The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-03-2015, 02:34 PM   #1
Some_Guy

55 2nd Series - A daily driver.

About two years ago I felt the need for a project and started looking at older trucks. My only criteria was that I be able to wrench on it in my small single stall garage in my rented northern Virginia townhouse, and it cost me less than $5k. I was spending most of my efforts looking for a 60's C10 but after going and seeing several hacked up, see through rust buckets I was feeling pretty discouraged. Its crazy what some people call "rust free" and "road worthy". All along I had been discussing my adventures with my brother who had also been traveling around Michigan (my home state) trying to find me a project. He tells me he has a friend who's finally ready to part with a truck he had wanted to buy for the last 15 years and he's going to take our father and go have a look at it. The next thing I know I have these potato quality pictures on my phone that I can't quit looking at:

It was over my budget a bit and just generally bad timing as I was getting married in a couple weeks, but after hearing how enamored my father and brother were with this truck I sold my wife's car (we were planning to do this as it was hardly ever driven and was just costing us a car payment) and told my brother to go pick it up. I had bought an old truck. Sight unseen.

The details known to me so far:
  • 55 Chevrolet 3100
  • It had been "restored" sometime in the early 70's
  • A 283 under the hood origins unknown
  • A newer 12 bolt truck rear end again origins unknown
  • Power disc brake conversion installed already
  • Appeared to have little rust and a few filler spots but generally clean
  • Hasn't run or driven in 15 years...
  • Came with some spare parts; distributor, instrument cluster, windshield, some other odds and ends.
Some_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote