The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2008, 11:03 PM   #1
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

TBI 5.7L retro into ’72 questions

A while back I fell into a real good deal on a wrecked 85,000 mile 1990 G-Van with a TBI 5.7L and 4L60 that I couldn’t pass up. I figured I would toss this contraption into my old beater truck to give it some modern amenities such as EFI and OD. I didn’t plan on doing the actual engine swap until Christmas break but I advertized the 350/Th350 from the ’72 on CL and it sold tonight and I have to yank it out this weekend. So, it looks like I will be dropping the new engine and trans in much sooner than expected. Now I have play money to buy a TBI harness too!

My question is what are you all doing for a fuel pump to run TBI? Does anybody make a fuel sending unit with in-tank fuel pump provision for the in-cab fuel tank yet? If not, I don’t mind using a frame mounted pump on this truck even though the frame mounted pump on my ’78 with the 8.1L isn’t working so well. Any suggestions on a decent frame mounted pump for TBI?
Also, I saw something awhile back for a speed sensor in the trans that also runs an electric motor for the speedo cable. I searched but couldn’t find the thread. Who makes that gizmo?

Does the TH350 shifter linkage at the trans work on a 4L60 (700R4)?

New powertrain after a hot bath, fresh paint, tune up parts, etc.

DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:15 PM   #2
boostin20

Re: TBI 5.7L retro into ’72 questions

Aeromotive sells great inline pumps that will handle anything the 5.7 or 8.1 can put out.
boostin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:45 PM   #3
DirtyLarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostin20 View Post
Aeromotive sells great inline pumps that will handle anything the 5.7 or 8.1 can put out.

Very true, but in the case of my ’72, I don’t want to put a $400 fuel pump on a $300 truck. I was hoping to hear success stories of cheap discount auto part store house brand pumps that will muster up enough pressure to run TBI. TBI is pretty low pressure anyway.

The 8.1L truck is in the process of being converted to an AC Delco EP241 Corvette/F-body in-tank pump. That truck generates too much heat on the trails for a frame mounted pump to work very well….or for very long.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:12 PM   #4
DirtyLarry

Nobody, huh?
Old 10-24-2008, 03:20 PM   #5
LEEVON

If I'm not mistaken, TBI factory pressure varies from 8-13 psi. Here's a pump/regulator combo from Summit that should do the trick. Also check out the thread on fullsizechevy.com called "ulitmate TBI mods" or something similar.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

EDIT: Would it be possible to use an 87-91 blazer/burb tank with the internal pump...maybe could save a few $$$

Last edited by LEEVON; 10-24-2008 at 03:22 PM.
LEEVON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:19 PM   #6
Ackattack

I was thinking that the TBI was a low pressure system too.

However, I used a frame mounted fuel pump for my TPI 350 and I didn't have any problems with it.

I think this is what I used
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

but you may want something a little different if the TBI is a low pressure system.....do some checking.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 06:19 PM   #7
Rust Buster

I bought the Walbro frame mounted pump when I did mine, and it includes both a pre and post filter. Bought it from Arizona TPI.
I used it for 2 months or so and then started a frame off restoration. Still have it and it is for sale if you are interested. Worked great.
I have no use for it now since I went with a mass-flo system that requires a higher pressure in-tank pump.
Here's a link to the Walbro pump I have

http://www.aztpi.com/product.php?pro...4&cat=1&page=2

Yes the TBI requires low pressure about 10-13 PSI
71 K10 LWB
52 Dodge Power Wagon
67 Dodge WM300 Power Wagon
48 Dodge WDX Power Wagon

My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=239487

Last edited by Rust Buster; 10-24-2008 at 06:20 PM.
Rust Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 05:23 PM   #8
schwoch1
Local Detroit diesel nut!

I used the Carter P5001 pump on A Jeep Wrangler that I converted to TBI a few years ago. It is self priming and it can put out about 15 PSI max. It worked very well and never had any issues. Glad to see someone is actually using EFI on the older vehicles instead of taking a step backwards and slapping a carb on a good running EFI engine!!! Airtex also makes one, but I like the construction of the Carter unit better. If you want an Airtex just tell the counterman that you have a 1982 Chrysler Imperial with a 318 w/ fuel injection. It is the same pump!!!!
Summit sells the Carter pump for $131 and it is the best price I have found lately even with their 'handling' charge.
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...5&autoview=sku

Hope this helps!!!

Mike

Last edited by schwoch1; 10-25-2008 at 05:24 PM. Reason: cause I felt like it :)
schwoch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 12:42 AM   #9
DirtyLarry

Thanks for the info guys.

You would think someone would have created a 67-72 fuel sending unit with an in-tank fuel pump provision by now with all of the EFI swaps going on with these old trucks as frame mounted pumps really aren’t all that dependable due to overheating. This ’72 of mine is just an old beater that usually just gets hand-me-down parts so I am not looking to spend a much on a fuel pump if I don’t half to. I have a frame mount pump that is coming off of the ’78 but it is a high pressure pump intended to run multiport EFI so regulating that pump down is an option I suppose.

The only reason this ole girl is getting an EFI and OD swap is because I fell into a cheap van with all the goodies and I was hoping Vhatozone, or Checker Auto had a $20 pump that would work. I snagged the sending unit out of the donor G-van so I am thinking of trying to coble pieces of the G-van sending unit to the ’72 sending unit to create an in-tank fuel pump with the pieces I already have on hand.

I spent the afternoon pulling the 350 and TH350 out of the ’72 today then gave it a gave it hot bath for the guy that purchased it.

Just before the old powertrain was removed…..

The old powertrain waiting to be picked up by it’s new owner. He said he was putting this into a 2wd S10 Blazer.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:54 AM   #10
BlueJeep

I've always used the Master E2000 from Auto Zone. It's around $80, the application is from an 89 F150 IIRC. Been running them for years, and I've had just as good of luck from them as from Walbro pumps...for a lot cheaper.

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
88 Jeep Wrangler rockcrawler
BlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote