The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-03-2012, 09:28 AM   #1
Denee007

What is this made out of?

Good morning!
The tranny mount in this photo(that's not how it will be mounted, this is an old photo). I need to weld it so it won't turn, the tube slips into the perches on the frame. I ground it down to metal where I wanted it to be clocked at, but when I went to tack it, it acts like aluminum. A magnet will hold to it. but it flares up badly when I go to mig it! So what's up with this? Could I run a bolt through it?

Denee007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:12 AM   #2
mknittle

Re: What is this made out of?

sand the paint off at least 1/2" from where you are going to weld and clean it with laquer thinner . That is what a welding instructor told me. But I go farther at least an inch. I also sand a spot where I am putting my ground clamp. The ground clamp is the first place to look for problems. Besides it is WAY eiser to clean the paint off apart than later after your welds are comtaminated and you cant get it apart! Sounds like you have done all that. What wire are you using? I mostly use ER70S-6
God only knows what is in the steel you get these days!

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602

Last edited by mknittle; 05-03-2012 at 10:37 AM.
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #3
FrankieD

Make sure the battery is disconnected or you might cause damage to some electrical components. Bad ground will cause you fits ground the piece you are welding
http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
FrankieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:39 AM   #4
mknittle

If all else fails make one out of 2'.120wall square tube.

My GMC build.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
mknittle

QUOTE=FrankieD;5350662]Make sure the battery is disconnected or you might cause damage to some electrical components. Bad ground will cause you fits ground the piece you are welding[/QUOTE]

lol I think she is far from having a battery though just like alot of us

My GMC build.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:55 AM   #6
jfortvalley

its mild steel
jfortvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:44 PM   #7
Kim57

Looks just like the one I got from CPP. I had no trouble welding mine.
Are you using shielding gas when your welding?
I find if I get a magnet to close to what I'm welding it will cause me problems.
Make sure all your connections on your welder are tight. I had problems after changing my feed line and it turned out to be a loose connection inside the welder.
Kim
Old 05-03-2012, 12:49 PM   #8
Denee007

So, are you writing that mild steel welds horribly? I was working on the drivers side floor pan today, I'll play with the darned crossmember later today. I'll remove much more paint. I did grind very well where my ground lead went~ eh, maybe not enough. Actually underneath the truck, I was just trying to put a tack to hold it, but when pulling the trigger to tack, like a small atomic bomb! just very bright, and ruined one of my tips, like melted it partly!!
I'll check back, got the floor pan cut out, but may leave the pan out for a while, great access point! Maybe I should put a hinge on the floor pan! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfortvalley View Post
its mild steel
Old 05-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #9
FrankieD

]

lol I think she is far from having a battery though just like alot of us[/QUOTE]

Couldn't tell looking from the botton Yea my battery is in and out all the time too.
http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
FrankieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #10
Denee007

I needed a chuckle!!:lol:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieD View Post
]

Couldn't tell looking from the botton Yea my battery is in and out all the time too.[/QUOTE]
Old 05-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #11
mknittle

are you grounded to the part you are welding? About once a year I replace my dads liner, he has the same thing happen. The problem is he insists on spraying anti splatter into the torch while holding it up and letting the it run down in to everything. When it drys in gets sticky and the wire will jump and stops. The drive wheels can do that to

My GMC build.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:26 PM   #12
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieD View Post
]

Couldn't tell looking from the botton Yea my battery is in and out all the time too.[/QUOTE]

is that your nice looking 69-70 in your avitar? I am building one with a cummins.

My GMC build.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:35 PM   #13
Denee007

you noticed my Mustang! ; )

YOu're putting a cummins in a Mustang? that would be interesting to see! So, you noticed my '67 Mustang! That was my first project, and it was much easier than my truck!

As for my welder, I just had welded something yesterday and it worked fine. I'm too burned out today to check it out. The firewall kind of has me bummed out~ it's in my build thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknittle View Post
Couldn't tell looking from the botton Yea my battery is in and out all the time too.
is that your nice looking 69-70 in your avitar? I am building one with a cummins.[/QUOTE]

I guess I ought to drive it somewhere~ I just move it out of the garage, then back in the garage. It actually looks better in the photo.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #14
mknittle

Re: you noticed my Mustang! ; )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denee007 View Post
YOu're putting a cummins in a Mustang? that would be interesting to see! So, you noticed my '67 Mustang! That was my first project, and it was much easier than my truck!

As for my welder, I just had welded something yesterday and it worked fine. I'm too burned out today to check it out. The firewall kind of has me bummed out~ it's in my build thread.

is that your nice looking 69-70 in your avitar? I am building one with a cummins.

I guess I ought to drive it somewhere~ I just move it out of the garage, then back in the garage. It actually looks better in the photo.
[/QUOTE] i was asking frankie about his truck. i didn't notice your mustsng, that is nice too! there is a cummins in a corvette! the guy has a build thread on a 72 4x4 on the 68/72 side of this board He is a real nice guy. http://www.lowbudgetdiesel.com/Cumminscorvette.html

My GMC build.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #15
_Ogre

it amazes me that you guys buy simple stuff that needs to be welded in.
a piece of square tubing, round tubing or angle iron welded to the bottom of the frame does the same thing.
that mount probably cost $99.99 and still need to be fit and welded.
a piece of square tube would have cost you $10 if you didn't have it laying around.

denee, i'm not knocking your choice of bracket, i just think you could fabricate a better looking one for a lot less
and have the satisfaction of building it yourself for a lot less money and less grief.
test your fab skills, even if you mess up the first 4 times, you'd have saved $50 and learned a lot about making stuff fit.

i see a under floor mc mount, it looks like the x-member is a little close too.

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:33 PM   #16
Denee007

HI Orrie! yes, you're right, and now I figure it out that I could have made one. In the photo, that's an earlier photo, that's not where the crossmember will go, the perches will actually be flipped and hanging from the frame.. IT will be a while before I get the chance to get a photo of it mounted correctly.

I honestly didn't think about making one until you mentioned it : ( I just figured the weight must be intense, so "surely" the ones store bought are better! lol
live n learn!
Old 05-05-2012, 10:39 AM   #17
_Ogre

don't blame orrieg for that post
those universal mounts really don't work well with the modifications you've done to your truck.
the old x-member you cut out kept the frame from flexing and your front cab mounts from sagging.
your truck needs some structural support put back into it.

this is what i did, a little over kill but i had the material laying around
upper and lower member to keep the frame from twisting and tube support to reinforce the front cab mounts.

the center piece with the mount attached, drops out to remove the trans
notice how the stock x-members support both top and bottom flanges of the frame
this is the support you need to duplicate
all the weight on the front spring and the cab all come together where the old x-member was.

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:45 AM   #18
Denee007

I see what mean about the structural integrity being compromised by the removal of the support I took out. I like the way you made a part of it remove able for trany removal! Thank you for bringing this to my attention; )

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
don't blame orrieg for that post
those universal mounts really don't work well with the modifications you've done to your truck.
the old x-member you cut out kept the frame from flexing and your front cab mounts from sagging.
your truck needs some structural support put back into it.

this is what i did, a little over kill but i had the material laying around
upper and lower member to keep the frame from twisting and tube support to reinforce the front cab mounts.

the center piece with the mount attached, drops out to remove the trans
notice how the stock x-members support both top and bottom flanges of the frame
this is the support you need to duplicate
all the weight on the front spring and the cab all come together where the old x-member was.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-05-2012, 09:26 PM   #19
Denee007

Actually, I forgot to mention , I was hoping to re-incorporate the old crossmember that I removed, just all depends on the clearance between the crossmember and my th350. I think Orrie kept his in? In the photo below, I had left the remains of my cm. if it is usable, I'll weld on tabs or flanges to make the main part removeable. I guess I need to put my mock up engine and tranny back together again and test fit the old cm! Darn! If it requires moving my tranny support Again, this would be the time to do it, it's just tacked in.

Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-06-2012, 12:13 AM   #20
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denee007 View Post
HI Orrie! yes, you're right, and now I figure it out that I could have made one. In the photo, that's an earlier photo, that's not where the crossmember will go, the perches will actually be flipped and hanging from the frame.. IT will be a while before I get the chance to get a photo of it mounted correctly.

I honestly didn't think about making one until you mentioned it : ( I just figured the weight must be intense, so "surely" the ones store bought are better! lol
live n learn!
Not me, ogres post.
Posted via Mobile Device
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:28 AM   #21
Mike Bradbury

Sometimes powder coaters will put a zinc primer before coating, if your not thorough in removing all of it it will react just like what you described. The base is silverish and can look similar to steel. Grind until you see sparks and you know you're ready. If it doesn't spark it is either still coated with something or it is a non-ferrous material.

Project: Barn Raising http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=414961

Project: 30 Be Low https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=830583
Mike Bradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:40 AM   #22
Denee007

Apologies OrrieG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Not me, ogres post.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-08-2012, 08:58 AM   #23
AUSSIE54

Hi Denee,

You have a good range of helpful responses there and all things to look out for. The one thing that caught my eye was that you said that you had melted the tip when attempting to do a tack. I'm wondering if there is an excessive spatter build up in your gas shroud bridging the tip to the shroud causing this problem for you. Not trying to tell you how to suck eggs but if you don't already know, it is imperritive to regularly clean the shroud out from spatter build up which will help maintain an even gas shield around your weld pool and also lesson the risk of the tip arc'ing out. It also pays to check the gas flow setting on your regulator when opening the gas bottle valve each time. Remember also that too much gas flow can be just as bad as too little. Hope some of this helps.

Regards,

Trently.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Trently.

My build thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=482263
AUSSIE54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:37 AM   #24
Denee007

Good morning Trently! I do appreciate your response! I had just welded something the day before and it was welding fine. I do check for buildup in the nozzle, remove the nozzle, etc. plus my flow meter is hovering at 15psi. I haven't had time to check it out since I started this thread. As soon as I get Done with some firewall stuff, I'll get back to the crossmember and put an end to my question

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSSIE54 View Post
Hi Denee,

You have a good range of helpful responses there and all things to look out for. The one thing that caught my eye was that you said that you had melted the tip when attempting to do a tack. I'm wondering if there is an excessive spatter build up in your gas shroud bridging the tip to the shroud causing this problem for you. Not trying to tell you how to suck eggs but if you don't already know, it is imperritive to regularly clean the shroud out from spatter build up which will help maintain an even gas shield around your weld pool and also lesson the risk of the tip arc'ing out. It also pays to check the gas flow setting on your regulator when opening the gas bottle valve each time. Remember also that too much gas flow can be just as bad as too little. Hope some of this helps.

Regards,

Trently.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #25
AUSSIE54

Yes, Goodmorning to you too, although it is good night over here. Hmm, will be good morning in 18 minutes though.

Sounds like you are well on the right track with things and with a good process of elimination you will find the cause. Don't worry, even after 25 years of experience it's still the little things that go unnoticed are often the most frustrating until the cause is found.

Good luck with the firewall and I hope all turns out well with the crossmember.

Regards, Trently.
Posted via Mobile Device

Trently.

My build thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=482263
AUSSIE54 is offline   Reply With Quote