.....Very common to get sold a 4L60E instead, 4-pinion planets WILL handle what your putting out if their in good shape, 99% of Planet Failures are caused by Torrington Bearing Failures/Lubrication issues.

Stock Output Shafts break far more often than 4-Pinion Carriers when putting power to the ground.
Thanks! Not much power gets put to the ground running 215 radial white walls. When the trans isn't slipping, the tires break loose at just about any speed.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:40 PM   #7
houstonshark

I was able to pick up a Circle D Pro Series Stage II Billet converter from a buddy for free. It was used for a week or two before he burned up the 3-4 clutch packs in his 4l60 (and subsequently swapped it for a 4l80).

http://www.circledspecialties.com/p-...converter.aspx

I brought it to Circle D this morning, thinking I would just have them clean and drain it. After looking at the fluid, they recommended rebuilding it to make sure none of the clutch debris damaged anything. What is really cool is that they are doing it for free since it was built less than a year ago.

With my setup, they expected it to flash around 3500-3600. Texas Speed recommends 3500 min. for the MS3 cam. This should make it a little more tame for cruising around the neighborhood with my kids, yet still put a big grin on your face when you lay into it!

Ultimately it was determined that the Yank converter grenaded itself. I'm sure heat had a lot to do with it, especially since it was just discovered that the cooler was clogged and only flowing at about 40%.

The newly built and upgraded trans, along with this Circle D converter should make a huge difference in the truck's performance and reliability.

Last edited by houstonshark; 06-23-2016 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:34 PM   #8
clinebarger

Your going too LOVE that Converter! It will deliver better drivability on the street compared to a 9.5" Yank.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:17 PM   #9
houstonshark

Picked up the converter from Circle D today. Can't wait to get her back together!