The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1967-1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-07-2023, 06:06 PM   #1
pjmoreland

OE Gauge Cluster Lenses Custom-Printed for 8000 RPM Tach & Vacuum

The 8k tach and vacuum text were direct-printed onto these OEM lenses by a local shop. I designed these because I don't like how the text looks on the reproduction lenses for the 8k tachometer conversion kits. Their font is wrong, and their numbers aren't aligned well with the tach. Also, they apply the text and green paint both on the back of the lens, but the green paint was applied to the front of the lens on the originals. This makes the reproduction lenses not light up as well at night.

For this design, I scanned an OE 5k tach and vac lens and used CAD software to trace the characters and set the spacing to align with the 8k tach. I borrowed the missing 6, 7 and 8 numbers from a scan of the speedometer.

The text was direct-printed on an industrial printer that is normally used for making things like signs or ID cards. They did a good job of matching the color of the original text. The ink is applied in two layers on the back of the lens. The first layer is green, and then it is sealed in by a white layer that helps keep it from looking washed out, and it helps with long-term durability.

Before printing, the original dummy gauge graphics on the OE lens is removed with a small polishing wheel. Minor waviness in the surface of the lens is left behind from where the graphics were removed. It is possible to see it a little bit if you get light reflecting at just the right angle.

If you have a 5k tachometer already and you want to convert to an 8k, then all you need is one of these lenses and the 8k tach. You can buy just the tach from npdlink.com. if you need tach/vac tins, member 70shortfleet can modify your originals. He does amazing work.

I have two lenses for sale at this time. The first one has both the 8k tach and VACUUM text printed on it. This lens was the prototype, so we used a lens that isn't in the greatest shape. It has some small vertical cracks in it in the lower portion of the tach area. Also the lens face has the typical swirl marks from being cleaned many times over the last 50+ years. I did not do any polishing on the front side of this lens.

The second lens is one of the nicer lenses I had to pick from out of a selection of 8 OE lenses. It isn't perfect, and does have some light swirl marks on the front. Also, this one does ***not*** have VACUUM printed on it.

I also have a new reproduction lens for sale. These are not available for sale individually from vendors. They are sold as part of a kit.

Prototype 8k Tach/Vac Lens, OE $60 Shipped
8k Tach Lens (no Vac), OE $100 Shipped
8k Tach Lens, Reproduction $60 Shipped
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 06:09 PM   #2
pjmoreland

Re: OE Gauge Cluster Lenses Custom-Printed for 8000 RPM Tach & Vacuum

Here's the prototype 8k Tach/Vac lens
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2023, 06:11 PM   #3
pjmoreland

Here's the nicer 8k tach (no vacuum) OE lens
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2023, 06:12 PM   #4
pjmoreland

Here's what the custom-printed OE 8k lenses look like with the dash lights turned on.
Attached Images

Last edited by pjmoreland; 12-08-2023 at 12:24 AM.
Old 12-07-2023, 06:13 PM   #5
pjmoreland

Here's the Counterpart reproduction 8k lens.
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2023, 08:49 AM   #6
1970cstblazer
All stock and staying that way

Thumbs up Re: OE Gauge Cluster Lenses Custom-Printed for 8000 RPM Tach & Vacuum

Thank you for fixing one of Counterpart's f$%^ ups. Not only are their fonts and alignment wrong, but they made the whole thing too busy with the extra numbers, which are totally unnecessary.
1970 K/5 Blazer CST 4WD, Bronze, 93k ACT. miles, 350, 4 speed, positraction, 16.5" x 8.25" wheel option, tilt, tach, vacuum, AM/FM, manual throttle...Dad ordered and purchased new 4/70. Currently frame off restoration in progress...

1972 Cheyenne Super 20 2WD, DK Blue/White, 90K ACT. miles, 402, TH400, 4.10 open, tilt, tach, vacuum, A/C, AM/FM, manual throttle.. A mostly original paint never rusted Texas survivor...

2017 Sierra 1500 SLT 4WD, Black, 41k miles, 5.3, 6L80E, 3.42 LS, 20" polished wheels, everything but moonroof and 6.2...

2019 Canyon SLT 4WD, White, 60k miles, 3.6, 8L45, 3.23 LS, 18" wheels
1970cstblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 11:48 AM   #7
pjmoreland

I suppose the smaller set of in-between numbers could be polished off the Counterpart lens.