The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #1
El Campo

Nitrous people come and answer a strange question!

So I was in the machine shop where I get most of my engine work done and they were talking about something that I have never heard done before. Now I have never used power adders before (aside from more cubic inches) but they were talking about some strange things. So I have 535 BBC in a street driven truck but when I finish rebuilding the truck again I may go whack on it occcasionally at the track for giggles. Makes a bit over 600 HP and the shop was suggesting that if I wanted more from it ( and I am not planning on doing this just asking about the possibility) that I put a plate system on it (I believe). I have aluminum heads and 11:1 compression with 32 degrees total timing (sounds low I know but on the dyno this yielded best numbers).I am running 93 octane on the street being pushed by a electric pump out of a 16 gallon cell in the bed.Ok sounds reasonable enough right? Now it gets weird. They suggested mounting another cell by my 93 octane tank and filling it with 117 (or 115, 112 cannot remember the number) octane and running another fuel system up to the carb and whenever I wanted to use the happy gas a simple solenoid would switch me to my richer fuel and then with a box I could retard the timing (IIRC, please excuse my ignorance) and then would be throwing a lot more horses to the ground. Then when that stop light race was over could just switch back to regular gas and timing and continue my drive to the grocery store. Is this possible or is this merely good in theory??!!! Remember I am not planning on doing this, only asking about the viability of it. I know that there is still fuel in the carb bowls (950 DP) and surely this would have to be burned out before the nitrous started flowing. Ok flame away!!!
72 Chevy SWB: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486626 (Attempt/Mistake #2)
2003 Harley Davidson Dyna Superglide with 2007 Street Bob front end
2000 Ford F350 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB, 310,000 miles running great (STOLEN St. Patricks Day 2014 AND NEVER RECOVERED)
2002 Ford F250 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB (To replace stolen one)
Hook em Horns!!!
El Campo is offline   Reply With Quote