The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #776
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

Thanks you guys. Bit of a baad day today. Drove 30+ miles out to Pick A Part intending to pull the IFS & IRS out of a C4 Vette for my truck. Took all the tools I thought necessary but what a bust! Got the front upper A arms loose, shocks off, could NOT get lower A arms loose with the tools I brought. After many attempts I just had to quit.

Then to make matters worse, had a tread separation issue on my Dually on the way home that will cost me $200 to fix. Took it to Laughlin last week and I'm sure the heat & load of the boat contributed...but it was the front tire that crapped out! It may have been coming on since that tire was rotated from the rear, I never saw anything though.

Anyway, PUNT! The Vette parts will have to wait now. They'll be there when I go for them again with the right tools including a cordless impact driver or they will not. Back to installing irrelevant little pieces of chrome to her. I'll post again soon.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 08-17-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:20 PM   #777
fabguy
Elev8r Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Thanks you guys. Bit of a baad day today. Drove 30+ miles out to Pick A Part intending to pull the IFS & IRS out of a C4 Vette for my truck. Took all the tools I thought necessary but what a bust! Got the front upper A arms loose, shocks off, could NOT get lower A arms loose with the tools I brought. After many attempts I just had to quit.

Then to make matters worse, had a tread separation issue on my Dually on the way home that will cost me $200 to fix. Took it to Laughlin last week and I'm sure the heat & load of the boat contributed...but it was the front tire that crapped out! It may have been coming on since that tire was rotated from the rear, I never saw anything though.

Anyway, PUNT! The Vette parts will have to wait now. They'll be there when I go for them again with the right tools including a cordless impact driver or they will not. Back to installing irrelevant little pieces of chrome to her. I'll post again soon.
Posted via Mobile Device
I seen the tread separation and it was SEVERELY BADDDD. Glad you made it home ok Dan.

My F.B. project page.
fabguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:27 PM   #778
Rude Dude

Feel your pain Dan, after working on my 56 door and driver side fender I happen look at the daily driver (Suzuki SUV) low and behold the driver side tire is flat. I filled it up and found a screw in thread, I said heck with it I'll change it tomorrow.

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:59 PM   #779
Dan in Pasadena

Oh thanks Mike.

I took Route 66 the whole way as you suggested. Kept it about 35-40 (with people cussing me and flipping me the bird, ha ha!). Everyone and their dog goes to the tire store on Saturday so I'll wait til Mon or Tues to get it replaced.

Rudy, at least yours is fixable(?). The screw isn't in the sidewall - been there/done that.

Btw, "Fabguy" doesn't really stand for "Fabrication Guy" it stands for "Fabulous Guy" - No, not THAT kind if fabulous, lol. Mike offered to let me used his jack, etc to swap out my spare. But I just got back from sweating & cussing my head off under the Vette with my back in the dirt. I was in no mood to change it right then.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 08-18-2013, 10:03 AM   #780
fabguy
Elev8r Man

Thank you Dan, I like to help and I know how frustrating it can be too have a day like that.
I have had days like that myself recently and they aren't fun, it kinda makes you just want to sit and do absolutely nothing so that luck won't pop it's head up again on something else your doing.
Posted via Mobile Device

My F.B. project page.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #781
Dan in Pasadena

As the joke goes, "With my luck, if they cut a woman in half I'd get the half that eats!" Lol. Yeah, I know it's a mysoginistic joke - sorry Denee!

It was just one of those days. I made up for it by watching my historically good Dodgers win again, having a chocolate shake at Big Daddy's (you've GOTTA try that place!), then going to a concert in the park and falling asleep on the lawn. It's ALL good boys!
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 08-18-2013, 12:20 PM   #782
Number 9

Quote:
As the joke goes, "With my luck, if they cut a woman in half I'd get the half that eats!" Lol. Yeah, I know it's a mysoginistic joke - sorry Denee!

It was just one of those days. I made up for it by watching my historically good Dodgers win again, having a chocolate shake at Big Daddy's (you've GOTTA try that place!), then going to a concert in the park and falling asleep on the lawn. It's ALL good boys!
Posted via Mobile Device
"Dodgers"
Number 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:28 PM   #783
fabguy
Elev8r Man

Quote:
having a chocolate shake at Big Daddy's (you've GOTTA try that place!),
Posted via Mobile Device
Where is it at? I could use a little cruise.

My F.B. project page.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:16 PM   #784
Dan in Pasadena

http://bigdaddysfiregrill.com/contact.php

Highly recommended. It's RIGHT NEXT to an In 'n Out and is full every day anyway. Different kinda place though. They sell beer and wine, real nice covered patio with flat screen TV's, you'll like it. GREAT burgers but also salmon, turkey burgers, chicken sandwiches, yada, yada.

Lemme know if you like it. It'd be a good place to get a gathering of SoCal truck guys because there's an out business place behind it with a huge lot we could park in.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:41 PM   #785
Red Foreman

Dan, I'm gett'n hungry & thirsty just thinking about it, but unfortunately way too far away to hang out with you guy's.

My Build 56 GMC
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486721
Red Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:53 PM   #786
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Foreman View Post
Dan, I'm gett'n hungry & thirsty just thinking about it, but unfortunately way too far away to hang out with you guy's.
If you make it from Australia, I'm buying for you!

How's it going Red? My daughter's coming kind of your way week after next. She and her husband have a trip to New Zealand and Fiji planned. Obviously, not Oz but at least in the same hemisphere!

I get to stay home and take care of the grandpuppy".

Old 08-18-2013, 09:38 PM   #787
Red Foreman

I'll take you up on that Dan, a good freind of mine is planning to have his 50th in Vegas in 3 years time, so I'm putting a little money away each week before wifey spends it. I hope to make my way across to LA & catch up with relatives while there.

Its a shame your Daughter isn't making it all the way to Australia but there's always next time. I spent 4 weeks in Houston back in 1988 visiting family, I regretted not venturing across to California back then but I always thought I'd make it back sooner than later. I did however discover Fajitas & Corona's,
I can't wait to get back over & have authentic Mexican food!

My Build 56 GMC
Old 08-18-2013, 10:33 PM   #788
Dan in Pasadena

Ha ha, an Aussie jonesing for fajitas and Coronas makes me laugh for some reason. But you PICKED a good combo to like.

(This'll piss off some people) Come on over to California and get some REAL Mexican food, lol. We've got some great places I could show you in East L.A. that will stay in your memory forever!

Old 08-18-2013, 11:36 PM   #789
fabguy
Elev8r Man

Quote:
Ha ha, an Aussie jonesing for fajitas and Coronas makes me laugh for some reason. But you PICKED a good combo to like.

(This'll piss off some people) Come on over to California and get some REAL Mexican food, lol. We've got some great places I could show you in East L.A. that will stay in your memory forever!
Oh yeah, like Manny's, El Tepeyac. Just to name a couple

Oh man I am getting hungry again just thinking about it.

Posted via Mobile Device

My F.B. project page.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:05 AM   #790
Red Foreman

Ah ya see, thats what I'm talking about, the last time I tried Mexican here in Melbourne the chef was Irish and I have a feeling he was making it up as he was went along
Damn I miss Fajitas!....Oh btw Corona's made it here back in 1990. If only someone was smart enough to poach a couple of Mexican cooks, hey there's a business idea right there

Sorry for getting off topic Dan's truck, my best work is never done when I'm hungry.

My Build 56 GMC
Old 08-19-2013, 01:20 AM   #791
Dan in Pasadena

Mike, Did you hear that Manny died? Pretty sad but he was a classic. A guy I work with grew up near El Tepeyac and started working there sweeping up at age 15. He's over 60 now and when we'd go there Manny always treated us special, wanted to pour us shots of tequila!
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 08-21-2013, 01:37 AM   #792
Dan in Pasadena

Scored this split bench seat off Craigslist today:

Notice the cool ass seat bottom sheet metal aprons included with the buy below:

It's from a '53 Ford Crestliner car and was newly reupholstered when the seller bought the car "...5-6 years ago". He replaced this seat with some bucket seats. I saw the car and it was a nice in-process project.

1. It was CHEAP! Only $100!
2. This seat will let me access behind my seat after I move the gas tank.
3. It's pristine, no tears, splits, nothing.
4. I had wanted to do my seat in cloth. I was considering red/burgundy.
5. Last? Those seat aprons will be a great touch when they're painted or chromed.

Detail shot. The piping is sort of silver:

Old 08-21-2013, 07:18 AM   #793
Rude Dude

Great score Dan it will look good in the truck!

Quote:
Scored this split bench seat off Craigslist today:

Notice the cool ass seat bottom sheet metal aprons included with the buy below:

It's from a '53 Ford Crestliner car and was newly reupholstered when the seller bought the car "...5-6 years ago". He replaced this seat with some bucket seats. I saw the car and it was a nice in-process project.

1. It was CHEAP! Only $100!
2. This seat will let me access behind my seat after I move the gas tank.
3. It's pristine, no tears, splits, nothing.
4. I had wanted to do my seat in cloth. I was considering red/burgundy.
5. Last? Those seat aprons will be a great touch when they're painted or chromed.

Detail shot. The piping is sort of silver:
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:14 AM   #794
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks Rudy!
Yeah I thought it was a steal at $100. There was another one on Craigslist I liked even more in two tone red & white vinyl but the seller was asking $600! No way I was going for that. I can have my stock seat redone for less than that, but NOT for $100.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 08-21-2013, 09:50 AM   #795
Baldeagle SR

Great score. I am still looking for a seat for mine.
Rich
my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=576185
Baldeagle SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:15 AM   #796
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldeagle SR View Post
Great score. I am still looking for a seat for mine.
Rich
They're out there Rich. Hell, MINE will be out there soon enough. This seat came out of a Ford car and one of the aprons has the small riveted-in plate that says something like "Crest by by Ford" or some such. That's gotta go.

I went looking for a "Body by Fisher" plate on eBay last night but there weren't any the right size. They're oval and the Ford one is 7/8"x2-1/2" rectangular. I'll find something to put in there.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 08-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #797
Kim57

That's a real nice seat.
Kim
Old 08-21-2013, 12:36 PM   #798
Daze57

very nice seat - good find!!!
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #799
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks guys.

I'm happy with it...for now. I may have a different opiio once I try to bolt it down and have to fabricate something to make it work!

Old 08-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #800
Number 9

Good score.
Number 9 is offline   Reply With Quote