The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 09:55 AM   #4901
rockmanben

Re: How about some pics of 73-91 crew cabs

Thanks for the compliments guys. The tires are 225-70-19.5s. I don't have any pics of the int., I am actually putting seats out of an 03 chevy in it right now. A guy is suppose to come pick up the factory seats tomorrow then I will finish taking the int out and spray charcoal on the inside and put my new carpet and seats back in.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:16 PM   #4902
quest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanben View Post

Ok I need some input, to cut it and make a single wheel shortbed like the grey one or to leave it dually and put a shinny new charcoal grey paintjob on her?
Well that is such a personal choice, like paint colors, it's what ever you like and can get the best use out of.

I love both versions of that truck myself but I lean a little more towards the short box single wheel just because it would suit my use better at this point.
Good luck, nice truck!
Old 05-28-2013, 01:37 AM   #4903
mckustomfab

Quote:
Thanks for the compliments guys. The tires are 225-70-19.5s. I don't have any pics of the int., I am actually putting seats out of an 03 chevy in it right now. A guy is suppose to come pick up the factory seats tomorrow then I will finish taking the int out and spray charcoal on the inside and put my new carpet and seats back in.
Do you have a build thread somewhere? I'm interested to see how you mount your seats. I have '04 Chevy extended cab seats in my '91 but im going to redo the way i mounted them.

You cant fix stupid, and stupid hurt! Rules to live by.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:15 AM   #4904
rockmanben

No I don't have a thread, I can tell you they are hell to get low enough. I had to cut 3 inches out of the outside track/bracket and 1 inch out of the other. On these you have to relocate the tilt mech. and cut about 3 inchest off of the lower end for the seat to lean back
Old 05-29-2013, 01:16 AM   #4905
mckustomfab

Quote:
No I don't have a thread, I can tell you they are hell to get low enough. I had to cut 3 inches out of the outside track/bracket and 1 inch out of the other. On these you have to relocate the tilt mech. and cut about 3 inchest off of the lower end for the seat to lean back
Yeah, that's why i'm having to redo my mounts. Just to damn high, i'm looking at replacing the floor pan with ones out of a blazer so it will lower the seats. I just don't want to modify the seat brackets (lazy).
You cant fix stupid, and stupid hurt! Rules to live by.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:59 AM   #4906
84 Beast

Been reading for a while and just thought I would post my recent addition. 84 Scottsdale, 6 inch lift, 38" swampers, 454 w/turbo 400 (cummins to come).
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2013, 09:01 AM   #4907
trout

Quote:
yeah I plan on charcoal and silver on the bottom, started to spray it a silver then charcoal but got the driver fender sprayed and looked more like primer grey than anything. I am not having it look primer grey so Im going charcoal then silver bottom. I do use it but it would be a lot easier to drive short, it would pull fine just no room in the bed with the fuel tank and tool box
keep it dually and paint it bad as
Old 05-29-2013, 12:23 PM   #4908
rockmanben

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckustomfab View Post
Yeah, that's why i'm having to redo my mounts. Just to damn high, i'm looking at replacing the floor pan with ones out of a blazer so it will lower the seats. I just don't want to modify the seat brackets (lazy).
You will have a lot more work in putting floor pans in than modifying the seats and not be able to put factory seats back in ever
Old 05-29-2013, 01:47 PM   #4909
82ccshorty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84 Beast View Post
Been reading for a while and just thought I would post my recent addition. 84 Scottsdale, 6 inch lift, 38" swampers, 454 w/turbo 400 (cummins to come).
how does this think do in the mud?
2004 gmc sierra dually 4/4 lowering daily driver
Old 05-29-2013, 06:15 PM   #4910
dubds10
Stalker Nate

Finally got a dually, which I've been wanting for a long time now. 1990 Chevy Crewcab dually 454TBI/400 combo. I'd like to get an OD tranny for it so I can cruise at some better RPMs, but I'll probably hold off as I'll be putting the 454 in the fiancees '64 Caddy and a Cummins in this sooner or later lol This thing just drinks fuel like no tomorrow and of course it's got dual tanks. $100 a fill and lasts a week or so, luckily I rarely drive it as I have work trucks. Came with the Alcoas and spacers out back to run bigger tires luckily! Paid $2700 for it and the Alcoas and spacers are worth about $1000 on CL up here so $1700 for the truck which is a good deal. This truck is pretty rare up here, not like down south where you guys have a million crewcab duallies. These are few and far between up this way and this was the one of only a handful for sale in BC over the past few years.

It had headache racks front and rear and was covered in mud when I got it two weeks ago. Needed new brakes all around and tires. I just got some 315/75/16s (35") tires for it today and I'm doing the brakes this coming weekend. Washed it and cleaned out the interior. I think there was at least 500lbs of mud on and in this truck after pressure washing it and there's still tons in the chassis and interior.

For now it's the daily driver, work truck which will slowly get built up. Runs good but could use a chip/tune to get even more out of it

Nate
Attached Images

Instagram - TheDonutDiner
FaceBook - @UscreamIscream
Old 05-29-2013, 06:39 PM   #4911
dieseldawg142

hey! i seen that truck on cl, $35-3600 i think. it caught my attn. too, i'm looking for a new dd, but it's a bb truck, i already own one of them. and yeah, any crew, dw, srw, up here is rare. mine's a srw, & i know of about 3 or 4 of them & 2 duallys at this end of the valley. you wont see yourself coming down the road very often, in fact after awhile you'll start to feel like a whale in a goldfish bowel!
Old 05-29-2013, 06:51 PM   #4912
dubds10
Stalker Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldawg142 View Post
hey! i seen that truck on cl, $35-3600 i think. it caught my attn. too, i'm looking for a new dd, but it's a bb truck, i already own one of them. and yeah, any crew, dw, srw, up here is rare. mine's a srw, & i know of about 3 or 4 of them & 2 duallys at this end of the valley. you wont see yourself coming down the road very often, in fact after awhile you'll start to feel like a whale in a goldfish bowel!
Yeah he was asking $3600. His buddy lost the keys so we went there, pulled the steering column apart just to start it and make sure it ran good. Then I went and bought a new ignition and installed it and drove it home lol I see a bunch of these down in WA for sale, but I just haven't had the time to get down there and this one is rust free so figured I'd finally buy something locally. Next will be a C/C dually slammed on some 22s, but that's way down the road. The other projects need to come together first before I buy more, unless I find a killer deal I can't pass up.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:38 PM   #4913
dieseldawg142

^^ is that the stock paint on your crew? if it is, look at your spid & see if you have code 9V5. my crew is the exact same color (woodland green), which was not on the color charts. Keith Seymore says it was most likely a fleet order, only people i know that use that green is forest service. that's solid lookin' sheetmetal you have there. mine's a custom deluxe, looks like yours is base too? i have the same drivetrain with 4:56's, i feel your pain at the pump. $200+ fill-ups=200 miles
Old 05-29-2013, 08:02 PM   #4914
dubds10
Stalker Nate

Quote:
^^ is that the stock paint on your crew? if it is, look at your spid & see if you have code 9V5. my crew is the exact same color (woodland green), which was not on the color charts. Keith Seymore says it was most likely a fleet order, only people i know that use that green is forest service. that's solid lookin' sheetmetal you have there. mine's a custom deluxe, looks like yours is base too? i have the same drivetrain with 4:56's, i feel your pain at the pump. $200+ fill-ups=200 miles
I assume mine is an ex-forestry truck based on the no-options, HD springs (appears to be 1-1/4T truck) and the green paint. This green was only used by Forestry back in the day as far as I know. Haven't checked the spid yet, but I figured that as soon as I saw the pics of it. Not many green trucks around lol I figured it'd go good with my profession since I'll be doing Forest fire investigations now during the summer months.

$100 fill for each tank and goes about 200kms to a tank right now hahaha I really need to do a tune up on it to get it running right. It's running real rich right now.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:58 PM   #4915
84 Beast

Made it forwards, reverse, and sideways thru the mud, just had to be slow n steady. Any time I hammered on it the carb bogged out. I have to tune the truck. Its kinda a turd right now, but I don't want to put any $ into the engine since m planning a cummins swap.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-30-2013, 12:44 AM   #4916
dieseldawg142

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubds10 View Post
I assume mine is an ex-forestry truck based on the no-options, HD springs (appears to be 1-1/4T truck) and the green paint. This green was only used by Forestry back in the day as far as I know. Haven't checked the spid yet, but I figured that as soon as I saw the pics of it. Not many green trucks around lol I figured it'd go good with my profession since I'll be doing Forest fire investigations now during the summer months.

$100 fill for each tank and goes about 200kms to a tank right now hahaha I really need to do a tune up on it to get it running right. It's running real rich right now.
another good clue as to whether it was forest service, my dash had about 25 holes (probably radio's, cb's, etc), had 18 anntenae holes on the inside of the front fender (same style as yours), ant. holes on the roof, & it had some big bolts & angle iron for what was prob. a water tank in back. on the plus side of it being ex-forest, was 99% rust free, only had 115000kms & it came with no features, but pretty much every hd option in the book, just the way i like them!

you might want to check your brake hard lines too, after putting new drums, rotors, calipers, wheel cylc.'s, pads & shoes, adjusters,springs, axle lines, & braided hoses in, every time i went to bleed them, with all that pressure, the hard lines from the prop. valve kept rupturing (5 pieces). finally ended up replacing all the hard lines.
before & afters
Name:  105.jpg
Views: 4470
Size:  61.0 KB Name:  106.jpg
Views: 3582
Size:  65.4 KB
mud destroyed the axle seals. that black gunk is brake dust, gear oil & mud
Name:  017.jpg
Views: 3767
Size:  53.9 KB Name:  019.jpg
Views: 4380
Size:  76.2 KB
stops incredibly hard now, even with the camper & quad trailer
if your ever working the back country from chwk to merrit, might see you, we do a lot of riding out there. it's also amazing how many times we've come across un-attended fires left burning
Name:  609.jpg
Views: 3576
Size:  67.8 KB
Old 05-30-2013, 09:13 AM   #4917
dubds10
Stalker Nate

Mines still has the old Cobra CB in it and the front whip. Also had another cb type radio stuck under the seat covered in gunk lol

My brakes are absolutely toast. When I got the new tires installed yesterday I had to have the truck running and foot to the floor and the rear brakes still weren't holding 100% The guy before had bought front pads, but I just went and bought another set and both sets are completely different so we'll see this weekend which is right. The rotors are fairly grooved right now as I checked yesterday when the tires were getting swap. So I gotta find some new rotors for it and possibly a brake booster. Pretty sure the rear brakes are almost dust now, forget about even any metal being in there I'm hoping to get away with just rotors and pads and drums/pads, without all the extras since it's only got 170ks on it, but I'll know for sure once it's all taken apart. I put it off last weekend because of the rain, but I also slid partly into a couple intersections so I really have to do them this weekend. Good thing I've been working from home all week

I'll take more pics of the truck and as I do the brakes to show how bad the damage is

Nate

PS: I just noticed your cowl hood. Now I know where I can trade mine during the night!!!!! hahaha I had one at my buddies shop but during the move we must have tossed it cause I can't find it now. I've been watching CL, but no 81+ hoods have come up, only pre-80s cowl.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:09 PM   #4918
dieseldawg142

good luck finding a cowl. hard to find used ones here, but every now & then you get lucky. i put an edelbrock fi on mine, & the stock hood wouldn't clear the intake & air cleaner. i bought mine from the states & had it shipped to sumas, then went & picked it up, saved myself $180 in shipping. i did score a brand new set of D60 warn hubs off cl the other month for $60!

don't want to depress you, here's most of what i did. can add about $400 more for hard lines, wheel studs, brake fluid, e-brake cables, braided lines, axle seals, tubing bender, flare tool, etc, etc.
Name:  020.jpg
Views: 3667
Size:  34.5 KB Name:  018.jpg
Views: 3619
Size:  28.8 KB
Old 05-31-2013, 09:00 AM   #4919
BONUSCAB

Quote:
Wow. A little shopping around could have saved you a ton on those purchases. My truck needs rear brakes, and I think I'll be converting to disc simply because it's cheaper to do a whole rear disc conversion than it is to just buy rear drums.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:10 AM   #4920
dubds10
Stalker Nate

Quote:
good luck finding a cowl. hard to find used ones here, but every now & then you get lucky. i put an edelbrock fi on mine, & the stock hood wouldn't clear the intake & air cleaner. i bought mine from the states & had it shipped to sumas, then went & picked it up, saved myself $180 in shipping. i did score a brand new set of D60 warn hubs off cl the other month for $60!

don't want to depress you, here's most of what i did. can add about $400 more for hard lines, wheel studs, brake fluid, e-brake cables, braided lines, axle seals, tubing bender, flare tool, etc, etc.
Attachment 1114053 Attachment 1114054
Yeah, I know I'll be waiting awhile for the cowl hood The new pads were $50 so that was good. The rotors/hubs are going to be a different story though I'm sure. The last time I did my buddies 1-ton 2wd SRW front brakes they were $160/set so I'm guessing it'll be around there again, but I haven't gone down to Lordco yet to check.

Might have to do front brakes this weekend and back brakes next month hahaha Too bad both the tires and brakes were needed right away. At least I got a killer deal on the 6 brand new 35s for $1400 taxes/install included. Now if I can get all the brakes done for a reasonable cost I'll be happy. I've been watching CL to see if I could pick anything up cheap, but nothing right now. Guys are asking $300+ for used front hub/rotor sets with complete brakes...screw that. Might end up ordering through the US depending on the prices up here.

Nate

Last edited by dubds10; 05-31-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:32 AM   #4921
dieseldawg142

Quote:
Originally Posted by BONUSCAB View Post
Wow. A little shopping around could have saved you a ton on those purchases. My truck needs rear brakes, and I think I'll be converting to disc simply because it's cheaper to do a whole rear disc conversion than it is to just buy rear drums.
maybe in the states you could, my buddy works at the parts store & i get a 30% discount. to build a truck up here is 1 1/2-2 times more, our guvment loves taxing the s**t out of us. belive you me, i shop the whole world for parts for my truck, another big killer is shipping, you guys have it so easy compared to us. my wifes envoy & my dad's silverado have rear disc, they wear out fast. yeah, there good, but i'll stick with my drums (lest i have an e-brake)
Old 05-31-2013, 03:56 PM   #4922
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Rust free '88
Not mine.
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/3832330466.html
Attached Images

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
Old 05-31-2013, 07:04 PM   #4923
dubds10
Stalker Nate

Quote:
maybe in the states you could, my buddy works at the parts store & i get a 30% discount. to build a truck up here is 1 1/2-2 times more, our guvment loves taxing the s**t out of us. belive you me, i shop the whole world for parts for my truck, another big killer is shipping, you guys have it so easy compared to us. my wifes envoy & my dad's silverado have rear disc, they wear out fast. yeah, there good, but i'll stick with my drums (lest i have an e-brake)
Speaking of e-brakes the previous owner cut mine out hahaha I should probably replace them too.

Got some prices from Lordco for the stuff.

Rotors - $87/ea
Rear drums - $180/ea
Rear pad - $100/set

Got the rotors coming in for tomorrow morning so I can do the front this weekend at least so I'll be able to stop again

So about $750 for that stuff with taxes, so if I rebuilt everything like you I'd be at the same price . I'll probably look around a bit more for the rear stuff and see if I can get it cheaper, but I doubt it'll be much by the time you take into account my driving time and gas expenses.

Last edited by dubds10; 05-31-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:36 PM   #4924
dubds10
Stalker Nate

Just checked on Rockauto.com and I'll probably order the rest of the stuff through them. Can get rear drums with shoes shipped to Bellingham for $240. If I have to pay taxes I'm still under $300 for the rear. Otherwise I'm at $460 for the rear going through Lordco up here. I figure a week wait and a hour of driving time is worth the $200 savings for me.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:06 PM   #4925
dieseldawg142

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubds10 View Post
Just checked on Rockauto.com and I'll probably order the rest of the stuff through them. Can get rear drums with shoes shipped to Bellingham for $240. If I have to pay taxes I'm still under $300 for the rear. Otherwise I'm at $460 for the rear going through Lordco up here. I figure a week wait and a hour of driving time is worth the $200 savings for me.
yeah, shipping can make or break the deal up here. can you imagine the cost to ship 200lbs of brake drum across the border. after i factor in my gas, time, duty & taxes, some things it's worth it, some aren't. my family rides in my crew, so i got "premium" parts,not really the place where cheapest is bestest anyways. don't know if you know, but if your truck ever makes it over 4"'s of lift, it's supposed to be safetied, without that e-brake, your truck's not going anywhere
Closed Thread