The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-16-2015, 11:20 AM   #1
Street Smart

Thumbs up Buying a 1949 Chevy Pickup without a VIN?

I have a customer that bought a half done `49 project. Only came with a Bill of sale because truck doesn't have a vin plate or an engine. The shop that had it (a reputable shop) tells him it was removed years ago before the meteor blasting and now is lost. Truck hasn`t been registered in over 20 years. What are our options?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...=74049&cat=500
Street Smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 12:21 PM   #2
1project2many

Re: Buying a 1949 Chevy Pickup without a VIN?

Someone should make a sticky about this. There are only a few ways to go that are "legit." You'll need to check with NY DMV. Depending on the situation the customer may be able to get a VIN assigned after an inspection by law enforcement. Your customer might also be able to get a bonded title. If the truck is not original then the truck owner should have a paper trail for as many major components as possible. There are plenty of title discussions here for reading:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=281559

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=369515

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=326488

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=641015

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...hevytrucks.com
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 12:39 PM   #3
OrrieG

Agree on the sticky...
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 01:57 PM   #4
iowaboynca

mr48chev had a brilliant post.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671150
Old 12-16-2015, 04:54 PM   #5
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
Someone should make a sticky about this.
Problem is, it would take 50 different instructions for each state.
Basically it comes down to: Check with your state DMV.
And, these kind of posts often lead to non-legal suggestions and end up getting closed.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 05:23 PM   #6
HUSSEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 & 64 bowties View Post
problem is, it would take 50 different instructions for each state.
Basically it comes down to: check with your state dmv.
and, these kind of posts often lead to non-legal suggestions and end up getting closed.
I don't see one for thumbs up so I'll just use this one...

Last edited by HUSSEY; 12-16-2015 at 05:53 PM.
HUSSEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 05:41 PM   #7
Street Smart

Thanks for your help everyone!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...=74049&cat=500
Street Smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 05:58 PM   #8
mr48chev

Yep as the others said, every state is different. It's also best to start as high up the ladder of your state's dmv as you you can.

Have your documentation ready to go.
That means every bill sale or receipt for every major component or the paper trail on the major components if you used a donor for say a 350/350 and ten bolt out of a 75 Camaro that you bought off Craigslist and then sold the hulk with the title to the local scrap yard after you stripped it. Copy of title and the weight/pay out slip from the scrap yard noting that you hauled it in with the title. That's called "yes he/she legally owned it and yes there is proof". That would also include similar paperwork for an S-10 chassis as the day is assuredly When someone will pop up on here shedding tears because that AD truck with the S-10 chassis that they just spent 20K on got impounded by the state because the chassis they bought off craigslist came from a back yard chop shop that got busted for selling Stolen parts.

I have seen guys who say they don't want their wives to find out what they spent. Three hobbies that you don't need to be in if you are afraid your wife will find out what you spent are Hot rods or custom cars, Guns and fishing. Doesn't mean that you have to make a big deal out of what you spent but if you are worried that you wife will find out what you spent you spent more than your budget allows for.

On the missing door post tag it was all too common in the 70's for home hobby guys and shops to remove that tag when paint and body work was being done on one of these trucks or any other vehicle with a tag riveted on and no one thought much of it. Now guys are having to pay the piper after the trucks have changed hands and some times states a half dozen or more times and may even be built from a mix and match of parts gathered from many different sources.

I still think that the bonded title, assembled vehicle title assigned vin title you get from your state based on your documentation trumps any phonied up title you get from one of those easy title vendors that charge several hundred to put a title together for you in some easy title state. At least that way you aren't going to run into a hassle later after you have driven the truck for a while and most bonded titles can be changed to a clear title in 3 years which at my 69 years of age go by way too fast as it is.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 11:00 AM   #9
Virginian

NY, one of the harder states to do this in, looked into it once myself. Not saying it can't be done, it costs a couple hundred bucks to get it inspected, you have to take it to a certain place by trailer and have ALL the documents in order.If I remember all the info and forms are on the nysdmv website. I couldn't get mine done and sold the truck to my stepson in Ohio, he had no problem getting an Ohio title and VIN.
Virginian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 12:16 PM   #10
ptc

I just had to deal with CA DMV on this topic and at least in this state, (dont know if its going federal or not) that as of 1/1/2016 any vehicle over 10 years old will not require ANY odometer information or verification for new titles to be processed.

Its become too much of a roadblock for people due to TOO MUCH TAMPERING with odometers. So the DMV is washing their hands of it.

CA code (from their website):

CA 1.130

Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) PlateAssignments (CVC §4161)
The department will assign and affix a VIN plate when required for original registration of the following vehicles:
• Trailers with an unladen weight under 6,000 pounds (except logging and auxiliary dollies).
• Trailer coaches.
• Special mobile equipment.
• Implements of husbandry.
• New motorcycles (except specially constructed motorcycles [SPCNS]).
• Snowmobiles (except when the VIN has been defaced or obliterated).

NOTE: All the documents and requirements for the registration application must be completed before a VIN plate is assigned.

The department refers all requests for assigned VIN plates on the following vehicles to the California Highway Patrol (CHP):
• Specially constructed motor vehicles.
• Motorcycles (except new). (Older motorcycles registered by engine number only must be assigned a frame number by the CHP before being registered.)
• Passenger vehicles.
• Commercial motor vehicles.
• Commercial trailers 6,000 pounds or more unladen.
• Logging dollies and auxiliary dollies.
• Snowmobiles (when the VIN has been defaced or obliterated).
• Volkswagen body changes.

The CHP must verify a vehicle when:
• Its identity cannot be confirmed orthere is a discrepancy between the public and alternate VIN.
• The public or alternate VIN has been altered or tampered in any way.
• The Federal Certification label is missing or illegible, and an alternate VIN cannot be located.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:48 PM   #11
62 Barnfind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Smart View Post
I have a customer that bought a half done `49 project. Only came with a Bill of sale because truck doesn't have a vin plate or an engine. The shop that had it (a reputable shop) tells him it was removed years ago before the meteor blasting and now is lost. Truck hasn`t been registered in over 20 years. What are our options?
I think GM tucks before the 50s didn't have a vin tag on the cab or frame. The engine serial number was the vehicle ID pre 50 something. Now this is what I was told by a Deputy Sheriff in Bell county Texas. My buddy bought a 40 chevy truck with no tittle and a bill of sale. The original motor was replaced with a 235 and the truck had no vin tag. The original motor serial number was the one for the truck and since it was gone no one could look up the last time it was registered. He had to get it inspected by a state vehicle inspector to see if it was stolen and verify the vin. Since it was a 40 and had no chassis and body serial number he made the replacement engine the number. Then he had to purchase a bonded insurance before the state would title it. It a lengthly progress but it can be done. Now each state is different. I would check with your state and see what it says. This is just an example.
My build tread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=507513
62 Barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 02:19 PM   #12
mphudak

I think the sheriff has a few things mixed up. GM trucks did have id plates from the factory, but prior to the 50's they were screwed on vs riveted. A number of muncipalities across the country would us engine numbers as the VIN instead of the id plate, which creats a whole new set of challenges if the motor it was titled on is no longer in the vehicle.

Reference from Jim Carter's
http://www.oldchevytrucks.com/blog/i...tag/id-plates/
Old 12-19-2015, 10:17 PM   #13
GreasyLikeaBurger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptc View Post
I just had to deal with CA DMV on this topic and at least in this state, (dont know if its going federal or not) that as of 1/1/2016 any vehicle over 10 years old will not require ANY odometer information or verification for new titles to be processed.

Its become too much of a roadblock for people due to TOO MUCH TAMPERING with odometers. So the DMV is washing their hands of it.

CA code (from their website):

CA 1.130

Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) PlateAssignments (CVC §4161)
The department will assign and affix a VIN plate when required for original registration of the following vehicles:
• Trailers with an unladen weight under 6,000 pounds (except logging and auxiliary dollies).
• Trailer coaches.
• Special mobile equipment.
• Implements of husbandry.
• New motorcycles (except specially constructed motorcycles [SPCNS]).
• Snowmobiles (except when the VIN has been defaced or obliterated).

NOTE: All the documents and requirements for the registration application must be completed before a VIN plate is assigned.

The department refers all requests for assigned VIN plates on the following vehicles to the California Highway Patrol (CHP):
• Specially constructed motor vehicles.
• Motorcycles (except new). (Older motorcycles registered by engine number only must be assigned a frame number by the CHP before being registered.)
• Passenger vehicles.
• Commercial motor vehicles.
• Commercial trailers 6,000 pounds or more unladen.
• Logging dollies and auxiliary dollies.
• Snowmobiles (when the VIN has been defaced or obliterated).
• Volkswagen body changes.

The CHP must verify a vehicle when:
• Its identity cannot be confirmed orthere is a discrepancy between the public and alternate VIN.
• The public or alternate VIN has been altered or tampered in any way.
• The Federal Certification label is missing or illegible, and an alternate VIN cannot be located.
PTC- Thanks for the CA info. I see a lot of trucks being sold with bill of sale only, and it discourages me from getting them. Since I assumed the headache of getting paperwork was just not worth it.

Have you had any experience with out of state transfers on old vehicles? Lots of them are being dragged into CA and being marked up. But with an out of state plate, I still kind of pass on them also.
GreasyLikeaBurger is offline   Reply With Quote