The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2023, 05:04 PM   #1
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Exclamation Question on Replacing Cab/Radiator Mounts

I got in my full body mount kit from GMC Paul's, which included the bed bolts and pads for the bed. All in one kit in different bags, no descriptions, no part numbers, so guessing needing to be done.

The bed/pads were easy, put them to the side - may never use them.

Front Radiator mounts pretty easy too as I was able to build up two mounts from another bag (had carriage bolts and square washers). Interesting there was no inner sleeves, I assume there should be sleeves?

The last bag I seem to have some extra parts (see photo) but for sure contain the front/rear cab mounts. I wonder if the extra parts are radiator mounts but there were no bolts... but there are sleeves.

I have done the driver sider, photos of each attached. Cab was a snap. The radiator not so much. That nub took me forever and it only came off after I heated it up with my hobby torch until it was super hot.
Attached Images

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim

Last edited by Rich72C10; 08-12-2023 at 07:43 PM.
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 05:11 PM   #2
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Re: Question on Replacing Cab/Radiator Mounts

This is the stand-alone photo of the Radiator Mount from GMC Paul's web site - which is what I got in one of the bags, minus the sleeves. So there are supposed to be sleeves...

The GMC Paul's photo for the full kit doesn't work and that is annoying to be honest.
Attached Images

Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Old 08-13-2023, 09:32 AM   #3
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCPaul's-BarbEmail
It appears that the warehouse included in error the 4x4 radiator mounting cushions with the kit you received instead of just the 2wd radiator mounting cushions only.

Which would be the 4 smaller cushions in your photo labeled extra and the steel spacer sleeves required for the 2wd or 4wd drive radiator mounting cushions you state are missing are sitting on top of those 4x4 radiator mounting cushions in your photo.

We normally do not work weekends but do so when required to keep caught up.
Heard back from Barb... not that I am totally clear what is what. It was great I got a early Sunday reply, just wished I was less confused.
  • I "think" the bag of radiator mounts I have (missing sleeves) are for 2wd
  • I "think" the mounts that were included in my Cab mounts are for 4wd.
  • I "think" the smaller sleeves are interchangeable between the 2wd & 4wd drive mounts.

I hope so, since that is how I actually installed the driver's side radiator mounts and about to do on the passenger side.

Old 08-13-2023, 10:07 AM   #4
Getter-Done

That great that you got a response back.
Especially on a Sunday.

Other than not being labeled, Do you like the quality of them?
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 10:32 AM   #5
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCPaul's-BarbEmail
TThe short sleeves that were placed in the package with the cab mount parts were supposed to be placed in the 69-72 Radiator Mounting Kit and were just placed in wrong package.

The 4 additional bushings that were in the cab mount kit are for the 69-72 4x4 Radiator Mounting Kit and were included in error and are not needed.

The photo from our website is of the 69-72 2 wheel drive radiator support kit and from what you described had everything in it EXCEPT the steel spacer sleeves which were placed in cab mount kit bag in error.

The 2wd & 4wd Radiator Mounting Steel Spacer Sleeves ( The Short Sleeves) use the same steel spacers sleeves for 2 or 4 wheel drive radiator mounts. So you received everything required and 4 extra bushings for a 4X4 Radiator Mounting Kit. Hope you have a nice weekend.
Got a follow up, so I read her original reply correctly - so I have extra 4wd cushions & washers. I suppose I'll offer those up for free on the parts board (plus shipping) at some point.

@Getter-Done - all I can really say is they are better than what I took off! They seem a wee little smaller and of a slightly different design, especially the rear upper cab cushions. The original upper rear cab has a hour glass design to it, where the replacement are all the same, like a hockey puck.

I just about have it together but I need to redo the toque driver's front bolt as I need to take it to 70 ft-lbs. So I have to pull the carpet again - ugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCPaul View Post
Also found in the GM Shop Manuals, the body mounts for cab are found in section 1 Conventional cab section
Radiator torque specs found in the same manual but section 11 Sheet metal and located in the installation instructions for front sheet metal assembly.

Correct torques are
  1. radiator 33'lbs,
  2. front cab 70-90'lbs,
  3. rear cab 35-55'lbs
A range is provided for the cab body in order to perfect body lines, if body lines can not be adjusted to within = or - 1/8" then the use of body shims under floor above top bushing should be used, when adjusting body lines also keep a eye on the door to fender gap as it can change also with varying torque & use of body shims.

Paul Jr @ GMCPauls

Old 08-13-2023, 11:58 AM   #6
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Test drive complete! Cab didn't fall off, so that's good news. No new nosies, nice ride through my test road (crappy / bumpy / lots of turns). I think the odd hum I get around 35~45 might be improved too but might be wishful thinking too. Once I returned I quick checked of all the bolts / nuts and toque is still where I put it.

Photo of old mounts. Not only did my driver's side lower radiator cushion fall off on my garage floor, the passenger's side lower radiator cushion was missing too.

I think cushion mount job done! YAY Me!
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2023, 09:26 AM   #7
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Just like to say:
During the install of the cushions I got frustrated with the parts GMC Paul's sent. It was a honest mistake from their warehouse - this stuff happens at any parts supplier. GMC Paul's is a superb parts supplier for our trucks and I would not think twice ordering from them again. Heck, their little mistake is actually helping another member here with their 4x4 (seems bad/poor parts from LMC - as if that is a surprise).

One may say I got lucky getting a response on Sunday - I think that is just the way they roll on their days off while dealing with housekeeping stuff.