The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2013, 08:43 PM   #51
Low Elco

Re: Project "Booger"

True. IDK, some dude in texas I saw bought some for his a couple months ago and it stuck. Don't know exactly what he got. 55/ea.

if ya wanna get all HiPo, Speedway in Lincoln sells hi-flow ramhorns. Not terrible, but not cheap.

When you put them in, get some Percy's copper gaskets from AZ and some Permatex Ultra Copper. Skim of the Ultra on the gaskets and slather it on the doughnuts. Drink a couple slow BL's and fire it up! Nice and quiet.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #52
gdavis

Thoes wire brushes are a real life saver and taker. Be careful with them my friend. After a while you can hear the wire hit the building while you use them. Good luck my friend.
gdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:34 PM   #53
oilyrag80

Truck looks good! if you cant find that brake line I have a buddy that can make one up for you. I have a set of ram horns off a 69 I parted out but they have the smog holes (Ca truck) if you want them you can have them.
Just let me know.
oilyrag80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:01 AM   #54
americanthunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
True. IDK, some dude in texas I saw bought some for his a couple months ago and it stuck. Don't know exactly what he got. 55/ea.

if ya wanna get all HiPo, Speedway in Lincoln sells hi-flow ramhorns. Not terrible, but not cheap.

When you put them in, get some Percy's copper gaskets from AZ and some Permatex Ultra Copper. Skim of the Ultra on the gaskets and slather it on the doughnuts. Drink a couple slow BL's and fire it up! Nice and quiet.
Can I substitute a Coors Light?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdavis View Post
Thoes wire brushes are a real life saver and taker. Be careful with them my friend. After a while you can hear the wire hit the building while you use them. Good luck my friend.
Yea I purcheased some twisted wire ones for my grinder yesterday...WOW what a difference. Probably should be wearing a flak jacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilyrag80 View Post
Truck looks good! if you cant find that brake line I have a buddy that can make one up for you. I have a set of ram horns off a 69 I parted out but they have the smog holes (Ca truck) if you want them you can have them.
Just let me know.
Thank you sir! Yea Im running into a dead end on the brake line and it seems all the new manifolds have the smog holes with plugs in the so I may be in touch on that but definitely on the brake line!

AmericanThunder
Project Booger Build Thread
americanthunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:19 AM   #55
67cheby
67cheby

nice work cleaning up that frame !
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:29 AM   #56
americanthunder

Ok guys, been swamped at work this week and exhausted by the time I get home BUT I had something inject some energy back into me yesterday:

Good story on the delivery company which I will leave unnamed....Guy shows up can hardly understand him (think he was russian) and tells me he can unload the pallets at the curb. If I want them in the driveway he has to check this "box" (referring to his paperwork) and it will cost another $40 per piece. If I wanted them set in the garage he would have to check this "box" which is another $40 in addition to the $40 for the driveway so its $80. So now hes telling me if he is forced to check his "boxes" its another $160 to put them in my garage..But oh wait he has a deal for me If I pay him cash he would do it for a mere $100! I told him just leave it on the pallet jack, lower the liftgate, and I'll roll it in my garage. Anything for a buck I guess.

Anyway back to booger. After drooling over the new engine and tranny for a bit I decided it was time to tackle that ugly drip rail with the cracked sealant that I have been scared to do because I was afraid of what I might find and the mess I might create. Using my grinder with the twisted wire wheel it was out in about 30 secs. I was pleased to find just some minor surface rust underneath mainly near the drivers corner.

Ok onto the front windshield. Took a razor blade and cut the rubber on the inside and it popped right out..Easy but I bet it doesnt go back in that easy. Behind the rubber was a little thicker rust right under that same drivers corner and LOTS of black sealant. Spent quick of bit of time cleaning up the black gunk and grinding the rust down but there still appears to be plenty of material there.

Ok now Im feeling accomplished and its still nice and warm out so I started disassembling the doors removing the panels, felts, the rubber from the jamb, and the glass. Everything but the glass was so sun baked it all just crumbled.

Took this pic after I removed the windshield and started cleaning up the frame

Next thing I know my wife opens the door and asks if I'm coming to bed...Guess I got carried away.

Before I went to bed I mocked up the motor though..What do you think?

AmericanThunder
Old 01-23-2013, 11:23 AM   #57
Low Elco

Woot, Woot! New parts! Awesome! I was stunned the first time I pulled my own windshield. NOt for nuthin, I welded all those seams around the windshield solid while I had it apart. No leakie! Well, I guess, We don't take it out in the rain now! Ha, more than one way to skin a cat! Glad you got the brushes, it really speeds stuff up. Don't ever be scared, You WANNA know what's under there! Easy fix now, Big Suck later. Ask me about front ends sometime. Lookin' like good progress, keep it up!
Old 01-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #58
jlsanborn

Awesome delivery!
Hey, you're kickin but down there and it's looking great. You really do have a solid truck to start with. It's going to be better than new when you're done. I don't think the AIR ports would be all that bad. You could use the square head plugs and grind them off flush.
How do your vent windows look?
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471776
jlsanborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:43 PM   #59
americanthunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Woot, Woot! New parts! Awesome! I was stunned the first time I pulled my own windshield. NOt for nuthin, I welded all those seams around the windshield solid while I had it apart. No leakie! Well, I guess, We don't take it out in the rain now! Ha, more than one way to skin a cat! Glad you got the brushes, it really speeds stuff up. Don't ever be scared, You WANNA know what's under there! Easy fix now, Big Suck later. Ask me about front ends sometime. Lookin' like good progress, keep it up!
Well at least you know it wont leak if you do take it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsanborn View Post
Awesome delivery!
Hey, you're kickin but down there and it's looking great. You really do have a solid truck to start with. It's going to be better than new when you're done. I don't think the AIR ports would be all that bad. You could use the square head plugs and grind them off flush.
How do your vent windows look?
Vent windows are shiny chrome on the outside rusted on the inside..Exact opposite of what you might think. Other than that all the rubber is shot and the passenger side glass is chipped down by the latch due to what appears to be evidence of an attempted or successful break in. Still debating whether Im gonna paint the insides and put in new rubber or just buy some new units. Was really thinking I may buy the one piece window kits but I really like the vents and after reading some of the stories about installs on here I think I'll stick with the vents, either new or rejuvenated. At this point my budget is shot and Im realizing why I was told "Take your budget and add ten grand...Then maybe you'll be close to the true cost of restoring a truck" Haha

AmericanThunder
Old 01-23-2013, 05:49 PM   #60
jlsanborn

I really like the vents too. I've got mine all torn down and bought the new seals and the "rebuild kit". Mine were origninally painted and that's what I've been planning to do but now I'm thinking chrome..... Repops are SPENDY!
Old 01-24-2013, 10:32 AM   #61
americanthunder

Quote:
I really like the vents too. I've got mine all torn down and bought the new seals and the "rebuild kit". Mine were origninally painted and that's what I've been planning to do but now I'm thinking chrome..... Repops are SPENDY!
Yes they sure are...Im gonna take a stab at rebuilding mine before shelling out that kind of cash.

AmericanThunder
Old 01-24-2013, 06:00 PM   #62
gdavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanthunder View Post
Ok guys, been swamped at work this week and exhausted by the time I get home BUT I had something inject some energy back into me yesterday:

Good story on the delivery company which I will leave unnamed....Guy shows up can hardly understand him (think he was russian) and tells me he can unload the pallets at the curb. If I want them in the driveway he has to check this "box" (referring to his paperwork) and it will cost another $40 per piece. If I wanted them set in the garage he would have to check this "box" which is another $40 in addition to the $40 for the driveway so its $80. So now hes telling me if he is forced to check his "boxes" its another $160 to put them in my garage..But oh wait he has a deal for me If I pay him cash he would do it for a mere $100! I told him just leave it on the pallet jack, lower the liftgate, and I'll roll it in my garage. Anything for a buck I guess.

Anyway back to booger. After drooling over the new engine and tranny for a bit I decided it was time to tackle that ugly drip rail with the cracked sealant that I have been scared to do because I was afraid of what I might find and the mess I might create. Using my grinder with the twisted wire wheel it was out in about 30 secs. I was pleased to find just some minor surface rust underneath mainly near the drivers corner.

Ok onto the front windshield. Took a razor blade and cut the rubber on the inside and it popped right out..Easy but I bet it doesnt go back in that easy. Behind the rubber was a little thicker rust right under that same drivers corner and LOTS of black sealant. Spent quick of bit of time cleaning up the black gunk and grinding the rust down but there still appears to be plenty of material there.

Ok now Im feeling accomplished and its still nice and warm out so I started disassembling the doors removing the panels, felts, the rubber from the jamb, and the glass. Everything but the glass was so sun baked it all just crumbled.

Took this pic after I removed the windshield and started cleaning up the frame

Next thing I know my wife opens the door and asks if I'm coming to bed...Guess I got carried away.

Before I went to bed I mocked up the motor though..What do you think?

nice motor box you got there.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:37 PM   #63
Bomp

Is that a big box or a small box?
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:47 PM   #64
gdavis

I like the motor box. It looks like it came out of a ford van. Ha Ha anyway good luck my friend.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:39 AM   #65
67chevy1series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
No that's one of those rare medium boxes. It packs a lotta powe.. I mean parts
Posted via Mobile Device
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:14 AM   #66
americanthunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
Its a small box 350. Super Easy on Gas

Quote:
I like the motor box. It looks like it came out of a ford van. Ha Ha anyway good luck my friend.
Well times are tough we gotta work with what we can afford and my neighbors van was parked in a dark spot overnight ..Thanks!

AmericanThunder
Old 01-28-2013, 10:46 AM   #67
americanthunder

Figured I better update my progress...Kinda feels like I didn't get alot done this weekend but when I put it into words we'll see. My son was sick all weekend so I ran solo. Rained on and off so I didn't get to roll old booger outside for some vitamin D so I did what I could in my garage. I managed to get the remainder of the interior stripped out and started prepping it for paint. Going to try and just tuck some stuff back inside the dash and tape from behind. This may or may not be the most logical way to do it. My thought is if I can get the underside/backsides of panels and interior painted I can get it reassembled and then shoot the exterior. I'd appreciate anyones input on this.

Started off the weekend fighting with a flaring tool that I purchased online to fab up a couple of boogered up brake lines I discovered during the tear down. Of course the 10 buck one I purchased online was incapable of making a decent double flare so I ended up going through a few feet of brake line before I went and rented one from the auto parts store. Once I had a good tool I had the brake lines done in all of 5 mins

I then moved to the rear diff before I forgot and drained/cleaned it up real good. It was NASTY in there. Wonder if the previous owners ever changed the fluid. I had picked up 3 quarts to refill from what I read on here but only two went in before it was running out of the fill hole. Normal?

I think I was just doing the easy stuff because I didnt want to lay under the truck and wipe everything down again but Saturday evening I finally broke down and got the underside prepped and coated with some eastwood encapsulator and a coat of the satin along with the front area of the frame. Took a look Sunday morning and it looked light it was painted by a blind guy. Note to self: Paint only in good light.

Sunday I decided to tear off the AC/Heater core box to clean it up, install some new gaskets, and give it some fresh paint. Glad I did this because there was still alot of debris inside and after hitting the coil with some evap coil cleaner the gook just rolled out. While it was off I roughed up the firewall, wiped it down, and painted it in the same black which I think looks pretty darn good. While I had everything off I also replaced the ac damper in the cowl which was in three pieces. One thing to note when reassembling the AC/Heater don't install the fan motor before installing the unit back on the firewall. Makes it a b***h to get the rubber gasket between the fan and firewall in place!

Well here is what boog looks like which everything reinstalled and painted up:

Well I had a few hours left before dinner so I decided I would see how my engine bling looked and started getting my motor ready to install. I went with the chevrolet performance grey valve covers since I didnt want chrome and I think after mocking up the edelbrock intake and carb its starting to come together:

This week I hope to start the reassembly time willing. I picked up a HVLP paint gun and ordered some primer/paint from Summit and I am going to start practicing on some old panels since I have never painted anything without a rattle can or a brush. Im still a bit confused as to what type of primer to use. I am not stripping to bare metal so I have some exposed metal in spots but its mostly down to the original primer. Any suggestions on how to prep and paint? This isnt going to be a show truck, just a daily driver.

Hope everyone has a great week!

AmericanThunder
Old 01-28-2013, 04:49 PM   #68
jlsanborn

Nice work man, firewall looks sweet! Motor is looking awesome too. Great choice on the valve covers
I'd say you're about right on the gear oil. My big-o 14 bolt takes 3qts for a change, maybe a touch more.
I'd wait for Elco to advise on the primer. He's been there, done that and has been a great tutor on my paint job. I'm down to the metal and am using epoxy followed by a polyester hi-build on the outside panels. Hope the boy is feeling better soon!

Last edited by jlsanborn; 01-28-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:52 PM   #69
jlsanborn

Just spotted the Durablock kit in your last pic. Ooooh you're in for it man!
Old 01-28-2013, 07:47 PM   #70
gdavis

Your Power plant is bling my friend.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:30 AM   #71
americanthunder

Quote:
Nice work man, firewall looks sweet! Motor is looking awesome too. Great choice on the valve covers
I'd say you're about right on the gear oil. My big-o 14 bolt takes 3qts for a change, maybe a touch more.
I'd wait for Elco to advise on the primer. He's been there, done that and has been a great tutor on my paint job. I'm down to the metal and am using epoxy followed by a polyester hi-build on the outside panels. Hope the boy is feeling better soon!
Thanks man I just finished reading your build thread from beginning to end your doing an incredible job. I was hoping to hear from Elco...the stuff he knows is not human

Quote:
Just spotted the Durablock kit in your last pic. Ooooh you're in for it man!
Oh I know it...Restored a jeep a few years back and did it with a little sanding block from Wally world. Dont think thats gonna cut it in this case.

Quote:
Your Power plant is bling my friend.
I was gonna leave everything black..wifey wanted the bling and as usual, she was right.

AmericanThunder
Old 01-29-2013, 12:47 AM   #72
Low Elco

Oh, believe it, he's human. The term you're looking for is idiot savant.

If your factory paint is in good shape and not rusty, it's the best base you can get. Scuff with red scotchbrite and blast away. If you need to cover good spots of bare metal, scratch the metal with 150 and use SEM etch prime in a spray bomb from the paint store.

SEM Paints (SEM39683) Self Etching Primer -... SEM Paints (SEM39683) Self Etching Primer -...
Blend this just a tad into your good paint, scotchbrite it all and blasto! Good move on the D blocks. I like 'em. If you do doors and bedsides, tape a good straight chunk of 2x4 to the top. Use your smushed fender for shooting practice. Shoot around all your edges first, then the main area, top to bottom, with 50% overlap. No problem.

Thanks again for the props! Anything you wanna know, ask away. Also, look up mrhino's threads, silver dollar and crusader. He does stellar work out of his house.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-29-2013, 12:47 AM   #73
Low Elco

Oh, believe it, he's human. The term you're looking for is idiot savant.

If your factory paint is in good shape and not rusty, it's the best base you can get. Scuff with red scotchbrite and blast away. If you need to cover good spots of bare metal, scratch the metal with 150 and use SEM etch prime in a spray bomb from the paint store.

SEM Paints (SEM39683) Self Etching Primer -... SEM Paints (SEM39683) Self Etching Primer -...
Blend this just a tad into your good paint, scotchbrite it all and blasto! Good move on the D blocks. I like 'em. If you do doors and bedsides, tape a good straight chunk of 2x4 to the top. Use your smushed fender for shooting practice. Shoot around all your edges first, then the main area, top to bottom, with 50% overlap. No problem.

Thanks again for the props! Anything you wanna know, ask away. Also, look up mrhino's threads, silver dollar and crusader. He does stellar work out of his house.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Low Elco; 01-29-2013 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Double post! Aaaaaah!
Old 01-29-2013, 12:48 AM   #74
Low Elco

Posted via Mobile Device

See? This is what I'm talking about.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:53 AM   #75
Low Elco

Ah, durnit! I missed this-

Go to the car paint store and get a gun regulator and a disposable air line filter for your gun. The regulator makes changes on the fly a lot easier, and the filter will save your butt.
Posted via Mobile Device