The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-29-2010, 07:32 PM   #1
knightowl73
TUKE-NoBullChit Customs owner

too low of stall speed???

350 motor,350 trans, eddy intake and rebuilt carb, mild cam but nothin speacial, just a bit of lump to it. when i come to a stop or im going around corners the truck wants to shut off. i can tap the gas a bit to counter-react to this, and i have the whole time ive had this truck, but i want to fix it. ive tried idling it up a bit, but then it just sits there and tries to lug forward while in gear. Is my factory stall speed too low? Anyone know of this problem?

was the same when i first got the truck running with the quadrajet on it too if that info helps. is this possibly fuel related?
OWNER @ NBC Customs...No Bull Chit....'92 GMC C2500 ECSB 350/TH400, '57 FORD SKYLINER (My dad's for now, but its really mine-you'll NEVER see a cooler car at 7 years old lol), '42 ford rat rod shop truck (new project), 91 CHRYSLER VOYER MINIVAN (shop van for now)

http://www.facebook.com/#!/nbc.customs

knightowl73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:30 PM   #2
cableguy0

Re: too low of stall speed???

Any idea what size the cam is? or what cam is in it? That sure sounds like all the signs and symptoms of a converter with a stall speed to low.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:51 PM   #3
knightowl73

dont know much about the cam, was in the truck when i bought it. the old man i got the truck from did say it was a erson cam, and it is just a lil lumpy, moreso when its ice cold, it smooths out a bit once it warms up but not much. 350 trans is all original, no shift kit or nothing.
OWNER @ NBC Customs...No Bull Chit....'92 GMC C2500 ECSB 350/TH400, '57 FORD SKYLINER (My dad's for now, but its really mine-you'll NEVER see a cooler car at 7 years old lol), '42 ford rat rod shop truck (new project), 91 CHRYSLER VOYER MINIVAN (shop van for now)

Old 11-29-2010, 09:10 PM   #4
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Think I'd be looking for a vacuum leak (hoses/intake etc.) .......
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:15 PM   #5
knightowl73

i didnt find any leaks, checked the vacuum hoses and sprayed wd40 around my intake and carb and nothing changed there.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:17 PM   #6
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

What is your timing set at? Do know how to use a vacuum gauge to tune a carb?
Old 11-29-2010, 09:28 PM   #7
knightowl73

timing is dead at 8 degrees. vac guage read at about 17 at highest point and i set it to that, although the needle was shaky a bit, but so is the idle lol so i figured that was fine. have tweaked the carb screws carefully as instructions from another post suggested at least 3x and still get this though

Old 11-29-2010, 09:34 PM   #8
swb85
On a budget like Fred Sanford

Did you check the float levels in the carb? Even brand new out of the box, every edelbrock carb I've ever seen needed the floats adjusted. Also, they are very picky about fuel pressure.....too much and you'll blow past the needle/seat. Should have no more than 6psi fuel pressure.

Other than that, what rpm does the truck idle cleanly at in park/neutral? Could be pulling against the converter if you're idling pretty high.
swb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:47 PM   #9
knightowl73

a buddy helped me rebuild the carb, i do remember him saying something about them and bending the floats or something till they were both the same height i assume, so im pretty sure they are right.

never thought about the fuel pressure much, figured a stock pump just wouldnt put out more than required. maybe i should find a cheap adjustable pressure regulator?

dont have a tach to know exactly, but ive played with the idle. it sounds about right as far as in park not being too high and in gear not falling dead. i have went up with it a tad, but putting it into gear is like BANG! then, its just too high, so i idled it back down and ive been driving it this way ever since, lugging and sometimes even falling dead, but like i said, i gas it a bit and i stays alive through it. hard to drive with the radio up tho thru town.

adjusting the floats, would they need to go up or down if i had to move them myself? i really know nothing about this part.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:54 PM   #10
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightowl73 View Post
a buddy helped me rebuild the carb, i do remember him saying something about them and bending the floats or something till they were both the same height i assume, so im pretty sure they are right.

never thought about the fuel pressure much, figured a stock pump just wouldnt put out more than required. maybe i should find a cheap adjustable pressure regulator?

dont have a tach to know exactly, but ive played with the idle. it sounds about right as far as in park not being too high and in gear not falling dead. i have went up with it a tad, but putting it into gear is like BANG! then, its just too high, so i idled it back down and ive been driving it this way ever since, lugging and sometimes even falling dead, but like i said, i gas it a bit and i stays alive through it. hard to drive with the radio up tho thru town.

adjusting the floats, would they need to go up or down if i had to move them myself? i really know nothing about this part.
Sounds like your bud knew how to set the float level, that should be good. A stock fuel pump will feed an Edelbrock carb fine, what those carbs don't like is too much fuel pressure. All I can add is initial timing seems a little low, it'd probably like more.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:29 AM   #11
knightowl73

are you saying to bump it to say ten and see? ive bumped it up before in the past and ran it for a few weeks and changed it back once i put the vac gauge back on it. at 8 it seems to have the most vacuum, or does this not mean anything due to this not having a stock camshaft? ive always set timing at 8 unless the vac guage read better someplace else. am i missing something?

also i just came from a friends house now, and im really low on gas, really about to run out, no biggie, gas station is right at the corner of the house, but it didnt seem to do any o this. if low fuel level produces a lower fuel pressure then i think i might be onto somethn by putting in one of those regulators huh?

Old 11-30-2010, 12:47 AM   #12
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

No, I'm thinking out loud and I am not a professional engine tuner and only have a little bit of experience to go on. With an aftermarket cam, intake, and carb the engine would (should?) run better with more initial timing. Something in the 10 to 14 degree range.

Being low on gas does not change your fuel pressure - the fuel pump puts out the same psi of pressure no matter how much gas is in the tank as long as it is drawing fuel and not sucking air. A fuel pressure regulator won't help a stock fuel pump - they are designed to take high fuel pressure and change it to a lower specific output. They don't take low fuel pressure and increase it to a higher specific output.

I may be all wrong here, but that's the way I was given to understand fuel pressure regulators.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:33 PM   #13
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

may wana double check intake for vac leaks

Last edited by motornut; 11-30-2010 at 12:34 PM.
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:16 PM   #14
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by motornut View Post
may wana double check intake for vac leaks
I'm still on a vac leak as well, A intake can leak on the inside as well which would show nothing spraying the outside. Also check the trans modulator and hose if equipped.....
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:33 PM   #15
MTCK

That is quite a bit of vacuum for a big cam. I would play with your timing, idle mixture and float level before tearing into the tranny. Sounds more like a tune than stall issue. Am I reading your signature correctly that you have 2.56 axle gears? That could be contributing to your heartburn as well.

1991 V3500 L29 454 4L80E NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's
1984 K30 292 TH400 NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's flat bed 7'6" Meyer Plow
2022 Silverado 3500 L8T
Project Daily Driver
Project Heavy Hauler
Project Plow Truck
MTCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:15 PM   #16
knightowl73

yes i was figuring the gears might be hurting as well, im i do have 2.56 gears out back and 255/70-15's out back which i know are pretty tall.

but i was running a 4.10 rear whe i first started driving it, and it the quadrajet on it needed a rebuild, would barely run at all. i tinkered with that carb and got it to run decent, but soon after changed rears and the carb to the eddy one.

ive actually noticed that when, say slowing to turn a corner, the rans does kickdown to second, but ive had better luck manually shifting it down all the way to first. seems to need it with the gear ratio i have now. and i dont get the stalling if i do this.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:21 PM   #17
3r!c84
Badass

get the timming 10-14 and see how it runs.

drop a gear and disappear!

1/4:13:90
3r!c84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:20 AM   #18
knightowl73

yeah ill try that within the next few days. have to get another timing light or borrow one, mine doesnt work anymore